Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Question Table Saw Switch Placement

Hi!

I am eyeing up a really good deal on a right-tilt Steel City Cab saw.
However, I noted in the images, e.g.,

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...2&tool=3562 1

that the cabling for the switch appears to interfere somewhat with
access to the tilt adjustment wheel. Is this indeed the case? Or did
they just slap the switch on there for the pic but there is better
placement available?

Thanks!

D'ohBoy
Posted to rec.woodworking

"D'ohBoy" wrote in message
Hi!

I am eyeing up a really good deal on a right-tilt Steel City Cab saw.
However, I noted in the images, e.g.,

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...2&tool=3562 1

that the cabling for the switch appears to interfere somewhat with
access to the tilt adjustment wheel. Is this indeed the case? Or did
they just slap the switch on there for the pic but there is better
placement available?

It looks OK to me. I think it is just a camera angle. You can look in the
manual for some other pictures.

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...621_manual.pdf

And I am certain that it would not be difficult to relocate the switch. This
is commonly done all the time on tables saws to install "safety switches".

And you can always give the Steel City folks a call. Maybe they can send
out a picture that shows this at a different angle.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"D'ohBoy" wrote in message
Hi!

I am eyeing up a really good deal on a right-tilt Steel City Cab saw.
However, I noted in the images, e.g.,

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...2&tool=3562 1

that the cabling for the switch appears to interfere somewhat with
access to the tilt adjustment wheel. Is this indeed the case? Or did
they just slap the switch on there for the pic but there is better
placement available?

Thanks!

D'ohBoy

Because the wheels are large and your arm moves up and down 8 or 9 inches
you will be cranking with your left hand and arm reaching around the out
side of the switch and cable. You will probably be banging your arm if you
reach between the switch and the cabinet to make adjustments, cable or no
cable. You will also be making tilt adjustments much less often thatn
height adjustments. It would be a non issue for me but then again I would
go left tilt.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 1 May 2008 08:41:57 -0700 (PDT), "D'ohBoy"
wrote:

Hi!

I am eyeing up a really good deal on a right-tilt Steel City Cab saw.
However, I noted in the images, e.g.,

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...2&tool=3562 1

that the cabling for the switch appears to interfere somewhat with
access to the tilt adjustment wheel. Is this indeed the case? Or did
they just slap the switch on there for the pic but there is better
placement available?

Thanks!

D'ohBoy

I think the cable you are referring to is line in to the switch with
the other being line out to the motor. Maybe just stuck it up there
to get it out of the way for the photo shoot. Should drop straight
down and be led to your outlet, wherever that might be.

Or possibly they have it clamped under the table to lead it to the
rear of the saw. Either way you can get it out of your way.

Frank
Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/pr...ction=2&catego...

that the cabling for the switch appears to interfere somewhat with
access to the tilt adjustment wheel. Is this indeed the case? Or did
they just slap the switch on there for the pic but there is better
placement available?

Thanks!

D'ohBoy

I think the cable you are referring to is line in to the switch with
the other being line out to the motor. Maybe just stuck it up there
to get it out of the way for the photo shoot. Should drop straight
down and be led to your outlet, wherever that might be.

Or possibly they have it clamped under the table to lead it to the
rear of the saw. Either way you can get it out of your way.

Frank

Thanks to all for their responses. While I did compromise on the
tilt of the blade, I think otherwise I got everything I wanted!

D'ohBoy

P.S.: ToolKing has a 3 hp right tilt Steel City with the big table
board and 30" fence for $1049! I got the TiN coated, 50" fence for
$1299.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I believe a lot of these saws allow you to place the switch were you want,
depending on how you work the saw left or right, then provide the means for
getting the cord out of the way. Does SteelCity have it's manuals on line to
check

--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.