Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Biscuit joiners

Porter-Cable or Dewalt, Lamello is out of the question?

What say the wizards of woodworking?

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

basilisk wrote:
Porter-Cable or Dewalt, Lamello is out of the question?

What say the wizards of woodworking?

basilisk

I went with the Porter-Cable 557 as it comes with the 2" blade allowing
use of the "FF" biscuits.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

?
"basilisk" wrote in message
Porter-Cable or Dewalt, Lamello is out of the question?

What say the wizards of woodworking?

basilisk

DeWalt is acceptable, the PC just a tad nicer and can take the FF biscuit. I
had my DeWalt stolen and just replaced it with a PC, but I've not used it
yet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 8, 10:09*am, Nova wrote:
basilisk wrote:
Porter-Cable or Dewalt, Lamello is out of the question?

What say the wizards of woodworking?

basilisk

I went with the Porter-Cable 557 as it comes with the 2" blade allowing
use of the "FF" biscuits.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I bought a Lamello (Now called the Top) in the '80's as there was
nothing else around at that time. That one was stolen. Later I ended
up with a PC 557 (Type3) and a Lamello Classic. I have used other ones
and they all do the job to a certain extent.
Awesome as the Lamello is, it just isn't worth the money as the PC 557
is all *I* ever needed.
I did not like the ELU or the DeWalt (don't know anything about the
latest incarnation), the Craftsman and Ryobi and many HF-like are
usually sloppy in the cradle, awful motors, inferior blades and noisy.
So... after all that, buy the PC, you'll be happy.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"basilisk" wrote in message
Porter-Cable or Dewalt, Lamello is out of the question?

What say the wizards of woodworking?

basilisk

I'm no wizard but I vote for the PC 557.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 11:13:19 -0500, Upscale wrote:

Porter-Cable or Dewalt, Lamello is out of the question?
What say the wizards of woodworking?

You might consider going to the Festool Owners Group and advertise in the
classified section for a used biscuit joiner. The people who have bought a
Domino will have no more use for their biscuit joiners. You'd get a good
price on a joiner and might even snag a Lamello. Who knows?

I've got a Freud joiner and a box of 2000 biscuits. I'll be selling them off

I considered a domino as well and it would be a good purchase for me,
but I have outstripped my tool budget and have to concentrate on
making a few bucks before I go down that road.

I hadn't considered your suggestion but it makes sense, I'll look
into the forums and see if anything comes up.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 07:34:57 -0800 (PST), Robatoy wrote:

On Jan 8, 10:09*am, Nova wrote:
basilisk wrote:
[...]

That was my first choice as well, PC it is.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 08:52:18 -0700, Max wrote:

"basilisk" wrote in message
Porter-Cable or Dewalt, Lamello is out of the question?

What say the wizards of woodworking?

basilisk

I'm no wizard but I vote for the PC 557.

Max

Thanks,

I'm going to go with the PC.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

In ,
basilisk spewed forth:
Porter-Cable or Dewalt, Lamello is out of the question?

What say the wizards of woodworking?

basilisk

I have both, but i like my PC better because it has an additional plastic
plate that allows you to stack(double) biscuit without changing yer settings
Pretty handy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 8, 9:19*am, basilisk wrote:
Porter-Cable or Dewalt, Lamello is out of the question?

What say the wizards of woodworking?

basilisk

I bought one from HFT or similar outlet. Cheap model. The kerf of the
blade (thickness of cut) seems too wide and biscuits do not fit
tightly into the slots as (I) expected.

Are they supposed to fit tightly into the biscuit slots? Or are they
supposed to swell up after gluing?

If I took the blade to a sharpener fellow, might he reduce the kerf by
grinding down the teeth?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 17:11:22 -0800 (PST), Hoosierpopi
wrote:

On Jan 8, 9:19*am, basilisk wrote:
Porter-Cable or Dewalt, Lamello is out of the question?

What say the wizards of woodworking?

basilisk

I bought one from HFT or similar outlet. Cheap model. The kerf of the
blade (thickness of cut) seems too wide and biscuits do not fit
tightly into the slots as (I) expected.

Are they supposed to fit tightly into the biscuit slots? Or are they
supposed to swell up after gluing?

If I took the blade to a sharpener fellow, might he reduce the kerf by
grinding down the teeth?

Yeah, you could have that done. Also, look at the play in the shaft
which allows the blade to move up and down. Shimming with very thin
washers is the fix. I should do that to mine HF bisquicker, too.

--
You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will
preserve for our children this, the last best hope
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 8, 8:19*am, basilisk wrote:
Porter-Cable or Dewalt, Lamello is out of the question?

What say the wizards of woodworking?

basilisk

I have the DeWalt. It came out long ago when Porter Cable had its
original biscuit joiner that Norm used. The one with the upright
handle in back. After the DeWalt ate PC's lunch in biscuit joiners,
PC decided to copy everything about the DeWalt joiner. And finally
came out with the 557 model. Based on pictures it appears as if the
PC 557 is a good biscuit joiner. And it should be since its a 100%
copy of the very good DeWalt biscuit joiner.

If I had to do it over again, I might not get a biscuit joiner. I use
it sometimes and its handy sometimes. But I could live without it.
With the Festool Domino out, I'd look at it. Its about 4 times more
expensive than a good biscuit joiner, but might be 4 times more useful
too.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 8, 8:19*am, basilisk wrote:
Porter-Cable or Dewalt, Lamello is out of the question?

What say the wizards of woodworking?

basilisk

I have had a DeWalt for 10 years or more. Good machine

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 05:41:51 -0800 (PST), RonB wrote:

On Jan 8, 8:19*am, basilisk wrote:
Porter-Cable or Dewalt, Lamello is out of the question?

What say the wizards of woodworking?

basilisk

I have had a DeWalt for 10 years or more. Good machine

Thanks,

I've already ordered the PC, seems the consensus is that the
PC is a good machine, the tipping point for me was the ability
to use the ff biscuit out of the box.

Have you used your PB series planer yet?
I purchased one of these as well, still sitting in the crate
on my porch

basilisk

Review biscuit joiners [email protected] Home Repair 8 January 28th 09 02:30 AM
Name of Joiners used with MDF [email protected] Woodworking 7 November 13th 07 07:50 AM
Old subject - Biscuit joiners mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net Woodworking 24 September 18th 05 08:47 PM
biscuit joiners habbi Woodworking 10 May 6th 05 08:13 PM
Lamello Biscuit Joiners Geoff Woodworking 6 January 25th 05 08:51 PM