Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Small ambient air cleaners - which one?

Hi all -

I've got a small shop with a Onieda dust collector for various tools
with for source collection, but I'm looking for ambient collection for
dust that gets away from the main DC or from operations that have no
good collection method. My shop is small, has a low ceiling and is
pretty cramped so the bigger hanging units just won't work. I've seen
a number of smaller units and was wondering if any of you have had
experience with any of them or could give recommendations.

Jet - model afs-500, 3 speed, 283 - 440 cfm, $230.
Delta - model ap100?, 1 speed with light, 400 cfm, $230.
Shop Vac - model ac235a, 1 speed, 235 cfm, $145.

Prices are from a single source which had all 3, I would comparison
shop before buying...

Any help would be appreciated - thanks. Les
Posted to rec.woodworking

"LesT" wrote in message
Hi all -

I've got a small shop with a Onieda dust collector for various tools
with for source collection, but I'm looking for ambient collection
for
dust that gets away from the main DC or from operations that have no
good collection method. My shop is small, has a low ceiling and is
pretty cramped so the bigger hanging units just won't work. I've seen
a number of smaller units and was wondering if any of you have had
experience with any of them or could give recommendations.

Jet - model afs-500, 3 speed, 283 - 440 cfm, $230.
Delta - model ap100?, 1 speed with light, 400 cfm, $230.
Shop Vac - model ac235a, 1 speed, 235 cfm, $145.

Prices are from a single source which had all 3, I would comparison
shop before buying...

Any help would be appreciated - thanks. Les

I have the Jet, 3 speed and although I forget the air cleaning
specifics but it does clear the air as advertised. I especially like
the 3 speed since in the summer, it's my cooling system also. Shop is
approx. 11"x18" with a low ceiling.

Bob S.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"LesT" wrote in message
Hi all -

I've got a small shop with a Onieda dust collector for various tools
with for source collection, but I'm looking for ambient collection for
dust that gets away from the main DC or from operations that have no
good collection method. My shop is small, has a low ceiling and is
pretty cramped so the bigger hanging units just won't work. I've seen
a number of smaller units and was wondering if any of you have had
experience with any of them or could give recommendations.

Jet - model afs-500, 3 speed, 283 - 440 cfm, $230.
Delta - model ap100?, 1 speed with light, 400 cfm, $230.
Shop Vac - model ac235a, 1 speed, 235 cfm, $145.

Prices are from a single source which had all 3, I would comparison
shop before buying...

Any help would be appreciated - thanks. Les

I have my Jet unit hanging over the side table for the 50" fence of my table
saw. I cannot walk there anyway and the unit is up against the wall so it
circulates well.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 8, 9:03*am, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:
"LesT" wrote in message

[...]

John- Hide quoted text -

Thanks John and Bob -

My shop is a little larger than Bob's (16x24) but it's still crammed
full.
Nice Idea about hanging over table saw - mine is movable, but USUALLY
is in the same approx. space.

Les
Posted to rec.woodworking
LdB LdB is offline

On 1/7/2011 6:36 PM, LesT wrote:
Hi all -

I've got a small shop with a Onieda dust collector for various tools
with for source collection, but I'm looking for ambient collection for
dust that gets away from the main DC or from operations that have no
good collection method. My shop is small, has a low ceiling and is
pretty cramped so the bigger hanging units just won't work. I've seen
a number of smaller units and was wondering if any of you have had
experience with any of them or could give recommendations.

Jet - model afs-500, 3 speed, 283 - 440 cfm, $230.
Delta - model ap100?, 1 speed with light, 400 cfm, $230.
Shop Vac - model ac235a, 1 speed, 235 cfm, $145.

Prices are from a single source which had all 3, I would comparison
shop before buying...

Any help would be appreciated - thanks. Les

I am thinking of trying one of these for collecting dust in another
location outside of my workshop. For as simple as it seems it must
work well or Lee Vally wouldn't sell it.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...t=1,42401&ap=1

LdB

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/8/11 1:26 PM, LdB wrote:
I am thinking of trying one of these for collecting dust in another
location outside of my workshop. For as simple as it seems it must work
well or Lee Vally wouldn't sell it.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...t=1,42401&ap=1

LdB

Cheap furnace filter strapped to a box fan does the same thing.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

-MIKE- wrote in -
september.org:

On 1/8/11 1:26 PM, LdB wrote:
I am thinking of trying one of these for collecting dust in another
location outside of my workshop. For as simple as it seems it must work
well or Lee Vally wouldn't sell it.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...t=1,42401&ap=1

LdB

Cheap furnace filter strapped to a box fan does the same thing.

Neither traps the really small particles that will be the worst insult to
your lungs. You'll have to find a way to trap particles that are 1 micron
or less.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

"BobS" wrote in message

snip

I have the Jet, 3 speed and although I forget the air cleaning
specifics but it does clear the air as advertised. I especially like
the 3 speed since in the summer, it's my cooling system also. Shop is
approx. 11"x18" with a low ceiling.
Bob S.

And I thought my shop was small!!!
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/8/11 3:42 PM, Han wrote:
wrote in -
september.org:

On 1/8/11 1:26 PM, LdB wrote:
I am thinking of trying one of these for collecting dust in another
location outside of my workshop. For as simple as it seems it must work
well or Lee Vally wouldn't sell it.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...t=1,42401&ap=1

LdB

Cheap furnace filter strapped to a box fan does the same thing.

Neither traps the really small particles that will be the worst insult to
your lungs. You'll have to find a way to trap particles that are 1 micron
or less.

Dust mask?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 08 Jan 2011 21:42:40 GMT, Han wrote:

-MIKE- wrote in -
september.org:

On 1/8/11 1:26 PM, LdB wrote:
I am thinking of trying one of these for collecting dust in another
location outside of my workshop. For as simple as it seems it must work
well or Lee Vally wouldn't sell it.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...t=1,42401&ap=1

Hooowee, they's proud of them thangs, ain't they?

Cheap furnace filter strapped to a box fan does the same thing.

No, they take 80% of the airflow away. Even the 20-micron filters.
Tried it twice and never got much air through either type, 5 or 20.

Neither traps the really small particles that will be the worst insult to
your lungs. You'll have to find a way to trap particles that are 1 micron
or less.

Right you are, Han. HEPA filters spec to 0.3 microns.

--
You and I have a rendezvous with destiny. We will
preserve for our children this, the last best hope

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Artemus" wrote in message

"BobS" wrote in message

snip

I have the Jet, 3 speed and although I forget the air cleaning
specifics but it does clear the air as advertised. I especially
like
the 3 speed since in the summer, it's my cooling system also. Shop
is
approx. 11"x18" with a low ceiling.
Bob S.

And I thought my shop was small!!!
Art

Yep - but good things come in small packages..........;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Cheap furnace filter strapped to a box fan does the same thing.

Neither traps the really small particles that will be the worst insult to
your lungs. You'll have to find a way to trap particles that are 1 micron
or less.

Yep. It also takes air pressure to blow air and dust though fine filters.
Bladed fans are very poor at building pressure.

You need a squirrel cage blower. You can go to any heating supply company
and get a used one out of a retired air handler, and roll your own. If you
don't have room for one in your shop, you can put it outside, and pull air
from the shop and return the filtered air to the shop.
--
Jim in NC

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/9/11 12:18 AM, Morgans wrote:

Cheap furnace filter strapped to a box fan does the same thing.

Neither traps the really small particles that will be the worst insult to
your lungs. You'll have to find a way to trap particles that are 1 micron
or less.

Yep. It also takes air pressure to blow air and dust though fine
filters. Bladed fans are very poor at building pressure.

You need a squirrel cage blower. You can go to any heating supply
company and get a used one out of a retired air handler, and roll your
own. If you don't have room for one in your shop, you can put it
outside, and pull air from the shop and return the filtered air to the
shop.

That's great idea. The cheapest I've seen those hanging box air
cleaners is $100.
I wonder if one of those used blowers could be had for under 40 bucks.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
[...]

Offer 10 or 20 bucks. Get one with multi speed capabilities if you can.

These are going to the dump to be recycled, if you do not recycle them
first. They would be getting more than scrap costs with your offer.

One thing I will tell you to help you convert one, because it is
counter-intuitive.

If you hook up a blower, and it either trips the breaker or trips the
motor's thermal overload protection, or draws more amps than the motor plate
says it should, you can make it draw less power. Block off the size of the
blower's exit duct until it draws the amount of power it can sustain. It
does not make sense, but it will speed up and draw less power.
--
Jim in NC