NFrames

Default Joist Brace alternatives ?

Greetings,

Is there a current version of the "joist brace" made?

http://www.antiquetools.co.uk/0385.html

http://members.brandx.net/websites/b...y/skinner.html

It would seem that a drill chuck that accepts a 3/8ths, 1/2" etc.
ratchet drive on the end opposite the drill bit, would be just the
thing in some situations - and yet I can't seem to find such a
critter. With all the accessories and attachments available for
socket sets, I guess I am somewhat incredulous that no one offers such
a beast. Maybe I have answered my own question, but I can't help but
shake my head some.

I am well aware of the right angle adapters designed to go on electric
drills, and indeed Milwaukee and Makita make right angle drills, but
it would seem that the whole thing would get rather heavy and unweildy
when standing on a 6 foot step ladder and holding it over your head...

Garrett Wade sells a ratcheting bit brace with a chuck that is
removable.

http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?...oductID=106391

The end of the brace ratchet is a standard 1/2" "stud" for lack of a
better term, that will let you use your 1/2" drive sockets, etc. That
would presumably mean the drill chuck has the necessary 1/2" female
receptacle - but they make no mention of that in their catalog copy.
Nor do they seem to sell JUST the chuck...

What I wound up doing was taking a 1/2 Jacobs chuck, a 1" 1/2X20 bolt
and screwing the bolt into the chuck. Now I can ratchet away with
either a ratcheting box end wrench, or ratchet drive, but it'd be nice
if the chuck came as an attachment for your socket set. Or have I
missed something?
FEngelman

milwaukee hole hawg!!!!

Seems like the joist brace has the advantage of the handle mounted on the
same axis as the bit so you can apply pressure.
Would also seem that using a hacksaw and doing a bit of brazing that you
could create one from a typical brace.

As for the amount of effort, the makita right angle drills don't weigh much
and are much LESS work than cranking a joist brace a half revolution at a
time.

-Jack

"NFrames" wrote in message
om...
[...]

NFrames

patriarch wrote in message

What's wrong with using the old style tool?

Paying new style prices for them! 'sides, that doesn't answer the
question - is there a current version made?

Floor joist sistering question Neil Home Repair 13 February 1st 04 08:59 PM
floor joist RB Home Repair 1 January 23rd 04 06:42 PM
more surprises - rotten joist and no lintel! Niel A. Farrow UK diy 3 August 15th 03 08:36 PM
Replacing damaged joists DjB UK diy 14 July 16th 03 12:42 PM