Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Making Safety Glass

Well, not really, but safety glass is the idea. I need to remove a
mirror that is stuck on a condo's wall, presumably with some kind of
construction adhesive. I'm thinking of using spray adhesive to bond a
piece of plastic sheeting to the surface before beginning the removal,
to minimize the danger and mess if (when?) the mirror breaks during
removal. I'm thinking very thin sheeting (1/2 mil) to maximize
flexibility, so glass will be less likely to break away from the film.
I also thought about latex paint on the surface to serve the same
purpose.

Any suggestions about this: Thickness of sheeting to use? Something
else to keep broken glass under control?

And any suggestions for doing the removal while minimizing damage to
the drywall beneath it would be most appreciated.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Glue sheeting to the glass? How about just applying, criss crossing
lots of duct tape. Tape a piece of rope on it, also, if you can, for
a handle when removing.

Large concrete trowl for possibly separating the adhesive from the
drywall.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

--
Alex -- Replace "nospam" with "mail" to reply by email. Checked
infrequently.

Alex,

Use the tape as mentioned to keep the glass in place. Next, get some
thin, but strong wire and work it down the wall to separate the mirror
from the adhesive. Most likely it is double sided hanger pads rather
than a glue. If you use a thin enough wire or maybe even fishing line,
it should slice through the pads.

Bob S.

Posted to rec.woodworking

BobS wrote:
"alexy" wrote in message
Well, not really, but safety glass is the idea. I need to remove a
mirror that is stuck on a condo's wall, presumably with some kind of
construction adhesive. I'm thinking of using spray adhesive to bond a
piece of plastic sheeting to the surface before beginning the
removal,

Alex,

Use the tape as mentioned to keep the glass in place. Next, get some
thin, but strong wire and work it down the wall to separate the mirror
from the adhesive. Most likely it is double sided hanger pads rather
than a glue. If you use a thin enough wire or maybe even fishing
line, it should slice through the pads.

Good idea. Maybe a guitar string (if long enough).

The fall-back case is to cove the mirror with a large trash bag (tape to
wall), smash the sucker with a hammer, then vacuum up all the pieces.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 16:41:36 -0500, alexy wrote:

Well, not really, but safety glass is the idea. I need to remove a
mirror that is stuck on a condo's wall, presumably with some kind of
construction adhesive. I'm thinking of using spray adhesive to bond a
piece of plastic sheeting to the surface before beginning the removal,
to minimize the danger and mess if (when?) the mirror breaks during
removal. I'm thinking very thin sheeting (1/2 mil) to maximize
flexibility, so glass will be less likely to break away from the film.
I also thought about latex paint on the surface to serve the same
purpose.

Why don't you leave it there? Any attempt to remove it (if it is
construction adhesive) will damage both the wall and the mirror.

Any suggestions about this: Thickness of sheeting to use? Something
else to keep broken glass under control?

Most folks just put an asterisk of 2" wide painter's tape on them,
from edge to edge. That controls the larger pieces if it breaks.

And any suggestions for doing the removal while minimizing damage to
the drywall beneath it would be most appreciated.

Piano wire between the wall and mirror is your best bet for cutting it
off. Also consider attempting to remove the section of drywall with
the mirror, then replace it, tape and mud, prime and paint.

You're likely in a no-win situation, alexy. Good luck!

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Why don't you leave it there?

SWMBO #1: Wife
SWMBO #2: Daughter

You're likely in a no-win situation, alexy. Good luck!

You got that right! Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

alexy wrote:

Any suggestions about this: Thickness of sheeting to use? Something
else to keep broken glass under control?

And any suggestions for doing the removal while minimizing damage to
the drywall beneath it would be most appreciated.

Thanks, all. Tape on the glass and thin stranded steel wire it is!
Posted to rec.woodworking

I took a #14 strand of wire & my extra car battery and made a hot wire
to remove a 4 ft. sq. mirror once , it stunk like **** but it worked
like cutting butter with a hot knife.

Jr.

http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutc...oodWorkingPage

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 09:00:46 -0500, alexy wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Why don't you leave it there?

SWMBO #1: Wife
SWMBO #2: Daughter

You're likely in a no-win situation, alexy. Good luck!

You got that right! Thanks.

Before you even start, have them help. Let it be partly THEIR
responsibility when, not if, it is damaged. Otherwise, you're SOL from
the start, whether you take it down or not.

If you're lucky, it will have been put up with doublesided foam tape
which -may- split without damaging the mirror or wall. Have them clean
the wall.

--
You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.
--Jack London
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 6, 4:41*pm, alexy wrote:
Well, not really, but safety glass is the idea. I need to remove a
mirror that is stuck on a condo's wall, presumably with some kind of
construction adhesive. I'm thinking of using spray adhesive to bond a
piece of plastic sheeting to the surface before beginning the removal,
to minimize the danger and mess if (when?) the mirror breaks during
removal. I'm thinking very thin sheeting (1/2 mil) to maximize
flexibility, so glass will be less likely to break away from the film.
I also thought about latex paint on the surface to serve the same
purpose.

Any suggestions about this: Thickness of sheeting to use? Something
else to keep broken glass under control?

And any suggestions for doing the removal while minimizing damage to
the drywall beneath it would be most appreciated.

A professional glass and mirror guy I hired said he takes down mirrors
in one piece by using heavy duty suction cups and pulls the glass down
by tearing the paper off the sheet rock. Presumably these were hung
with that black mirror adhesive. However I did not see him actually do
this.

Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 6, 4:41*pm, alexy wrote:
Well, not really, but safety glass is the idea. I need to remove a
mirror that is stuck on a condo's wall, presumably with some kind of
construction adhesive. I'm thinking of using spray adhesive to bond a
piece of plastic sheeting to the surface before beginning the removal,
to minimize the danger and mess if (when?) the mirror breaks during
removal. I'm thinking very thin sheeting (1/2 mil) to maximize
flexibility, so glass will be less likely to break away from the film.
I also thought about latex paint on the surface to serve the same
purpose.

Any suggestions about this: Thickness of sheeting to use? Something
else to keep broken glass under control?

And any suggestions for doing the removal while minimizing damage to
the drywall beneath it would be most appreciated.

If you don't care about the mirror, just smash the
crap out of it with a hammer, then peel off the
fragments with a nail bar. Gloves go without saying.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
On Dec 6, 4:41 pm, alexy wrote:
[...]

Back in about 77, my father bought a new house. The builder decided to cheap
out on the bathroom mirror by sticking one foot square mirrored tiles to the
wall instead of a solid mirror. We took a plastic drop cloth and used spray
adhesive to stick it to the tile. We then smashed the mirror and scraped off
the pieces. Still messy but not nearly as bad as it would have been without
the plastic.

Posted to rec.woodworking

alexy wrote in -
september.org:

Well, not really, but safety glass is the idea. I need to remove a
mirror that is stuck on a condo's wall, presumably with some kind of
construction adhesive. I'm thinking of using spray adhesive to bond a
piece of plastic sheeting to the surface before beginning the removal,
to minimize the danger and mess if (when?) the mirror breaks during
removal. I'm thinking very thin sheeting (1/2 mil) to maximize
flexibility, so glass will be less likely to break away from the film.
I also thought about latex paint on the surface to serve the same
purpose.

Any suggestions about this: Thickness of sheeting to use? Something
else to keep broken glass under control?

And any suggestions for doing the removal while minimizing damage to
the drywall beneath it would be most appreciated.

There's adhesive carpet runners out there. They're about 30" wide by
several feet long. That might keep everything intact if something did
break.

Puckdropper