tillius

Default Dust collector exhaust air bong filter

Has anyone tried using a water filled container as a filter for dust
collector exhaust air? Sort of like a bong in reverse - the dirty air
gets exhaused under water and bubbles up to the top, where the water
will filter out all the sub-micron dust?

I'm just looking for a cheapskate alternative to 0.5 micron filter
bags.

Any suggestions, comments or other ideas?

Tillman
Wolf Lahti

Tillman said

Has anyone tried using a water filled container as a filter for dust
collector exhaust air? Sort of like a bong in reverse - the dirty air
gets exhaused under water and bubbles up to the top, where the water
will filter out all the sub-micron dust?

I'm just looking for a cheapskate alternative to 0.5 micron filter
bags.

Any suggestions, comments or other ideas?

then John, in Minnesota, said

The Borg and other places sell exactly that for sanding drywall. It
should work for fine wood dust.

Probably a real bitch to clean, however.
Mark

tillius wrote:
Has anyone tried using a water filled container as a filter for dust
collector exhaust air? Sort of like a bong in reverse -

Bong?

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice
there is.

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens, A.K.A.
Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the suspense.
(Gaz, r.moto)

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
tillius wrote:
Has anyone tried using a water filled container as a filter for dust
collector exhaust air? Sort of like a bong in reverse - the dirty air
gets exhaused under water and bubbles up to the top, where the water
will filter out all the sub-micron dust?

I'm just looking for a cheapskate alternative to 0.5 micron filter
bags.

Any suggestions, comments or other ideas?

"Rainbow" makes/made a vacuum cleaner that works in exactly that fashion.
With only 'so-so' effectiveness at keeping the really fine stuff down.

I'd see _practical_ difficulties with a dust-collector -- due to the
_volume_ of air involved, and the need to have _little_ bubbles. Which
translates into the need for a non-trivial area of bubble-generation.
WAG says probably 'several' square _feet_ per 1000 CFM capacity.

Not to mention the static-pressure requirement. A water filter induces
A back-pressure of _at_least_ 1-1/4 PSI, per inch of water depth. the
effectiveness of particle removal goes up as (a) the bubbles get smaller,
and (b) the depth of the water gets greater. To scrub _small_ particles,
you may need several inches of water, _and_ some 'mesh' layers (to break
up larger bubbles that have formed by coalesense).

With proper consideration of design, one can probably cobble up something
that will work. It likely won't be simple, nor inexpensive (regardless of
how 'cheap' it's built , however.
Noons

Robert Bonomi wrote:

Has anyone tried using a water filled container as a filter for dust
collector exhaust air? Sort of like a bong in reverse - the dirty air
gets exhaused under water and bubbles up to the top, where the water
will filter out all the sub-micron dust?

I'm just looking for a cheapskate alternative to 0.5 micron filter
bags.

Any suggestions, comments or other ideas?

"Rainbow" makes/made a vacuum cleaner that works in exactly that fashion.
With only 'so-so' effectiveness at keeping the really fine stuff down.

Actually, my shop vacuum cleaner uses the same thing. A very old
one, "Thermax" or whatever the name of the company was. I've got it in-line
with a centrifugal cleaner. The water filter is the last element.
All I can say is: it works a treat. Not one bit of fine stuff gets out of
that wet bucket. If it gets into the intake, then it's gone.
I'm surprised the system is not more widely used. It makes a lot of
sense to me.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto
Sandy

On Mon, 17 May 2004 21:35:29 +1000, Noons
posted:

Robert Bonomi wrote:

[...]

I would guess that bubbling that volume of air through water would be
a real task. Sure a large wet filter pad might be effective, but what
about running the exhaust air through a spray chamber? I'm sure that
would get rid of most of the fines. The commercial/industrial way is
to run it through a grid of electrostatically charged wires and
electrostatically precipitate all solids.

I once had a monstrous centrifugal fan directing air into my lounge
room with mist sprays directed into the intake. The effect was
fabulous on a hot, dry day, and the ferns in the lounge room just
loved it
mttt

"Mark" wrote in message

Bong?

Slang. Water pipe.

Roy Smith

In article ,
"mttt" wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message

Bong?

Slang. Water pipe.

If he doesn't know what a bong is, he probably thinks "water pipe" has
something to do with plumbing.

Try googling for "hookah".
JG

Roy Smith wrote:
In article ,
"mttt" wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
.. .

Bong?

Slang. Water pipe.

If he doesn't know what a bong is, he probably thinks "water pipe" has
something to do with plumbing.

Try googling for "hookah".

puff, puff, pass

--
John G. in Memphis, TN Just Say(tm P.L.): "Howdy Officer"
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

/..

By Tue, 18 May 2004 03:28:04 GMT, JG
decided to post " Dust collector exhaust air bong filter" to
rec.woodworking:

Roy Smith wrote:
In article ,
"mttt" wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
. ..

Bong?

Slang. Water pipe.

If he doesn't know what a bong is, he probably thinks "water pipe" has
something to do with plumbing.

Try googling for "hookah".

puff, puff, pass

Bogart.

/..

--

find / -iname "*gw*" -exec rm -r {} \;

In heaven, there is no beer,
That's why we drink it here,
And when we're all gone from here,
Our friends will be drinking all the beer!
-- Famous old Czech song about beer --
Jay Pique

/.. wrote:

By Tue, 18 May 2004 03:28:04 GMT, JG
decided to post " Dust collector exhaust air bong filter" to
rec.woodworking:

Roy Smith wrote:
In article ,
"mttt" wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
.. .

Bong?

Slang. Water pipe.

If he doesn't know what a bong is, he probably thinks "water pipe" has
something to do with plumbing.

Try googling for "hookah".

puff, puff, pass

Bogart.

LOL.

Dust Collectors: A killer health hazard! Clarke Echols Woodworking 14 March 24th 04 03:26 AM
Recommend Ducting For JET 1.5 HP Canister Dust Collector Jay Chan Woodworking 2 March 12th 04 08:22 PM
Dust Collection Bob Davis Woodworking 13 January 3rd 04 10:38 PM
FS: [Seattle Area] Jet Dust Collector with Filter Canister DC-1100CK Anil Kalagatla Woodworking 3 November 7th 03 11:19 PM