Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bandsaw Magic

I saw this guy at the NJ Wood Show last year. The bandsaw has the
lower guide removed and the replacement guide, which makes it all
possible, is a pricey $180 from Carter.

http://www.wimp.com/bandsawmagic/
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article 09c7faf4-6f96-43dc-902e-
, says...

I saw this guy at the NJ Wood Show last year. The bandsaw has the
lower guide removed and the replacement guide, which makes it all
possible, is a pricey $180 from Carter.

http://www.wimp.com/bandsawmagic/

I wonder how many of those deer he had to make before he got it down to
where he could do it all freehand without markings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Kimosabe" wrote in message
I saw this guy at the NJ Wood Show last year. The bandsaw has the
lower guide removed and the replacement guide, which makes it all
possible, is a pricey $180 from Carter.

http://www.wimp.com/bandsawmagic/

If it was only $1.80 it would be wasted on me. No way I could do that
freehand. Or non-freehand in less than a few tries and many hours.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Kimosabe" wrote in message
I saw this guy at the NJ Wood Show last year. The bandsaw has the
lower guide removed and the replacement guide, which makes it all
possible, is a pricey $180 from Carter.

http://www.wimp.com/bandsawmagic/

If it was only $1.80 it would be wasted on me. No way I could do that
freehand. Or non-freehand in less than a few tries and many hours.

My new nickname would be Stumpy.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Kimosabe" wrote in message
I saw this guy at the NJ Wood Show last year. The bandsaw has the
lower guide removed and the replacement guide, which makes it all
possible, is a pricey $180 from Carter.

http://www.wimp.com/bandsawmagic/

FWIW, It is not the guides, it is the saw and or blade. If you will watch
the video again you will notice the blade moving back and forth as he makes
the turns. A guide should prevent this type movement. The upper guide in
this video is certainly not doing any thing.

Additionally, I watched a MiniMax rep do the same thing with the blade guard
fully raised with absolutely no blade guides at all, top or bottom.
According to him you don't need guides if you have a good BS.

Further, I was fed up with tracking problems and noise problems coming from
roller guides. Some blades did well on my short lived Rikon some did
poorly. After upgrading to a Laguna BS it does not matter what kind or
brand of blade I use, all work well with little to no effort regauding guide
adjustments going from one size or brand to another.

Posted to rec.woodworking

It is true that the guides are not doing anything here since the guide
is all the way up.

I have seen this demo many times at the WW shows. And I noticed that
early on. At the time they were trying to sell the carter guide with
the single supported bearing behind the blade and the olson blades.

TWC (now out of business sorry to say. I used to get casters from them
real nice and inexpensive) was responsible for the demo.

The guys doing it had to have lots of practice.

On 1/3/2011 12:33 PM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/3/11 11:33 AM, Leon wrote:
After upgrading to a Laguna BS it does not matter what kind or
brand of blade I use, all work well with little to no effort regauding guide
adjustments going from one size or brand to another.

That would be worth the price of admission, alone.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Kimosabe" wrote in message
I saw this guy at the NJ Wood Show last year. The bandsaw has the
lower guide removed and the replacement guide, which makes it all
possible, is a pricey $180 from Carter.

http://www.wimp.com/bandsawmagic/

If it was only $1.80 it would be wasted on me. No way I could do that
freehand. Or non-freehand in less than a few tries and many hours.

My new nickname would be Stumpy.

Steve

20 or 25 years ago at a Model Engineering Show in or somewhere near
London there was a guy demoing a power jig saw. For a pound or two a
child could write out his or her name on a piece of paper. He would take
a strip of wood and freehand that name in interlocking letters which
came apart. He did use a drill for the holes in letters like B. He went
just as fast as the guy in the video. He once broke a blade. It took him
less than 30 seconds to change. It takes practice and a good visual
sense. If you don't have the latter no amount of practice will help.

CP.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pilgrim" wrote in message
news

"Kimosabe" wrote in message
[...]

And then reality sets in ...................... oops

Posted to rec.woodworking

A much better deer made from solid cherry sits
on one of end tables at home.

It was done a few years back at the IWF in Atlanta by
the Carter rep.

Bandsaw Magic Larry Jaques Woodworking 4 January 4th 11 03:42 AM
Magic liquid Phil Hansen[_2_] Woodturning 16 January 7th 09 05:48 PM
The magic of RS [email protected] Woodworking 0 September 28th 07 02:53 AM
TuffTooth vs Timber Wolf bandsaw bandsaw comparision Paul Currie Woodworking 0 January 30th 06 11:17 PM
4 x 6 bandsaw motor magic smoke David Billington Metalworking 4 March 9th 05 12:51 AM