Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Another ignorant router table question

Does the size of the router box make a difference with the dust collection?

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/26/2010 9:32 PM, SBH wrote:
Does the size of the router box make a difference with the dust collection?
Thanks

Depends on how many big ignorants you are going to route.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 26, 8:40*pm, Lil Abner wrote:
On 12/26/2010 9:32 PM, SBH wrote: Does the size of the router box make a difference with the dust collection?
Thanks

Depends on how many big ignorants you are going to route.

OOOooohhhhh! Now there is a new low. Even for this group :^}

Well done!

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

Assuming this is a serious question, which is doubtful, the simple answer
is, "yes." Of even more importance is the amount of air flow you have
through the chamber housing the router (assuming you are talking about an
enclosed router table and not a shelf with a router hanging on it.)

Deb

SBH wrote:

Does the size of the router box make a difference with the dust
collection?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message

Assuming this is a serious question, which is doubtful, the simple answer
is, "yes." Of even more importance is the amount of air flow you have
through the chamber housing the router (assuming you are talking about an
enclosed router table and not a shelf with a router hanging on it.)

Deb

I did say "ignorant" question. Yes, it is serious and yes, it is enclosed.

I do understand a huge enclosed box would have air circulating around and
most likely not be adequate suction, depending on the HP of the system, but
basically, I should have asked how big is too big? Though, sitting here
contemplating my thoughts, I think as long as I keep it fairly small with
enough room to get router in and out, I think it'll be fine at it's current
area of 14w x 11h x 20d and with a 4" hosed 1.5hp DC system.

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

There are several plans out there for building a router cabinet and all of
them fit the discription you made below. In mine, the area where the router
sits is about 15x15x24, with a gap under the rear panel of about 2" and five
1 1/4" holes along the bottom of the door. Behind the rear panel is the
plenum, which is about 4x15x24 and has the port for the 4" hose near the top
and a 2 1/2" hole drilled thorough the table top to catch the debris coming
off the bit and is captured by the matching cavity on the fence, ported down
through the hole and into the plenum.

This is mated with the impeller from a HF 1 1/2hp dust collector, which has
been remote mounted and routed through a cyclone(with a 33ga galvanized
trashcan serving as the debris collector) and the discharge ported outside
the building into a burlap covered trash can, which is housed in a little
building outside the workshop.

More on this, if you are interested.

Deb

SBH wrote:

"Dr. Deb" wrote in message

Assuming this is a serious question, which is doubtful, the simple answer
is, "yes." Of even more importance is the amount of air flow you have
through the chamber housing the router (assuming you are talking about an
enclosed router table and not a shelf with a router hanging on it.)

Deb

I did say "ignorant" question. Yes, it is serious and yes, it is enclosed.

I do understand a huge enclosed box would have air circulating around and
most likely not be adequate suction, depending on the HP of the system,
but basically, I should have asked how big is too big? Though, sitting
here contemplating my thoughts, I think as long as I keep it fairly small
with enough room to get router in and out, I think it'll be fine at it's
current area of 14w x 11h x 20d and with a 4" hosed 1.5hp DC system.

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/26/2010 11:34 PM, SBH wrote:
"Dr. wrote in message

Assuming this is a serious question, which is doubtful, the simple answer
is, "yes." Of even more importance is the amount of air flow you have
through the chamber housing the router (assuming you are talking about an
enclosed router table and not a shelf with a router hanging on it.)

Deb

I did say "ignorant" question. Yes, it is serious and yes, it is enclosed.

I do understand a huge enclosed box would have air circulating around and
most likely not be adequate suction, depending on the HP of the system, but
basically, I should have asked how big is too big? Though, sitting here
contemplating my thoughts, I think as long as I keep it fairly small with
enough room to get router in and out, I think it'll be fine at it's current
area of 14w x 11h x 20d and with a 4" hosed 1.5hp DC system.

Thanks

Didn't mean to offend it was just too easy.
Posted to rec.woodworking

SBH,

Perhaps this link might be of some help. Specifically, page 8.

http://www.benchdog.com/pdf/Bench_Dog_2009_Catalog.pdf

You could compare the dimensions shown there with the size of the dust collection port.

HTH.

Peter.
"SBH" wrote in message ...
Does the size of the router box make a difference with the dust collection?

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 27 2010, 6:42*pm, Lil Abner wrote:
On 12/26/2010 11:34 PM, SBH wrote:

"Dr. *wrote in message
t...

[...]

IOW, low hanging fruit for the wit-impaired?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 26 2010, 6:32*pm, "SBH" wrote:
Does the size of the router box make a difference with the dust collection?

Thanks

or, make it as big as you want, slope the floor to the center or one
side and put the DC at the bottom. Gravity is hard to beat.

Posted to rec.woodworking

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
On Dec 26 2010, 6:32 pm, wrote:
Does the size of the router box make a difference with the dust collection?

Thanks

or, make it as big as you want, slope the floor to the center or one
side and put the DC at the bottom. Gravity is hard to beat.

More of those little suckers will get away, no?
This is starting to resemble a statistics problem.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"SBH" wrote
Does the size of the router box make a difference with the dust collection?

Thanks

This works for me:
http://picasaweb.google.com/contrari...75430835046962

Max
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 5, 9:54*pm, "Max" wrote:
* * "SBH" wrote

* * Does the size of the router box make a difference with the dust collection?

This works for me:http://picasaweb.google.com/contrari...75430835046962

Nice router cabinet. I also liked the Lexington chair!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 5, 9:54*pm, "Max" wrote:
* * "SBH" wrote
* * Does the size of the router box make a difference with the dust collection?

* * Thanks

This works for me:http://picasaweb.google.com/contrari...75430835046962

Max

Milwaukee and Hitachi M12's... how can you go wrong? My favourite
routers... but mine don't live in an ultra-nifty cabinet. Can you do
dental repairs in your spare time too, Max? G It looks like medical
equipment...so clean...
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jan 5, 9:54 pm, "Max" wrote:
"SBH" wrote
Does the size of the router box make a difference with the dust
collection?

Thanks

This works for
me:http://picasaweb.google.com/contrari...75430835046962

Max

Milwaukee and Hitachi M12's... how can you go wrong? My favourite
routers... but mine don't live in an ultra-nifty cabinet. Can you do
dental repairs in your spare time too, Max? G It looks like medical
equipment...so clean...

In an idle moment............
I do get a chance to clean up around the place.
You should see it at the present..............working on kitchen cabinets.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 26 2010, 11:34*pm, "SBH" wrote:
"Dr. Deb" wrote in message

Dear ignorant:

I would think shape might prove as important as size as well as the
size and placement of the air inlet.

But, having said all that, the size of the box is a function of the
size of the table, the router, and your hands (assuming you will do
the adjustments absent a Router Razor (SP?) or similar. And, I am
assuming you are connecting your suction hose to the box/cavity as
opposed to one of those attachments that surround the bit/cutting
area.

I would guess connecting to both would be ideal.