Martin

Default Moving a sidewalk slab?

I've got one slab of sidewalk, about 30x48, that has drifted away from the front
porch. I'm looking for techniques to force it back, about 2", if possible.

Drive a wedge into the ground in front of it, and periodically pound it further
into the soil?

Attach a come-along to an edge, and slowly winch it closer?

Use a big ass pry bar and brute force?

Watcha think?
the_plumber

Martin wrote:
I've got one slab of sidewalk, about 30x48, that has drifted away from the front
porch. I'm looking for techniques to force it back, about 2", if possible.

Drive a wedge into the ground in front of it, and periodically pound it further
into the soil?

Attach a come-along to an edge, and slowly winch it closer?

Use a big ass pry bar and brute force?

Watcha think?

think you better denote if that measurement you gave is in inches or feet...

Daniel

I would use the mower deck that probably unaligned it in the first
place.. hehe..

just thought i'd throw some humor in there (sorry if everyone is all
serious)

Daniel

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 17:01:22 GMT, 'nuther Bob
wrote:

On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:43:07 GMT, Martin wrote:

I've got one slab of sidewalk, about 30x48, that has drifted away from the front
porch. I'm looking for techniques to force it back, about 2", if possible.

Drive a wedge into the ground in front of it, and periodically pound it further
into the soil?

Attach a come-along to an edge, and slowly winch it closer?

Use a big ass pry bar and brute force?

Watcha think?

Dig down around it on 4 sides. Put 2x4's on the surface soil next to
it. Use a steel pry bar underneath and the 2x4 as a fulcrum to lift
it and move it back into position.

Bob

jim

Martin wrote:

I've got one slab of sidewalk, about 30x48, that has drifted away from the front
porch. I'm looking for techniques to force it back, about 2", if possible.

Drive a wedge into the ground in front of it, and periodically pound it further
into the soil?

Attach a come-along to an edge, and slowly winch it closer?

Use a big ass pry bar and brute force?

Watcha think?

if its inches(30 X48 ) you might be able to wedge it back, but whats
gonna hold it in place once you get it where you want it???
might want to get some rebars about 2 to 3 ft. long and drive then into
the ground infront it it to stop it from moving any further... what
condition is the ground under it???? pretty sloppy probably if it let
the concrete travel or is it gravity taking it away from where it was
located??? find out and fix the problem.... if its 30 by 48 feet then
forget it, you would need a crane to move it and would probably crack
just about every three or four feet area.... why not just support it
from moving any further and get a few back of ready mix and patch up the
2 inchs that it moved from????
JTM

"Martin" wrote in message
s.com...
I've got one slab of sidewalk, about 30x48, that has drifted away from the

front
porch. I'm looking for techniques to force it back, about 2", if possible.

Drive a wedge into the ground in front of it, and periodically pound it

further
into the soil?

Attach a come-along to an edge, and slowly winch it closer?

Use a big ass pry bar and brute force?

Watcha think?

Total wt ~ 500 lbs. coeffecient of friction with soil 1 total force required
should be less than 500 lbs. If you have something stout to pull against the
comealong should make quick work of the job. Wedges should also work.
Mmmm...dig a hand width trench down to the bottom of the slab and get two of
your friends on each end and four on the side and just lift in back into place.
A case of beer or two should do it.

Regards,

John

Preserving cross-grain slab Matt Poese Woodworking 1 August 29th 03 08:34 PM
New Home Slab Plumbing Catastrophe jim Home Repair 22 July 29th 03 04:09 AM
Concrete slab advice John UK diy 12 July 11th 03 10:55 AM
sidewalk - using old concrete pieces in new mixture siteseer Home Repair 2 June 25th 03 06:38 PM