Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Eat yer hearts out guys - wife's christmas list

Well - not her complete list, but one item on it - a girly chainsaw. Girly
around here is going to translate to a Stih; MS170. I'm sorry, but I can't
get over thinking it's cool to have my wife ask for a chainsaw. You have to
understand - she's not a manly sorta girl.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:

Well - not her complete list, but one item on it - a girly chainsaw.
Girly
around here is going to translate to a Stih; MS170. I'm sorry, but I
can't
get over thinking it's cool to have my wife ask for a chainsaw. You have
to understand - she's not a manly sorta girl.

My wife did exactly that, asked for a chainsaw several years ago for our
anniversary or her birthday. She had that one die on her and is now on her
third saw a Stihl MS 180. (She is 5'4" and goes about 122 lbs - as Mike
said, not the manly type, but she can drop a tree with the best of them.

Deb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 18, 10:49*pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
Well - not her complete list, but one item on it - a girly chainsaw. *Girly
around here is going to translate to a Stih; MS170. *I'm sorry, but I can't
get over thinking it's cool to have my wife ask for a chainsaw. *You have to
understand - she's not a manly sorta girl.

--

-Mike-

My wife didn't ask of a chainsaw, but her recent "demand" might beas
good.

As I posted here a while back, we are in late stages of finishing our
own house. She watched me struggle with keeping an old Ryobi surface
planer going during the process. The Ryobi is a good machine but it
was worn from 12-14 years of use, and wasn't up to some of the big
pieces of 8/4 stock. Busted the gearbox, glued it back with JB, then
had more problems.

Anyway, she "insisted" I upgrade to a 15" machine and get a dust
collector to control some of the garage/shop mess. I resisted for
several months because of money going into the house. But about 6
weeks ago she just said we were going to Grizzly-Springfield with the
trailer and get them. So we did!

My girl has also stood in the middle of a brush pile digging out
firewood chunks too, but she is uncomfortable with running the saw.
And that is fine because many women wouldn't think of it. She has her
own set of leather gloves and has stained and finished nearly every
piece of wood in our house. It horrifies some of her old school
friends that she would get that dirty.

Bottom line is she grew up on the farm and knows it takes tools and
work to get stuff done.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 23:49:30 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Well - not her complete list, but one item on it - a girly chainsaw. Girly
around here is going to translate to a Stih; MS170. I'm sorry, but I can't
get over thinking it's cool to have my wife ask for a chainsaw. You have to
understand - she's not a manly sorta girl.

She's a keeper, ah reckon. Kudos.

--
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country
against his government." --Edward Abbey

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

Well - not her complete list, but one item on it - a girly chainsaw.
Girly around here is going to translate to a Stih; MS170. I'm sorry,
but I can't get over thinking it's cool to have my wife ask for a
chainsaw. You have to understand - she's not a manly sorta girl.

Sounds like a keeper. Mine came with a complete set of tools, including an
anvil & a set of sledge hammers. Her grandfather was a mason & she got all
his tools (and knows how to use them). No chainsaw 'tho.

She's getting a S&W Model 52 target pistol under the tree so she can add to
her stack of trophies on the mantle.

Doug White

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Well - not her complete list, but one item on it - a girly chainsaw. Girly
around here is going to translate to a Stih; MS170. I'm sorry, but I can't
get over thinking it's cool to have my wife ask for a chainsaw. You have to
understand - she's not a manly sorta girl.

For your sake I hope she's not related to Lorena Bobbitt.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/18/2010 10:49 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Well - not her complete list, but one item on it - a girly chainsaw. Girly
around here is going to translate to a Stih; MS170. I'm sorry, but I can't
get over thinking it's cool to have my wife ask for a chainsaw. You have to
understand - she's not a manly sorta girl.

My favorite trim carpenter ... no way I'd trade her in for two 30's:

http://picasaweb.google.com/karlcail...18200793886546

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote the following:
Well - not her complete list, but one item on it - a girly chainsaw. Girly
around here is going to translate to a Stih; MS170. I'm sorry, but I can't
get over thinking it's cool to have my wife ask for a chainsaw. You have to
understand - she's not a manly sorta girl.

"The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" just came to mind.
How much Life Insurance do you have?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 12/18/2010 10:49 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Well - not her complete list, but one item on it - a girly chainsaw.
Girly
around here is going to translate to a Stih; MS170. I'm sorry, but I
can't
get over thinking it's cool to have my wife ask for a chainsaw. You have
understand - she's not a manly sorta girl.

My favorite trim carpenter ... no way I'd trade her in for two 30's:

http://picasaweb.google.com/karlcail...18200793886546

The two 30's would kill you anyway.
And, if they didn't, your favorite trim carpenter would.
~ )

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 06:16:23 -0800 (PST), RonB
wrote:

On Dec 18, 10:49*pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
Well - not her complete list, but one item on it - a girly chainsaw. *Girly
around here is going to translate to a Stih; MS170. *I'm sorry, but I can't
get over thinking it's cool to have my wife ask for a chainsaw. *You have to
understand - she's not a manly sorta girl.

My wife didn't ask of a chainsaw, but her recent "demand" might beas
good.

As I posted here a while back, we are in late stages of finishing our
own house. She watched me struggle with keeping an old Ryobi surface
planer going during the process. The Ryobi is a good machine but it
was worn from 12-14 years of use, and wasn't up to some of the big
pieces of 8/4 stock. Busted the gearbox, glued it back with JB, then
had more problems.

It sounds like you were either trying to take too much off in one cut
or you weren't supporting it from the ends when it was being fed
through. Shameful! (Learned your lesson yet?)

Or was it the power feed you had trouble with? I've always gently
helped feed my little Griz 13" planer, especially on the 16' long teak
decking I was cleaning up. About a pound of push is all it took to
bring it up to normal short-stock feed rates.

Anyway, she "insisted" I upgrade to a 15" machine and get a dust
collector to control some of the garage/shop mess. I resisted for
several months because of money going into the house. But about 6
weeks ago she just said we were going to Grizzly-Springfield with the
trailer and get them. So we did!

Cool! One Atta Girl heading your wifey's way.

My girl has also stood in the middle of a brush pile digging out
firewood chunks too, but she is uncomfortable with running the saw.
And that is fine because many women wouldn't think of it. She has her
own set of leather gloves and has stained and finished nearly every
piece of wood in our house. It horrifies some of her old school
friends that she would get that dirty.

Aren't people funny that way?

Bottom line is she grew up on the farm and knows it takes tools and
work to get stuff done.

Bueno, bwana.

--
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country
against his government." --Edward Abbey

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Matt" wrote in message
That's what makes some wives "keepers"
Sounds like you've got a good thing going. Keep treating her well.

Maybe he's been treating her miserably. That might account for why she wants
the chainsaw. g

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

As I posted here a while back, we are in late stages of finishing our
own house. *She watched me struggle with keeping an old Ryobi surface
planer going during the process. *The Ryobi is a good machine but it
was worn from 12-14 years of use, and wasn't up to some of the big
pieces of 8/4 stock. *Busted the gearbox, glued it back with JB, then
had more problems.

It sounds like you were either trying to take too much off in one cut
or you weren't supporting it from the ends when it was being fed
through. *Shameful! *(Learned your lesson yet?)

Might be right to a certain degree, but the machine was showing lots
of wear. When I think about it, the 12-14 years is probably
conservative since this is the third home it lived in. My wife bought
it as a Christmas Gift when Builders Square, Wichita was still in
business. That goes back to early-mid 90's. (Damn time flies).

It has had thousands of feet of hardwood and many hundreds of feet of
8x4 Oak run through it. With the big stuff, I usually hand fed and
let roller stands help with out-feed. Some of it was 6-10 feet long.
But the little suitcase planer weighs about 60-70 pounds and the
tables were only about 10" on either side. It probably doesn't take
much "wiggle" with a 50-60 pound piece of hardwood to put stress on a
light aluminum motor mount/gearbox casting; not to mention everything
else. Never had much trouble with feed - it would accept the bigger
stuff with self-destructive determination.

I fixed it twice. once with a very neat application of JB weld applied
right at the break and that lasted a month or two. The second time I
applied JB like peanut butter across the entire lower gearbox area, at
least 1/2" beyond the fracture. In the process I also disassembled
it, replaced the sprockets and switch; and gave it a thorough cleaning
and lubrication. It is sitting in our son's garage now and I suspect
it will provide him a few years of use since he doesn't have time to
abuse it like dad did.

Dad's retired now. The Grizzly G0453P should be good for quite a few
more projects, including the rocking horses made mostly from 8/4
stock.

And my wife MADE ME BUY IT!

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 05:59:43 -0800 (PST), RonB
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, they do take their share of inadvertent abuse by design.

else. Never had much trouble with feed - it would accept the bigger
stuff with self-destructive determination.

That's good.

I fixed it twice. once with a very neat application of JB weld applied
right at the break and that lasted a month or two. The second time I
applied JB like peanut butter across the entire lower gearbox area, at
least 1/2" beyond the fracture. In the process I also disassembled
it, replaced the sprockets and switch; and gave it a thorough cleaning
and lubrication. It is sitting in our son's garage now and I suspect
it will provide him a few years of use since he doesn't have time to
abuse it like dad did.

JB, the thinking man's Duct Tape!

Dad's retired now. The Grizzly G0453P should be good for quite a few
more projects, including the rocking horses made mostly from 8/4
stock.

I'd think so.

And my wife MADE ME BUY IT!

Keeper!