Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ever hear of a TRYON* bit brace?

Just getting back into woodworking, neanderstyle after a long layoff.
During the layoff I accumulated quite a few vintage user tools. Since
space is limited, at the present I am keeping the necessary tools and
only one of each necessary tool (not selling, just storing until space
is acquired!) Anyway, I was going through my stash of about 10 braces
trying to decide on which is best to use. Never heard of a Tyron, but
is is a bit heavier than most and seems pretty stout. Anyone have
info on how it compares to other braces?
Posted to rec.woodworking

No, but I did have a tailor tell me to TRYON a pair of pants...and
braces hold up pants. Not sure of the connection, though.

Post a picture of your brace collection so people can take a look at
your choices.

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to RicodJour, Ctyankeewoodworker wrote:
ricodjour wrote:

No, but I did have a tailor tell me to TRYON a pair of pants...and
braces hold up pants. Not sure of the connection, though.
Post a picture of your brace collection so people can take a look at
your choices.

Just found and bought one yesterday at flea market--had never seen one
before, but seems very well made. Only $5, so now I have another good
bit-brace I'll probably never use . . .

Posted to rec.woodworking

ricodjour wrote:

No, but I did have a tailor tell me to TRYON a pair of pants...and
braces hold up pants. Not sure of the connection, though.
Post a picture of your brace collection so people can take a look at
your choices.

Just found and bought one yesterday at flea market--had never seen one
before, but seems very well made. Only $5, so now I have another good
bit-brace I'll probably never use . . .

I believe they were made by or for the Edward K Tryon Co of
Philadelphia PA back in the early 1900s. - who were a large hardware
and sporting equipment wholesaler at that time..

Old Brace id? Stupendous Man Metalworking 10 April 24th 08 03:00 PM
"Do yo hear what I hear?" was Recession is a given. Can we avoid a Bush Depression? Larry Jaques Metalworking 1 April 3rd 08 04:02 AM
2101 brace, my first AAvK Woodworking 2 May 16th 05 09:52 AM
Using an old brace as a wrench? AAvK Woodworking 23 February 3rd 05 06:35 PM
Joist Brace alternatives ? NFrames Woodworking 5 September 10th 04 07:45 PM