tom patton

Default Paslode nailer for D-I-Y

I have been putting up the rafters in my extension 10 rafters 220x45x4.5
metres.Started screwing them together with philips screws got bored after
100 and thought a Paslode would work better.
Why not a hammer.
1 Its medieval.
2 I cannot hammer in nails for toffee.
3 I have neuron disease so shocks travelling around are not a good idea.
Off to the hire shop emerged with gas and nailer £50 lighter-a weeks
hire-Ive got 2000 nails to go.
Ist observation a 4000 nail pack costs about £50 including gas-there are 850
D-I-Y packs--if you can find them.I got 1000 nails "left over" and a can of
gas for £15.
Up the scaffold nailing the rafters second nail clipped the edge of the
rafter and pinged between my legs whining off the concrete floor-respect
needed here.
Its awkward to use nailing in corners and needs a fair bit
strength/technique to use but once you get the hang of it its great for
dwanging the rafters which eats up fixings.
Its surprisingly light 2.5 kilo s and well balanced.You must think out your
technique of using in confined spaces-my wife is much better at using it
than me.
She hides behind the wall when I use it!!.
You must unload the battery when you move it as its almost always armed when
its got battery and gas in.
Its certainly not a tool for slipshod operation and you need to be aware
when its charged up-it charges up when you strike the wood to be fastened I
found this irritating- the charge time seemed to last forever but then you
can bang in several nails with one charge.

Michael Mcneil

"tom patton" wrote in message

I have been putting up the rafters in my extension 10 rafters 220x45x4.5
metres.Started screwing them together with philips screws got bored after
100 and thought a Paslode would work better.

I can't understand the premise for the rest of the post.

You have ten bits of wood you need to fix to wallplates?

You couldn't hammer the nails in straight so you decided to use screws?

You were using an ordinary screwdriver?

So you decided to use a machine and the one of choice is an hired nail
gun?

Why not buy a battery operated screwdriver?

What did you use 100 screws on? 5 at the top and 5 at the bottom = 100
so what did you need the rest for?

Apart form the fact that a man who can't knock in nails shouldn't be
allowerd on a roof, never mind run the job, you should not have been
allowed near a nailgun on the ground, never mind in the sky.

How do you take the nails out if the rafters need moving?

Idiot.

markybay

You can come round and finish my extension off any time you like mate!!

Ian Stirling

Michael Mcneil wrote:
"tom patton" wrote in message

I have been putting up the rafters in my extension 10 rafters 220x45x4.5
metres.Started screwing them together with philips screws got bored after
100 and thought a Paslode would work better.

I can't understand the premise for the rest of the post.

snip
Apart form the fact that a man who can't knock in nails shouldn't be
allowerd on a roof, never mind run the job, you should not have been
allowed near a nailgun on the ground, never mind in the sky.

How do you take the nails out if the rafters need moving?

You're misunderstanding.
The nailgun is an ideal motivational tool for management.
Rick

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 23:08:16 GMT, "tom patton"
wrote:

[...]

I used one of these the other day, and it lives up there neer the top
of my list of dangerous tools, neer "chain saw" and "ladder".

Rick

tom patton

Yup
I agree the Paslode nailer for me has not produced the goods.
Its heavy- difficult to use-lethal for down nailing on 45mm rafters.
Mine was temperamental and unreliable.Mega expensive to use-gas nails-£20.
The brickie could easily beat me at hammering in nails with his hammer-we
put 1000+ nails in yesterday in my Kerto beams.
I did get half my hire money back from the hire centre tho so it was a
learning experience.
I am now using my superb Eastwing hammer-Christmas present.
On your chain saw comment I ve been using them for 20 years I am amazed
anyone can buy them they are on sale everywhere but I agree with you they
need major respect.
My local hire centre has a large notice saying only certificated hirers will
get chainsaws he told me he stopped hiring them for a while because of the
never ending hassles.