Posted to rec.woodworking

Default rolling stand for drill press needed

I'm torn between building one or just purchasing one for my Ridgid 15" drill
press. Like the idea of building one and want a nice sized footprint so as
to reduce the chance of tipping when moving. On the other hand, if I can
get a ready-made metal stand with nice 3" locking casters for substantially
less than what it will cost me to build . . . well. Am looking at the
stands at Rockler and Woodcraft but unsure what will be best.

After I get the press onto wheels I plan to add a small cabinet on the
stand.

Ultimately all my tools need to be on wheels so that I can get the cars in
the garage and constructing cabinets for the bases will be helpful.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ralph Compton wrote:
I'm torn between building one or just purchasing one for my Ridgid 15"
drill press. Like the idea of building one and want a nice sized
footprint so as to reduce the chance of tipping when moving. On the
other hand, if I can get a ready-made metal stand with nice 3" locking
casters for substantially less than what it will cost me to build . . .
well. Am looking at the stands at Rockler and Woodcraft but unsure what
will be best.

After I get the press onto wheels I plan to add a small cabinet on the
stand.

Ultimately all my tools need to be on wheels so that I can get the cars
in the garage and constructing cabinets for the bases will be helpful.

Ralph,

You might be interested in this weeks posts to the thread
"CPOworkshop.com Experience", starting from 1/3/11 I believe.
I just posted a picture of a design featuring some clever
features, which I don't take any credit for.

A picture of the design I basically decided on appears on my web site:
http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

I hope it might be helpful to you as you make your decision.
I choose not to use any plywood because I have chemical sensitivities
which make me reluctant to use it. YMMV. Good luck and have fun!

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Ralph Compton" wrote in message
I'm torn between building one or just purchasing one for my Ridgid 15"
drill press. Like the idea of building one and want a nice sized
footprint so as to reduce the chance of tipping when moving. On the
other hand, if I can get a ready-made metal stand with nice 3" locking
casters for substantially less than what it will cost me to build . . .
well. Am looking at the stands at Rockler and Woodcraft but unsure what
will be best.

After I get the press onto wheels I plan to add a small cabinet on the
stand.

Ultimately all my tools need to be on wheels so that I can get the cars in
the garage and constructing cabinets for the bases will be helpful.

My solution to the same dilemma:

http://tinyurl.com/29a63bm

If you don't have a welder or access to one the stand can be bolted
together.
So all you need is a hack saw. :-)

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ralph Compton" wrote in message
I'm torn between building one or just purchasing one for my Ridgid 15" drill
press. Like the idea of building one and want a nice sized footprint so as
to reduce the chance of tipping when moving. On the other hand, if I can
get a ready-made metal stand with nice 3" locking casters for substantially
less than what it will cost me to build . . . well. Am looking at the
stands at Rockler and Woodcraft but unsure what will be best.

After I get the press onto wheels I plan to add a small cabinet on the
stand.

Ultimately all my tools need to be on wheels so that I can get the cars in
the garage and constructing cabinets for the bases will be helpful.

On mine I added the new base on top of the factory base for a better
top surface for a future cabinet. I glued 2 pieces of 3/4 ply together and
cut it about 6" wider and longer than the DP base. I sawed out a hole
to accommodate the post and bolted it on top of the base. The new
base is flush with the front of the old base and hangs out 6" in the rear.
It doesn't stick out any further than the motor and really helps the
tendency of the DP to tip backwards. It also keeps the DP at close
to the original height for us under 6'.
Art