Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Is there a tool

that one can stick over the protruding end of a dowel that spins, and
returns the dowel to original size? This one has goo and gunk all over it.
Or is this a hand job? I have a Foredom, and razor knife, and can do a
decent job. Just wondered if there is a specific tool for this.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
that one can stick over the protruding end of a dowel that spins, and
returns the dowel to original size? This one has goo and gunk all over
it. Or is this a hand job? I have a Foredom, and razor knife, and can do
a decent job. Just wondered if there is a specific tool for this.

I'd think that driving the dowel through a dowel plate would work... e.g.,
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?grp=1239

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
that one can stick over the protruding end of a dowel that spins, and
returns the dowel to original size? This one has goo and gunk all over
it. Or is this a hand job? I have a Foredom, and razor knife, and can do
a decent job. Just wondered if there is a specific tool for this.

BTW, it wouldn't be too difficult to make a dowel plate for occasional use
for a single size... a drill of desired size and a chamfer bit applied to a
piece of steel via a drill press. the L-N plates is intended to last and
offer various sizes.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 20:35:15 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

that one can stick over the protruding end of a dowel that spins, and
returns the dowel to original size? This one has goo and gunk all over it.
Or is this a hand job? I have a Foredom, and razor knife, and can do a
decent job. Just wondered if there is a specific tool for this.

Tenoners will do that, but they usually leave a radius on 'em.
http://www.veritastools.com/products/Page.aspx?p=155

You can make or buy a rounding plane which will work all the way down
to the flat. http://tinyurl.com/2wjeahh It's basically a hole in a
piece of wood with a blade slightly protruding into it. You can make
one with any plane blade (or a sharpened piece of metal for simple
glue removal.)

--
Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins
when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message
Steve B wrote:
that one can stick over the protruding end of a dowel that spins, and
returns the dowel to original size? This one has goo and gunk all
over it. Or is this a hand job? I have a Foredom, and razor knife,
and can do a decent job. Just wondered if there is a specific tool
for this.
Steve

A die and light sanding but why would you bother to reclaim a used piece
of dowel?

--

dadiOH

It's already cemented to the upright, and I thought it would be better than
removing it and replacing. Or should I just remove and replace the whole
thing? Drilling them out exactly is a crap shoot.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 30, 11:35*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
that one can stick over the protruding end of a dowel that spins, and
returns the dowel to original size? *This one has goo and gunk all over it.
Or is this a hand job? *I have a Foredom, and razor knife, and can do a
decent job. *Just wondered if there is a specific tool for this.

Steve

I may be missing the point, but it seems to make more sense to replace
a dowel rather than invest too much time and effort in its
restoration. The humble dowel is, after all, rather inexpensive.
Most of the solutions offered here seem to be using a canon to kill a
fly.

Joe G
Posted to rec.woodworking

"GROVER" wrote in message
On Dec 30, 11:35 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
that one can stick over the protruding end of a dowel that spins, and
returns the dowel to original size? This one has goo and gunk all over it.
Or is this a hand job? I have a Foredom, and razor knife, and can do a
decent job. Just wondered if there is a specific tool for this.

Steve

I may be missing the point, but it seems to make more sense to replace
a dowel rather than invest too much time and effort in its
restoration. The humble dowel is, after all, rather inexpensive.
Most of the solutions offered here seem to be using a canon to kill a
fly.

Joe G

I am a rank newbie. So, is it better for me to pull/dig/drill/cut out the
dowel that is firmly in place and replace it? Seems to me that I would want
to save the part that is firmly attached, and somewhat finished without
gouging a new hole. The part of the chair is the upright, so it would be
difficult/impossible to get it up to my big drill press and drill a true
hole. Same with hand held DeWalt drill. I just thought that the existing
dowel is oriented correctly, glued into the upright solid, and was looking
at the best way to dress the full length nub prior to regluing and
reassembly.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

that one can stick over the protruding end of a dowel that spins, and
returns the dowel to original size? This one has goo and gunk all over it.
Or is this a hand job? I have a Foredom, and razor knife, and can do a
decent job. Just wondered if there is a specific tool for this.

Steve

Based on your other explanation that the dowel is stuck in something I
guess you mean the tool covers the dowel, and spins around the dowel
and cleans it. I haven't heard of such a tool.

Depending on what the goo and gunk consists of, it might soften with
some heat, or vinegar, and be easily scraped off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/31/10 11:49 AM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
On Dec 30, 11:35 pm, "Steve wrote:
[...]

Like you said, you're a rank newbie.... with a drill press? :-)

If you're new to woodworking, you may think drilling it out and
replacing it may be difficult. One more experienced might recognize it's
probably easier and perhaps more effective to drill it out and replace
it. Bottom line is you need to do what you're comfortable doing.

Any number and/or combination of things such as sandpaper, rasp, files,
chisels, etc., could clean up the end of the dowel in not much time at
all, even for a rank newbie.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/30/2010 10:35 PM, Steve B wrote:
that one can stick over the protruding end of a dowel that spins, and
returns the dowel to original size? This one has goo and gunk all over it.
Or is this a hand job? I have a Foredom, and razor knife, and can do a
decent job. Just wondered if there is a specific tool for this.

Steve

Heh heh. He said "hand job". Heh heh.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Dec 30, 11:35 pm, "Steve wrote:
[...]

New development. Upon cleaning the joint, I found the end of a pin nail
protruding out the side of the dowel, but not enough to grab it. Had I gone
in with a drill bit, it would not have been good. So, I cleaned the
protruding dowel, may put a pin nail in the new joint into the protruding
dowel or not. Just have to see how sturdy it is. The chair is one with
those two piece side arms that is weak from the start. Dowel at the start,
at the 90 down, and at the end that joins to the seat.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
On 12/30/2010 10:35 PM, Steve B wrote:
that one can stick over the protruding end of a dowel that spins, and
returns the dowel to original size? This one has goo and gunk all over
it.
Or is this a hand job? I have a Foredom, and razor knife, and can do a
decent job. Just wondered if there is a specific tool for this.

Steve

Heh heh. He said "hand job". Heh heh.

Hey, what happens in the shop stays in the shop.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/31/10 12:15 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 12/30/2010 10:35 PM, Steve B wrote:
that one can stick over the protruding end of a dowel that spins, and
returns the dowel to original size? This one has goo and gunk all over
it.
Or is this a hand job? I have a Foredom, and razor knife, and can do a
decent job. Just wondered if there is a specific tool for this.

Steve

Heh heh. He said "hand job". Heh heh.

You started the NYE celebrations a little early this year?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
No Name

QUICK & SIMPLE
Steve: Clamp two boards together, at the center drill through a hole apx
1/16" larger than the dowel. place sand paper in the half holes and hand
clamp around dowel twist and sand away the gunk. You may have to change the
size of the bit to make allowance for the thickness of the paper.
"Steve B" wrote in message
that one can stick over the protruding end of a dowel that spins, and
returns the dowel to original size? This one has goo and gunk all over
it. Or is this a hand job? I have a Foredom, and razor knife, and can do
a decent job. Just wondered if there is a specific tool for this.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 12/31/10 12:15 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 12/30/2010 10:35 PM, Steve B wrote:
that one can stick over the protruding end of a dowel that spins, and
returns the dowel to original size? This one has goo and gunk all over
it.
Or is this a hand job? I have a Foredom, and razor knife, and can do a
decent job. Just wondered if there is a specific tool for this.

Steve

Heh heh. He said "hand job". Heh heh.

You started the NYE celebrations a little early this year?

--

-MIKE-

Since I retired five years ago, every day is New Year's Eve!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE.

GOD BLESS US ALL AND SAVE US FROM THE KING.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 15:12:09 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 12/31/10 12:15 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
On 12/30/2010 10:35 PM, Steve B wrote:
that one can stick over the protruding end of a dowel that spins, and
returns the dowel to original size? This one has goo and gunk all over
it.
Or is this a hand job? I have a Foredom, and razor knife, and can do a
decent job. Just wondered if there is a specific tool for this.

Steve

Heh heh. He said "hand job". Heh heh.

You started the NYE celebrations a little early this year?

--

-MIKE-

Since I retired five years ago, every day is New Year's Eve!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYONE.

Nappy Hoo Year's Eve right back, Steve.

GOD BLESS US ALL AND SAVE US FROM THE KING.

Y'mean The Chosen One? Yeah, Crom help us.

--
Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins
when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in
order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary.
-- Peter Minard
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/31/2010 12:51 PM, Jim Weisgram wrote:
On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 20:35:15 -0800, "Steve B"

that one can stick over the protruding end of a dowel that spins, and
returns the dowel to original size? This one has goo and gunk all over it.
Or is this a hand job? I have a Foredom, and razor knife, and can do a
decent job. Just wondered if there is a specific tool for this.

Based on your other explanation that the dowel is stuck in something I
guess you mean the tool covers the dowel, and spins around the dowel
and cleans it. I haven't heard of such a tool.

Sandpaper is the tool.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 12:23:12 -0500, Jack Stein
wrote:

[...snip...]

Sandpaper is the tool.

I'd suggest avoiding sandpaper unless you have to. Depending on how
hard the glue/gunk is, you might end up removing too much wood and
then the dowel wouldn't fit as well in the new joint. If that happens,
glue with epoxy, maybe adding microballoons.

If you can soften and remove the glue without removing wood, you will
likely have a stronger final joint.

If I couldn't soften the glue, then I'd try a card scraper before I'd
use sandpaper, again trying to not remove too much wood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 30 2010, 11:35*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
that one can stick over the protruding end of a dowel that spins, and
returns the dowel to original size? **Just wondered if there is a specific tool for this.

Dowel chucked up in drill/drill press, strip of sanpaper looped over
dowel sanding until diameter is purr fect.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...snip...]

Sandpaper is the tool.

I'd suggest avoiding sandpaper unless you have to. Depending on how
hard the glue/gunk is, you might end up removing too much wood and
then the dowel wouldn't fit as well in the new joint. If that happens,
glue with epoxy, maybe adding microballoons.

If you can soften and remove the glue without removing wood, you will
likely have a stronger final joint.

If I couldn't soften the glue, then I'd try a card scraper before I'd
use sandpaper, again trying to not remove too much wood.

I would use a utility blade pocket knife and perhaps a 1/2 inch chisel for
places the knife could not reach. Good practice to control these tools on a
job like that.
--
Jim in NC