Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router Table DC hose placement

I'm midway to finishing my router table and I'm contemplating the placement
of the Dust Collection connector hose. I've noticed most tables have the
hose attached to the rear of the table (behind the router) but saw a limited
few which had the attachment on the bottom (under the router), thus, making
me wonder if one has the advantage over the other. Part of my thought leans
towards the bottom placement due to the gravity effect. The other part
thinks it may not make a difference with a powerful DC system. Therefore,
what's the consensus amongst the group?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

SBH wrote:
I'm midway to finishing my router table and I'm contemplating the
placement of the Dust Collection connector hose. I've noticed most
tables have the hose attached to the rear of the table (behind the
router) but saw a limited few which had the attachment on the bottom
(under the router), thus, making me wonder if one has the advantage over
the other. Part of my thought leans towards the bottom placement due to
the gravity effect. The other part thinks it may not make a difference
with a powerful DC system. Therefore, what's the consensus amongst the
group?

Never seen any that collected all that much; you'll need the hood in the
lateral location to keep chips from going off horizontally.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SBH" wrote in message
I'm midway to finishing my router table and I'm contemplating the
placement of the Dust Collection connector hose. I've noticed most tables
have the hose attached to the rear of the table (behind the router) but
saw a limited few which had the attachment on the bottom (under the
router), thus, making me wonder if one has the advantage over the other.
Part of my thought leans towards the bottom placement due to the gravity
effect. The other part thinks it may not make a difference with a powerful
DC system. Therefore, what's the consensus amongst the group?

Thanks

It all depends on what you are doing, cutting groves, noting gets caught.
My DC Collector hose is connected directyly to the fence behind the bit
opening. Works well when the debris can get through.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I will also have the hose connected to the fence in addition to the router
box exit hose. I'm just wondering if there's an advantage of one over the
other.

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SBH" wrote in message

I will also have the hose connected to the fence in addition to the router
box exit hose. I'm just wondering if there's an advantage of one over the
other.

Thanks

I find that very little actually goes down inside the cabinet with the hose
connected tot he fence. Because routers blow down, up when mounted upside
down most the debris stays outside the cabinet. Like a TS you simply cannot
contain all of it and a little goes every where. After a routing table run
I simply open the cabinet doors and suck out the debris that escaped the
fence opening. If you are cutting dado's it is virtually impossible to
contain any of the waste.

You can mount a hose in both locations, the fence and inside the cabinet,
but I would speculate that the hose in the cabinet will not catch much more
than no hose at all. YMMV

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"SBH" wrote in message
I'm midway to finishing my router table and I'm contemplating the
placement of the Dust Collection connector hose. I've noticed most tables
have the hose attached to the rear of the table (behind the router) but
saw a limited few which had the attachment on the bottom (under the
router), thus, making me wonder if one has the advantage over the other.
Part of my thought leans towards the bottom placement due to the gravity
effect. The other part thinks it may not make a difference with a powerful
DC system. Therefore, what's the consensus amongst the group?

Thanks

My arrangement:
http://picasaweb.google.com/contrari...76365652311026

Very little dust escapes *unless* I'm routing a dado or some configuration
where the dust gets trapped and can only escape horizontally.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message news:4d0ea6fe$0$19635

My arrangement:
http://picasaweb.google.com/contrari...76365652311026

Very little dust escapes *unless* I'm routing a dado or some configuration
where the dust gets trapped and can only escape horizontally.

Max

That's how I expect to do mine. Thank you

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 16:59:52 -0500, "SBH" wrote:

I'm midway to finishing my router table and I'm contemplating the placement
of the Dust Collection connector hose. I've noticed most tables have the
hose attached to the rear of the table (behind the router) but saw a limited
few which had the attachment on the bottom (under the router), thus, making
me wonder if one has the advantage over the other. Part of my thought leans
towards the bottom placement due to the gravity effect. The other part
thinks it may not make a difference with a powerful DC system. Therefore,

I'd use a bucket/trashcan under an open hole in the base cabinet, and
a DC collector up top. Most of the waste will tend to come up with
the bit upside down in a top like that. Gravity only happenswhen the
fast-moving waste stops moving fast. That pretty much doesn't happen
within inches of the bit.

what's the consensus amongst the group?

Consensus, in THIS group? Har! He make joke!

--
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country
against his government." --Edward Abbey
Posted to rec.woodworking

I have both. in the fence and I built a pvc shroud that grabs what it
can from the shaft of the motor.

When cutting grooves this does the best job below the table.
When cutting with the bit in the fence then the normal fence mounted
works best.

Neither is perfect. Some will still get kicked out the side.

On 12/19/2010 4:59 PM, SBH wrote:
I'm midway to finishing my router table and I'm contemplating the
placement of the Dust Collection connector hose. I've noticed most
tables have the hose attached to the rear of the table (behind the
router) but saw a limited few which had the attachment on the bottom
(under the router), thus, making me wonder if one has the advantage over
the other. Part of my thought leans towards the bottom placement due to
the gravity effect. The other part thinks it may not make a difference
with a powerful DC system. Therefore, what's the consensus amongst the
group?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 18:15:57 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

You can mount a hose in both locations, the fence and inside the cabinet,
but I would speculate that the hose in the cabinet will not catch much more
than no hose at all. YMMV

I don't know how much it catches, but I know it works great for
cleaning off the table after the bit has stopped. I just brush
everything with my hand and anything within 2 inches of the opening
gets sucked right in. My Triton is pretty well enclosed and has a
1-1/4" port built in. So when the fence is open most of the air is
being pulled from the larger opening up top, when the fence is closed
it all goes to the lower port.

It also really sucks down on the part which is kind of like having an
automatic featherboard.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 14:59:52 -0700, SBH wrote
(in article ):

I'm midway to finishing my router table and I'm contemplating the placement
of the Dust Collection connector hose. I've noticed most tables have the
hose attached to the rear of the table (behind the router) but saw a limited
few which had the attachment on the bottom (under the router), thus, making
me wonder if one has the advantage over the other. Part of my thought leans
towards the bottom placement due to the gravity effect. The other part
thinks it may not make a difference with a powerful DC system. Therefore,
what's the consensus amongst the group?

Thanks

In my opinion it's is probably more a mater of convention. Rear connection is
easier to access and less prone to falling off. Also, with a router
table/cabinet a bottom connection would eat up a chunk of drawer storage.

-Bruce

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bruce" wrote in message
[...]

That's exactly the main reason I wouldn't want to go bottom. I originally
had an idea to use it for space whether a drawer or just an open cavity for
another router or accessories. But if it provided a better dust removing
ability, I would sacrifice the extra storage.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 19, 3:59*pm, "SBH" wrote:
I'm midway to finishing my router table and I'm contemplating the placement
of the Dust Collection connector hose. I've noticed most tables have the
hose attached to the rear of the table (behind the router) but saw a limited
few which had the attachment on the bottom (under the router), thus, making
me wonder if one has the advantage over the other. Part of my thought leans
towards the bottom placement due to the gravity effect. The other part
thinks it may not make a difference with a powerful DC system. Therefore,
what's the consensus amongst the group?

Thanks

I have a router table built into my cabinet saw, with a large,
adjustable fence that attaches to the saw fence. The dust collection
port is a 6" compartment that slants from above the blade to behind
the blade. A vacuum attachment is installed on the slanted piece. It
works well, but obviously some of the stuff gets out the bottom. I
believe it partially depends on how the bit fits with the table
insert. Large bits like radius or ogee seem best. Small diameter
bits seem to be less effective. At any rate it keeps at least 1/2 or
more of the chips off of the floor. Large molding runs, with a big
bit probably put 2/3 - 3/4 of the stuff in the vacuum.

Take a look at last month's Fine Woodworking. They featured an table
saw router table that had a interesting dust collection system. Dual
port with one on the fence and one built into a collection box beneath
the table. The lower one collected from a dust or vacuum system and
used to routers collection too. Kinda complicated but it looked like
it might work well. Made me think I might redo mine some day.

BTW, in spite of having dust collection now, I plan to keep using my
shop vac.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yep there are some things a shop vac is better at.

In many cases you will starve a DC with a small sander, the old style
Delta band saw port, a single 2 inch router fence port.

You probably won't starve it if you have fence and cabinet makeup.