Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Truly portable miter saw and table saw.

So I'm in the market for a small miter saw that's lightweight and
actually portable. Pretty much all the players have one, I'm just
wondering which one is "best". And I'm also looking for a small table
saw. Same type thing - small and portable for taking to a jobsite
easily. Primarily for toe-kick and trim. I'm tired of lugging a 12"
SCMS around to cut a few pieces of 4" toe-kick.

TIA. Happy Holidays.
JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 25, 11:42*am, Jay Pique wrote:
So I'm in the market for a small miter saw that's lightweight and
actually portable. *Pretty much all the players have one, I'm just
wondering which one is "best". *And I'm also looking for a small table
saw. *Same type thing - small and portable for taking to a jobsite
easily. *Primarily for toe-kick and trim. *I'm tired of lugging a 12"
SCMS around to cut a few pieces of 4" toe-kick.

TIA. *Happy Holidays.
JP

Ok so I like the look and the price of the Hitachi 10" cms - Hitachi
C10FCE2. $99 at amazon.com with free shipping.

Now for the table saw...

JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 08:42:41 -0800, Jay Pique wrote:

So I'm in the market for a small miter saw that's lightweight and
actually portable. Pretty much all the players have one, I'm just
wondering which one is "best". And I'm also looking for a small table
saw. Same type thing - small and portable for taking to a jobsite
easily. Primarily for toe-kick and trim. I'm tired of lugging a 12"
SCMS around to cut a few pieces of 4" toe-kick.

I've got a 100 year old Goodell miter box with a 24" Disston saw. Cuts
molding with one stroke and needs no plug or battery :-).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 25, 12:48*pm, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I've got a 100 year old Goodell miter box with a 24" Disston saw. *Cuts
molding with one stroke and needs no plug or battery :-).

How the hell does it cut?
JP
Posted to rec.woodworking

I think Sony brought out a new type of saw that stores and transports like a
7.25" blade and then centrifugally expands to a 12" blade at full RPM. The
fold-out workhorse type stand has too many joints in the legs for me. The
locking devices take almost an hour to make the thing stable enough to even
cut a 6x6 at 45 degrees or rip a small sheet of OSB down the long way. There
is a lot of play when the slider is out the 96 inches though.

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
So I'm in the market for a small miter saw that's lightweight and
actually portable. Pretty much all the players have one, I'm just
wondering which one is "best". And I'm also looking for a small table
saw. Same type thing - small and portable for taking to a jobsite
easily. Primarily for toe-kick and trim. I'm tired of lugging a 12"
SCMS around to cut a few pieces of 4" toe-kick.

TIA. Happy Holidays.
JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 25, 1:09*pm, Jay Pique wrote:
On Nov 25, 12:48*pm, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I've got a 100 year old Goodell miter box with a 24" Disston saw. *Cuts
molding with one stroke and needs no plug or battery :-).

How the hell does it cut?

I think the blade has teeth.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/25/10 10:42 AM, Jay Pique wrote:
So I'm in the market for a small miter saw that's lightweight and
actually portable. Pretty much all the players have one, I'm just
wondering which one is "best". And I'm also looking for a small table
saw. Same type thing - small and portable for taking to a jobsite
easily. Primarily for toe-kick and trim. I'm tired of lugging a 12"
SCMS around to cut a few pieces of 4" toe-kick.

TIA. Happy Holidays.
JP

Not sure if it will suit your needs, but I was very intrigued with this
when I saw it at Lowes...
http://www.amazon.com/Skil-3600-02-1.../dp/B0037KM8TQ

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:

On Nov 25, 11:42 am, Jay Pique wrote:
So I'm in the market for a small miter saw that's lightweight and
actually portable. Pretty much all the players have one, I'm just
wondering which one is "best". And I'm also looking for a small table
saw. Same type thing - small and portable for taking to a jobsite
easily. Primarily for toe-kick and trim. I'm tired of lugging a 12"
SCMS around to cut a few pieces of 4" toe-kick.

TIA. Happy Holidays.
JP

Ok so I like the look and the price of the Hitachi 10" cms - Hitachi
C10FCE2. $99 at amazon.com with free shipping.

Now for the table saw...

JP

Delta makes a decent one. Think I picked one up years ago for 69.00 still
going strong but the switch is stuck on,on. Usually set it up between two
portable saw horses with a power strip attached with a working on/off
switch.
I have the Hitachi 12 and love it. I need the additional size because I do a
lot of large crown molding.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 25, 1:13*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 25, 1:09*pm, Jay Pique wrote:

On Nov 25, 12:48*pm, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I've got a 100 year old Goodell miter box with a 24" Disston saw. *Cuts
molding with one stroke and needs no plug or battery :-).

How the hell does it cut?

I think the blade has teeth.

But how does the blade move with no plug or battery? Dear god don't
tell me you have to actually move your arm or something so....archaic.
JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
On Nov 25, 12:48 pm, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I've got a 100 year old Goodell miter box with a 24" Disston saw. Cuts
molding with one stroke and needs no plug or battery :-).

How the hell does it cut?
JP

He uses Armstrong power. WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
So I'm in the market for a small miter saw that's lightweight and
actually portable. Pretty much all the players have one, I'm just
wondering which one is "best". And I'm also looking for a small table
saw. Same type thing - small and portable for taking to a jobsite
easily. Primarily for toe-kick and trim. I'm tired of lugging a 12"
SCMS around to cut a few pieces of 4" toe-kick.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

You ought to consider making your own.

I started with a 18 wide 30 inch long (size can vary according to your
needs) piece of stable plywood, and screwed a 30" long 2x4 to the face
along each edge. A scrap of 1/4" ply on top of the 2x gets what follows up
higher so a 2x can be cut.

Get a couple 1" angle iron or angle aluminum, and modify by cutting off
most of one leg so it so it has legs of 1" and 3/8". Fasten them at a 90
degree angle to the 2x's and on top of the stacked 2x and 1/4 ply, just far
enough apart that the shoe of your favorite circular saw (plug in or battery
powered) will support the saw but capture it but so it can slide forward
and back in the channel without slop. Pooooff! Poor man's radial arm saw.

Cut the angle so it is long enough to park the saw outside the cutting area,
between cuts. Prop the moveable guard open, and go to town. It can still
be used to cut bevels.

I use this rig for cutting stuff that is usually going to be cut square, and
this keeps it easy and accurate. It is really handy for natural and manmade
siding.
--
Jim in NC