Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Inspiration for router bit storage

Here's a plan that I liked for router bit storage. Mine's quite a bit
like that but not. This is from woodsmith. No affiliation, blah, blah.
Made it myself. Works great!

http://www.woodsmithshop.com/downloa...age-center.pdf

Hope the link works.

RP

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RP" wrote in message
Here's a plan that I liked for router bit storage. Mine's quite a bit
like that but not. This is from woodsmith. No affiliation, blah, blah.
Made it myself. Works great!

http://www.woodsmithshop.com/downloa...age-center.pdf

Hope the link works.

RP

Made several of this type for drill bits, router bits, air chuck devices,
screwdrivers, chisels, many things. All oriented to show the top side of
the tool to make an easy selection. Very handy when putting up so you can
see if you're missing anything, or if your brother-in-law or son has been in
your shop. All very inexpensive and space saving. Of course, the
scrollwork, routing, staining, varnishing, and engraving are optional to go
along with your feminine side ....................................... And
then there's labeling for the anal crowd.............................

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 28, 12:27*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"RP" wrote in message

[...]

My shop has been getting clustered up lately and it's nice to get some
sort of order. I get going on things and everything seems to get
tossed aside temporarily (as if). I'm afraid I have 10 lbs. of sh#t in
a 5 lb.hole. Labeling is out for me...mostly. The more I keep stuff in
a known location the more luck I have when I need it.

RP

Posted to rec.woodworking

RP wrote:

My shop has been getting clustered up lately and it's nice to get some
sort of order. I get going on things and everything seems to get
tossed aside temporarily (as if). I'm afraid I have 10 lbs. of sh#t in
a 5 lb.hole. Labeling is out for me...mostly. The more I keep stuff in
a known location the more luck I have when I need it.

My router bits store nicely on the top of my table saw. I cleverly use
other tools to create blockades that prevent them from rolling of and
hitting the floor. That serves the double purpose of keeping those other
tools within an easy hand's reach. When I need to use my tablesaw, the
drill press table makes another very convenient storage location. When I
run out of storage space, I just bring in another flat surface into the
shop. Sorta an orgainc thing if you know what I mean. I agree - labeling
sucks. If I did that I'd have labels all over the shop, and be really
confused where to find those damned router bits.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RP" wrote in message
Here's a plan that I liked for router bit storage. Mine's quite a bit
like that but not. This is from woodsmith. No affiliation, blah, blah.
Made it myself. Works great!

http://www.woodsmithshop.com/downloa...age-center.pdf

Hope the link works.

RP

Link works.

I prefer to keep mine in a drawer, however. I have a drawer unit underneath
my outfeed table where I keep my routers, bits, and tools for them, as well
as some router accessories. I didn't do this until last year when I stole
the idea from a couple of other shops. As soon as I have time, I plan to
make another to go underneath my assembly table for tools I use alot
(nailers, fasteners, sanders, screw guns, drills, etc.

Between the outfeed and assembly tables is where I do most of my small work.
It has been a time-saver for me. Might work for others.

One of the best things I have ever done is to make two tall cabinets for
storage of my power tools and pneumatic tools (10 years ago). Eight years
ago I made a 28-drawer fastener cabinet which has been a life saver. I
forgot... I also made a tall cabinet for my hand tools. It was a pain and
an expense making these storage things, but it has paid many times over.

Sometimes nothing works at all when I leave stuff all over the shop with
nothing in it's place! I admit that sometimes I get lazy.

My Dad always quoted the phrase "a place for everything, and everything in
it's place", but he didn't have a place for everything. After many years, I
still don't have a good way to keep some stuff, but I'm working one it.

End of rant. woodstuff