Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sidewalk slab dividers

About 22 years ago I mixed/poured/allegedly-finished a little
sidewalk behind the house.

I used the old asphalt slab dividers. They are now totally
disintegrated. I'm not strongly inclined to try to fit
similar asphalt dividers (the gaps are a little wavy).

Any alternatives for replacement dividers?

Thx,
Puddin'

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller
Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote:
About 22 years ago I mixed/poured/allegedly-finished a little
sidewalk behind the house.

I used the old asphalt slab dividers. They are now totally
disintegrated. I'm not strongly inclined to try to fit
similar asphalt dividers (the gaps are a little wavy).

Any alternatives for replacement dividers?

I guess the question is why do you want to bother replacing them?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 19:29:14 -0500, Puddin' Man
wrote:

About 22 years ago I mixed/poured/allegedly-finished a little
sidewalk behind the house.

I used the old asphalt slab dividers. They are now totally
disintegrated. I'm not strongly inclined to try to fit
similar asphalt dividers (the gaps are a little wavy).

Any alternatives for replacement dividers?

Thx,
Puddin'

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller

Clean out the old junk and clean the crack well; let dry. Then stuff a
piece of foam backer rod (1/2 in or 5/8 diameter round foam strips
usually sold by the weather stripping) into the crack, pushing it down
about 1/2 inch. Run a bead of concrete colored urethane caulk on top
of the rod. Leave the caulk slightly below the surface of the
concrete.

Urethane caulk is great stuff. It won't last forever, but it will
probably last longer than the asphalt strip did. I did this where my
limestone step treads meet the brick risers. Been 5 years and it
still looks good.

This will only work well if the slabs are solid and don't move around
a lot.

Paul F.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:14:42 -0400, "Joseph Meehan" wrote:

Puddin' Man wrote:
About 22 years ago I mixed/poured/allegedly-finished a little
sidewalk behind the house.

I used the old asphalt slab dividers. They are now totally
disintegrated. I'm not strongly inclined to try to fit
similar asphalt dividers (the gaps are a little wavy).

Any alternatives for replacement dividers?

I guess the question is why do you want to bother replacing them?

Being as I live not on the North or South Pole, weeds grow in the
spaces. I'm tired of hitting 'em with weed killer.

Also, the sharp edges could cut my dawg's paws. Also they don't
look nice. Etc.

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller
Posted to alt.home.repair

Puddin' Man wrote:
About 22 years ago I mixed/poured/allegedly-finished a little
sidewalk behind the house.

I used the old asphalt slab dividers. They are now totally
disintegrated. I'm not strongly inclined to try to fit
similar asphalt dividers (the gaps are a little wavy).

Any alternatives for replacement dividers?

I guess the question is why do you want to bother replacing them?

Being as I live not on the North or South Pole, weeds grow in the
spaces. I'm tired of hitting 'em with weed killer.

Also, the sharp edges could cut my dawg's paws. Also they don't
look nice. Etc.

"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens!"
-Friedrich Schiller

I'd just use the fiber expansion in use now. Or you could put a crack
sealer in there (clear or asphalt)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

About 22 years ago I mixed/poured/allegedly-finished a little
sidewalk behind the house.

I used the old asphalt slab dividers. They are now totally
disintegrated. I'm not strongly inclined to try to fit
similar asphalt dividers (the gaps are a little wavy).

Any alternatives for replacement dividers?

Thx,
Puddin'

Use concrete caulk. If the crack is wider than 1/4" use a foam
backer.