Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Drawer Dividers

Anybody know what a good wood for drawers dividers is?

I am looking for that white stuff that appears to be quite stable, must come
in about 1/8" thickness. I thought about Baltic Birch but prefer not to have
the stripes on the top edge for this.

TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 8, 4:28*pm, "Josepi" wrote:
Anybody know what a good wood for drawers dividers is?

I am looking for that white stuff that appears to be quite stable, must come
in about 1/8" thickness. I thought about Baltic Birch but prefer not to have
the stripes on the top edge for this.

TIA

You'll need to make this yourself. What machines do you have?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Make what myself? I was asking what the wood was not how to make them....LOL

I have produced a couple of dozen furniture projects over the last 45 years,
framed and finished my house (almost) and many decks and built many computer
and electronic projects.

On Jan 8, 4:28 pm, "Josepi" wrote:
Anybody know what a good wood for drawers dividers is?

I am looking for that white stuff that appears to be quite stable, must
come
in about 1/8" thickness. I thought about Baltic Birch but prefer not to
have
the stripes on the top edge for this.

TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Josepi" wrote in message
Make what myself? I was asking what the wood was not how to make
them....LOL

Hard maple makes good dividers and is light in color.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanx.

I wondered about maple but I have had a lot of warping with maple in the
past. Perhaps in thinner material for dividers it would suit.

The other problem is finding a supply of 3/8 - 1/2" stock.

"Josepi" wrote in message
Make what myself? I was asking what the wood was not how to make
them....LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/8/11 9:43 PM, Josepi wrote:
Thanx.

I wondered about maple but I have had a lot of warping with maple in the
past. Perhaps in thinner material for dividers it would suit.

The other problem is finding a supply of 3/8 - 1/2" stock.

The only time I see solid stock that thin is in craft stores in the
balsa wood bins.
The guy makes furniture and surely has a bandsaw and/or planer to re-saw
and surface.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 22:43:26 -0500, "Josepi" wrote:

Thanx.

I wondered about maple but I have had a lot of warping with maple in the
past. Perhaps in thinner material for dividers it would suit.

The other problem is finding a supply of 3/8 - 1/2" stock.

I use poplar and I rip it down from 3/4" stock so you end up with
quartersawn dividers. Easy on the tools and hardly ever have any that
bow. If I need dividers shorter than 3/4" then I usually rip them
down after the fact but nothing stopping you from planing the stock
down first if you need to. If I needed something taller then I would
use 8/4 poplar.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/8/11 10:38 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 1/8/11 9:43 PM, Josepi wrote:
Thanx.

I wondered about maple but I have had a lot of warping with maple in the
past. Perhaps in thinner material for dividers it would suit.

The other problem is finding a supply of 3/8 - 1/2" stock.

The only time I see solid stock that thin is in craft stores in the
balsa wood bins.
The guy makes furniture and surely has a bandsaw and/or planer to re-saw
and surface.

Wait a sec. You're *the guy,* right? Ok never mind.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Josepi" wrote in message
Anybody know what a good wood for drawers dividers is?

I am looking for that white stuff that appears to be quite stable, must
come
in about 1/8" thickness. I thought about Baltic Birch but prefer not to
have
the stripes on the top edge for this.

Poplar is one of the most stable easy working, fine grained wood. It is
what I would use. It also is easy to finish, and is closed grained, so it
finishes slick and smooth, easily.

Basswood works almost as easy, and has good finishing grain also, but is a
bit softer.
--
Jim in NC

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanx. I just think that 3/4 would be a little thicker (in looks) than I
wanted for cutlery dividers and other drawer things. Sometimes it's just a
matter of getting used to the thickness and then it looks normal again...LOL

I wondered about hobby shops for building kits. I know they use balsa and
one other wood that is fairly strong. Sealed it may do the job...expensive
probably.

"Kevin" wrote in message
I use poplar and I rip it down from 3/4" stock so you end up with
quartersawn dividers. Easy on the tools and hardly ever have any that
bow. If I need dividers shorter than 3/4" then I usually rip them
down after the fact but nothing stopping you from planing the stock
down first if you need to. If I needed something taller then I would
use 8/4 poplar.

-Kevin

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 22:43:26 -0500, "Josepi" wrote:
Thanx.

I wondered about maple but I have had a lot of warping with maple in the
past. Perhaps in thinner material for dividers it would suit.

The other problem is finding a supply of 3/8 - 1/2" stock.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Poplar seams to be the wood of choice and the one I figured to use but is
there a source of say 1/4" matrial in this?. I considered flooring underlay
(3/16" ??) but I believe it is only one sided and the plies would show.

"Josepi" wrote in message
Anybody know what a good wood for drawers dividers is?

I am looking for that white stuff that appears to be quite stable, must
come
in about 1/8" thickness. I thought about Baltic Birch but prefer not to
have
the stripes on the top edge for this.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 10:51:47 -0500, "Josepi" wrote:

Thanx. I just think that 3/4 would be a little thicker (in looks) than I
wanted for cutlery dividers and other drawer things. Sometimes it's just a
matter of getting used to the thickness and then it looks normal again...LOL

I guess I wasn't clear, I rip it 1/8" thick for jewelry box dividers
so they are 3/4" tall and 1/8" thick. If you use 8/4 stock you can
get 1-3/4" tall by however thick you want. If that is still not tall
enough, then you can get thin stock from wall lumber (or make it
yourself).

http://walllumber.com/thin.asp

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Josepi" wrote in message
Anybody know what a good wood for drawers dividers is?

I am looking for that white stuff that appears to be quite stable, must
come
in about 1/8" thickness. I thought about Baltic Birch but prefer not to
have
the stripes on the top edge for this.

Around these parts you can get Baltic Birch ply as thin as 1/8. Light
colored and stable as it gets.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Josepi" wrote in message
Anybody know what a good wood for drawers dividers is?

I am looking for that white stuff that appears to be quite stable, must
come
in about 1/8" thickness. I thought about Baltic Birch but prefer not to
have
the stripes on the top edge for this.

TIA

Go to Home Depot and buy an inexpensive 2" slat Venitian blind.
Disassemble.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I can see myself buying a table saw one of these days. I know too many lost
an eye and other parts with them so I have avoided it and the room space is
a factor.

Sounds like a tall rip for such a small piece. Thanx for the clarification.

"Kevin" wrote in message
I guess I wasn't clear, I rip it 1/8" thick for jewelry box dividers
so they are 3/4" tall and 1/8" thick. If you use 8/4 stock you can
get 1-3/4" tall by however thick you want. If that is still not tall
enough, then you can get thin stock from wall lumber (or make it
yourself).

http://walllumber.com/thin.asp

-Kevin

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 10:51:47 -0500, "Josepi" wrote:
Thanx. I just think that 3/4 would be a little thicker (in looks) than I
wanted for cutlery dividers and other drawer things. Sometimes it's just a
matter of getting used to the thickness and then it looks normal again...LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

NICE!!! THANX.

A friend and neighbour (fellow home builder) has old venetian blind slats he
uses for everything. It's a running joke between us to use them for window
shims and a tonne of other stuff. These are plastic though.

"Josepi" wrote in message
Anybody know what a good wood for drawers dividers is?I am looking for that
white stuff that appears to be quite stable, must
come in about 1/8" thickness. I thought about Baltic Birch but prefer not
have the stripes on the top edge for this.
TIA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 11:35:32 -0500, Josepi wrote:

I can see myself buying a table saw one of these days. I know too many
lost an eye and other parts with them so I have avoided it and the room
space is a factor.

No, no. The proper tool for resaw is the bandsaw. Get some 8/4 maple or
poplar or birch. You can resaw it to 5/16" or 3/8" and plane or
thickness sand to 1/4". Or resaw to 3/16" or 1/4" to get 1/8".

If you don't have the tools needed, buy thin lumber on line. I did a
quick Google and found several places. Among them:

http://www.kencraftstore.com/woods/soft_maple.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 11:35:32 -0500, Josepi wrote:

I can see myself buying a table saw one of these days. I know too many
lost an eye and other parts with them so I have avoided it and the room
space is a factor.

No, no. The proper tool for resaw is the bandsaw. Get some 8/4 maple or
poplar or birch. You can resaw it to 5/16" or 3/8" and plane or
thickness sand to 1/4". Or resaw to 3/16" or 1/4" to get 1/8".

If you don't have the tools needed, buy thin lumber on line. I did a
quick Google and found several places. Among them:

http://www.kencraftstore.com/woods/soft_maple.htm

There is also Advantage Lumber & Trim in Buffalo, NY:

http://www.advantagelumber.com/thinwood.htm

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"Josepi" wrote:

Anybody know what a good wood for drawers dividers is?

I am looking for that white stuff that appears to be quite stable, must come
in about 1/8" thickness. I thought about Baltic Birch but prefer not to have
the stripes on the top edge for this.

Aside from many other decent suggestions (basically resaw from planks a
lot) and along the same line as the "buy wooden venetian blinds for
premade stock if you are looking for that and can't/won't resaw..."

Bandsaw is better for resawing, takes less space, and is less prone to
the tablesaw-specific problems you are afraid of. Will still bite you if
you are stupid around it, of course - anything that cuts wood cuts
flesh. You can also resaw by hand (as usual with neander methods, much
less space and money, but more practice is helpful, and things need to
be sharp to work well.) I don't recall when, but at some point good old
Tage Frid suggested the bandsaw as a more logical first power saw for a
shop than the table saw. Someone with a FWW database/CDROM/DVD can
probably find the article, unless it was in one of this books.

Depending what size you need - popsicle sticks, tongue depressors (both
AKA craft sticks, and usually birch, I think), paint stirring sticks,
yard sticks/rulers. The hobby shop route is possible but expensive. Up
until the rulers and yardsitcjks, which used to be cheap but are less so
these days, all of these are quite cheap sources of thin stock.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave In Texas" wrote in message

"Josepi" wrote in message
Anybody know what a good wood for drawers dividers is?

I am looking for that white stuff that appears to be quite stable, must
come
in about 1/8" thickness. I thought about Baltic Birch but prefer not to
have
the stripes on the top edge for this.

Around these parts you can get Baltic Birch ply as thin as 1/8. Light
colored and stable as it gets.

Dave in Houston

Read his last sentence again.

"I thought about Baltic Birch but prefer not to
have
the stripes on the top edge for this".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/11 10:30 AM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
Anybody know what a good wood for drawers dividers is?

I am looking for that white stuff that appears to be quite stable, must
come
in about 1/8" thickness. I thought about Baltic Birch but prefer not to
have
the stripes on the top edge for this.

TIA

Go to Home Depot and buy an inexpensive 2" slat Venitian blind.
Disassemble.

Idea on the month.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 8, 7:23*pm, "Josepi" wrote:
Make what myself? I was asking what the wood was not how to make them....LOL

It seemed you were mentining what 1/8" thick material you can buy and
I was just saying that you probably need to make it if you want real
wood at 1/8" think.

If you had a planer, I would describe how to make them with that piece
of equip. and bandsaw, a tablesaw, etc.

When pure white is needed usually Bass wood or Holly are used. Clean
hard Maple can work also but you will always get some mineral color so
harder to get 100% white.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I make use of my circular saw in some weird ways.

Since I do not have a thickness planer I typically get my boards pre-planed.
In the last few years I have lost easy access to good hardwood suppliers
though.

For long ripping I typically end up taping two pieces together and then
clamping both down under a fence piece. With about 2" of show I can rip off
what I want and a half an inch under the fence piece clamped.

I hav done some weird stuff with router tables too, including creating some
arrows that shouldn't have flown across the room...LOL

"RP" wrote in message
How are you building all this stuff for 45 years and don't own or are
reluctant to use a tablesaw? Are you real good with a bandsaw or
circular saw? My tablesaw is pretty much the machine that 90% of all
my stock goes thru if it doesn't go thru anything else. ~If~ you had a
tablesaw, you could make this stock in mere moments.

RP

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanx for that. I would have to find a more local place. I am not sure how
hard they would would kick me going across the border via shipping though.
UPS and FedEx have bad reputations for this unless precleared by paying
Canuck taxes up front.

I guess I need to search for local hardwood suppliers more thoroughly, since
I will have some time coming up. I know HD is brutal to buy a piece of 3/4"
x 8" x 60" red oak for $45 here. Be the end of my hobby of that keeps
up...LOL

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
No, no. The proper tool for resaw is the bandsaw. Get some 8/4 maple or
poplar or birch. You can resaw it to 5/16" or 3/8" and plane or
thickness sand to 1/4". Or resaw to 3/16" or 1/4" to get 1/8".

If you don't have the tools needed, buy thin lumber on line. I did a
quick Google and found several places. Among them:

http://www.kencraftstore.com/woods/soft_maple.htm

On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 11:35:32 -0500, Josepi wrote:
I can see myself buying a table saw one of these days. I know too many
lost an eye and other parts with them so I have avoided it and the room
space is a factor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/11 3:46 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
I picked up some 1/8 red oak stock the other day in home depot.
I didn't have any red oak , and needed a small amount, and decided it
would do.

You reminded me.... I have seen that bin as well.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote the following:
On 1/8/11 9:43 PM, Josepi wrote:
Thanx.

I wondered about maple but I have had a lot of warping with maple in the
past. Perhaps in thinner material for dividers it would suit.

The other problem is finding a supply of 3/8 - 1/2" stock.

The only time I see solid stock that thin is in craft stores in the
balsa wood bins.

Better yet. In the craft stores they have bins of Basswood in various
thicknesses.
Harder than balsa. I used to make dollhouse furniture from it when my
girls were young.

The guy makes furniture and surely has a bandsaw and/or planer to
re-saw and surface.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

Speaking as a Cheap ******* (tm) I have made many drawer cases and
dividers from stock that was cannabalized from old dressers and other
furniture left at the curb on bulk trash pickup day. I'm not above pulling
the drawers out and leaving the carcase on the curb, then cutting the
sides, bottom, & back out for my stockpile when I get home. Many old
pieces used oak or oak strip glueups for the drawer sides and backs.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I found some nice poplar stock at HD today 1/4" x 3" x 4' long for under $10
so there is hope. Thye also had a few other handy sizes and thicknesses. It
seems last time the stuff was so dried out, warped and split to hell I just
discounted it completely.

This poplar stock is quite green in spots. Does this disapear with finishing
or is there a way to get it out. Perhaps a different supply is in order or
go to maple, if it will hold still long enough to stay in the drawers.

"Josepi" wrote in message
Anybody know what a good wood for drawers dividers is?

I am looking for that white stuff that appears to be quite stable, must
come in about 1/8" thickness. I thought about Baltic Birch but prefer not to
have the stripes on the top edge for this.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"Josepi" wrote:

I found some nice poplar stock at HD today 1/4" x 3" x 4' long for under $10
so there is hope. Thye also had a few other handy sizes and thicknesses. It
seems last time the stuff was so dried out, warped and split to hell I just
discounted it completely.

This poplar stock is quite green in spots. Does this disapear with finishing
or is there a way to get it out. Perhaps a different supply is in order or
go to maple, if it will hold still long enough to stay in the drawers.

That's tulip poplar, aka the poplar of hardwood commerce. It MAY go
brown if you leave it out in the sun, but it will be either green or
brown in those green parts, unless perhaps you bleach it.

Cottonwood/ aspen/ the poplar (or popple) of the forest, no tulip
attached, is dead white, but softer and prone to rot if it gets wet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Found a really nice possibility at the hardware / building supply store.

Finger jointed pine lattice slats sold as moldings. They come about 5/16" x
1.5", 2" and 3"

Of course they would need to be picked over to hide some of colour change
joints for nicer drawer divider looks.

"Josepi" wrote in message
Anybody know what a good wood for drawers dividers is?

I am looking for that white stuff that appears to be quite stable, must come
in about 1/8" thickness. I thought about Baltic Birch but prefer not to have
the stripes on the top edge for this.

TIA

Room Dividers and Accordion Doors liukaiyuan Woodworking 0 April 30th 08 12:28 PM
Drawer Slides Jim Brown Woodworking 4 November 15th 07 12:33 AM
Sidewalk slab dividers Puddin' Man Home Repair 5 August 1st 07 12:42 PM
Golden Ratio Dividers Morris Dovey Woodworking Plans and Photos 8 June 17th 07 04:58 PM
A question about making shoji screens or room dividers Dick Snyder Woodworking 17 March 24th 05 12:33 PM