Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Paslode 16g Finisher

My wife bought one of these for me for Christmas. She also bought a box of
fuel cells, an extra battery and tons of nails. I notice the fuel cells
have an expiration date, about 9 months out. I asked for this, but didn't
do my homework. I'm replacing a standard air compressor operated one. I
use these only occasionally, maybe a lot for one project and then maybe not
for 6 months or a year. While it looks like a great gun and very
convenient, under my usage I'm thinking I might as well take it back. The
fuel cells are fairly expensive and will probably always be expired when I
need to use the gun. What do you all think? Is that going to be a problem?
Should I just go with a standard air operated gun for occasional use?

Thanks!

--

Best Regards,

Phil Anderson
Living In The Woods Of Beautiful Bonney Lake, Washington
Visit My Web Site: www.philsfun.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phil Anderson" wrote in message
My wife bought one of these for me for Christmas. She also bought a box of
fuel cells, an extra battery and tons of nails. I notice the fuel cells
have an expiration date, about 9 months out. I asked for this, but didn't
do my homework. I'm replacing a standard air compressor operated one. I
use these only occasionally, maybe a lot for one project and then maybe not
for 6 months or a year. While it looks like a great gun and very
convenient, under my usage I'm thinking I might as well take it back. The
fuel cells are fairly expensive and will probably always be expired when I
need to use the gun. What do you all think? Is that going to be a problem?
Should I just go with a standard air operated gun for occasional use?

Thanks!

Apparently they lose pressure over several months and the gun doesn't
work with them. Even the contractors bitch about it.
http://www.contractortalk.com/f40/pa...l-cells-75987/

I'd stay with the pneumatic guns unless you had a real need to use the
nailer with no air supply handy.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 14:08:04 -0800, "Phil Anderson"
wrote:

My wife bought one of these for me for Christmas. She also bought a box of
fuel cells, an extra battery and tons of nails. I notice the fuel cells
have an expiration date, about 9 months out. I asked for this, but didn't
do my homework. I'm replacing a standard air compressor operated one. I
use these only occasionally, maybe a lot for one project and then maybe not
for 6 months or a year. While it looks like a great gun and very
convenient, under my usage I'm thinking I might as well take it back. The
fuel cells are fairly expensive and will probably always be expired when I
need to use the gun. What do you all think? Is that going to be a problem?
Should I just go with a standard air operated gun for occasional use?

Thanks!

I had one I bought for some trim work a few years back. They work
well, my experience that as an sometime use (6 months put up) would
not fire well unless I cleaned it prior to using it. After that it was
not reliable. I think they are intend to be used alot and did not work
well for me.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phil Anderson" wrote in message
need to use the gun. What do you all think? Is that going to be a
problem? Should I just go with a standard air operated gun for occasional
use?

Perhaps you should consider another brand. I have and use a DeWalt DC628k
cordless nailer. It's a 15-gauge, 34-degree angled finish nailer. Takes
DeWalt's regular 18V batteries. The batteries don't have an expiry date that
I've noticed anywhere. The nailer works great and I have yet to experience
any problems at all with it.

It all depends on where you're using the nailer. If noise isn't much of a
problem and you're always near an electrical outlet, then the compressor
required nailer is an easy way to go and the nailers themselves are pretty
cheap. If you need the portability and have concerns about compressor noise,
then you may want to go the cordless route.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
"Phil wrote in message
need to use the gun. What do you all think? Is that going to be a
problem? Should I just go with a standard air operated gun for occasional
use?

Perhaps you should consider another brand. I have and use a DeWalt DC628k
cordless nailer. It's a 15-gauge, 34-degree angled finish nailer. Takes
DeWalt's regular 18V batteries. The batteries don't have an expiry date that
I've noticed anywhere. The nailer works great and I have yet to experience
any problems at all with it.

It all depends on where you're using the nailer. If noise isn't much of a
problem and you're always near an electrical outlet, then the compressor
required nailer is an easy way to go and the nailers themselves are pretty
cheap. If you need the portability and have concerns about compressor noise,
then you may want to go the cordless route.

A trick I have heard of, is fill a propane bottle with air from your
compressor and drive your nailer with it, do not know the legalities or
the number of shots.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"F Murtz" wrote in message
A trick I have heard of, is fill a propane bottle with air from your
compressor and drive your nailer with it, do not know the legalities or
the number of shots.

My main concern when buying my cordless nailer was noise or lack thereof.

Posted to rec.woodworking
LdB LdB is offline

On 12/26/2010 4:08 PM, Phil Anderson wrote:
My wife bought one of these for me for Christmas. She also bought a
box of fuel cells, an extra battery and tons of nails. I notice the
fuel cells have an expiration date, about 9 months out. I asked for
this, but didn't do my homework. I'm replacing a standard air
compressor operated one. I use these only occasionally, maybe a lot
for one project and then maybe not for 6 months or a year. While it
looks like a great gun and very convenient, under my usage I'm
thinking I might as well take it back. The fuel cells are fairly
expensive and will probably always be expired when I need to use the
gun. What do you all think? Is that going to be a problem? Should I
just go with a standard air operated gun for occasional use?

Thanks!

I've got an old Paslode framing nailer that uses the red fuel cells.
I bought the nailer when I started building my house ten years ago. I
don't use the Paslode very much anymore but it earned it's keep.
There's no way I'd ever get rid of it.

When I'm finished using the nailer I take the fuel cell out and pry
the metering valve off the top of the cell. The fuel cell in it now
is at least 5 years old and would have been first used when it was
purchased . The cell still worked when I last used it a few months ago.

I seem to recall I started doing this after a cell drained out by
itself when it was left in the nailer for a long time.

What really impresses me is that the two batteries I bought with the
nailer still work.

Hopefully Paslode is still making products as good as they used to.

LdB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 18:57:18 +1100, F Murtz
wrote:

Upscale wrote:
"Phil wrote in message
[...]

That 5g-size tank (actually from a hot-foam packaging setup) is what I
go to for portable stapler/tacker/nailer use. I take along my 3/4hp
Rand comp. for refills if I'll need more than 100 staples.

--
Remember, in an emergency, dial 1911.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Upscale wrote:
"Phil wrote in message
[...]

They sell portable air tanks for this use. They're a lot lighter than propane
tanks and should work just as well. I don't like the idea of putting air in
propane tanks, even if it is legal (somehow I doubt it). It often costs a
couple of bucks to have them purged (some refillers screw people over for new
tanks).
Posted to rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"F Murtz" wrote in message
Upscale wrote:
"Phil wrote in message
[...]

You may have problems getting air fittings to work on propane cylinders. For
small jobs where I don't want to drag a long hose or move my compressor, I
use a tank that I bought from an auto supply shop, it is intended to be
filled with air to inflate a tire. I removed some of the fittings and
replaced them with a valve, a snap coupling for filling and a curly hose to
feed my nailer. It is quick to fill and light to carry and can drive a
number of brads before the pressure drops too low. It is still good to use
to top off tires.

Diversified Tools Pocket Hound 408-DT Drywall Finisher / Bullnose Metal Tool [email protected] Metalworking 0 May 22nd 09 10:27 AM
Paslode nails Bod UK diy 4 July 6th 05 01:47 AM
Paslode nailer for D-I-Y tom patton UK diy 5 May 8th 05 08:35 AM
Paslode Nail Gun Scooby UK diy 0 January 25th 05 05:12 PM
PASLODE IM350 John Durham UK diy 1 July 15th 03 02:01 PM