Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Progress On New House

4 weeks and 4 days after ground break, last Saturday.

Brick and stone is almost complete. Sheetrock, cabinets and most trim is
in. Hope to be moving in just before Christmas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 18:41:34 -0600, "Leon" wrote:

4 weeks and 4 days after ground break, last Saturday.

Brick and stone is almost complete. Sheetrock, cabinets and most trim is
in. Hope to be moving in just before Christmas.

Wow! Eight weeks from first shovel to moving van? I guess they didn't wait
for the slab to set up before they were hammering on sticks. ;-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/24/2010 05:41 PM, Leon wrote:
4 weeks and 4 days after ground break, last Saturday.

Brick and stone is almost complete. Sheetrock, cabinets and most trim is
in. Hope to be moving in just before Christmas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

Awesome Leon, you've earned it!

- Doug
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

4 weeks and 4 days after ground break, last Saturday.

Brick and stone is almost complete. Sheetrock, cabinets and most trim is
in. Hope to be moving in just before Christmas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

Thats great progress. Whats nice about building a house now is only the
Grade A Tradesman are left. All the Hacks have been weeded out! Are you
doing any of the work? How many square feet is your home? I like the design,
kinda like new meets old. What would you call the style? Also love the high
Hip Roofs and the long windows. Also would love to know the Sq.Ft. cost?
Lots of questions I know but this is my line of work.

Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 17:36:05 -0800, Rich wrote:

Leon wrote:

4 weeks and 4 days after ground break, last Saturday.

Brick and stone is almost complete. Sheetrock, cabinets and most trim is
in. Hope to be moving in just before Christmas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

Thats great progress. Whats nice about building a house now is only the
Grade A Tradesman are left. All the Hacks have been weeded out! Are you
doing any of the work? How many square feet is your home? I like the design,
kinda like new meets old. What would you call the style? Also love the high
Hip Roofs and the long windows. Also would love to know the Sq.Ft. cost?
Lots of questions I know but this is my line of work.

High hip roofs. Evidently high roofs are required here (East Alabama),
which is nuts considering the weather. I sorta like my high hip roof (15:12)
because it's giving me space in the attic (bonus room area) to put a decent
shop. ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rich wrote:

Leon wrote:

4 weeks and 4 days after ground break, last Saturday.

Brick and stone is almost complete. Sheetrock, cabinets and most trim is
in. Hope to be moving in just before Christmas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

Thats great progress. Whats nice about building a house now is only the
Grade A Tradesman are left. All the Hacks have been weeded out! Are you
doing any of the work? How many square feet is your home? I like the
design, kinda like new meets old. What would you call the style? Also love
the high Hip Roofs and the long windows. Also would love to know the
Sq.Ft. cost? Lots of questions I know but this is my line of work.

Rich

Also meant to ask what that indent is on the left of the garage?
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 24, 6:41*pm, "Leon" wrote:
4 weeks and 4 days after ground break, last Saturday.

Brick and stone is almost complete. *Sheetrock, cabinets and most trim is
in. *Hope to be moving in just before Christmas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

Good Lord Leon, that is incredible progress and a great looking home
to boot.

Are you participating with any of the finish or letting the builders
do it? With your woodworking background, watching has to be a tad
frustrating.

I thought we kept things going on our house. We acted as general
contractor and broke ground in August of 2008. The sheet-rock crew
finished the first weekend of December and we took over from there.
We were able to move in on the first of February, 2009 but it was far
from finished. I did have an excellent local shop do most of the
cabinets but I did some of them myself. Basement is the 2011 project.

I have told several friends that when you finish out your own
retirement home, you will spend the rest of your days looking at your
screw-ups!

We get lots of compliments, but I know where all of those little
buggers are.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
4 weeks and 4 days after ground break, last Saturday.

Brick and stone is almost complete. Sheetrock, cabinets and most trim is
in. Hope to be moving in just before Christmas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

That would be a wonderful Christmas present!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rich" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

4 weeks and 4 days after ground break, last Saturday.

Brick and stone is almost complete. Sheetrock, cabinets and most trim is
in. Hope to be moving in just before Christmas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

Thats great progress. Whats nice about building a house now is only the
Grade A Tradesman are left. All the Hacks have been weeded out! Are you
doing any of the work? How many square feet is your home? I like the
design,
kinda like new meets old. What would you call the style? Also love the
high
Hip Roofs and the long windows. Also would love to know the Sq.Ft. cost?
Lots of questions I know but this is my line of work.

there a re a few of us that tend to agree that the better workers are
probably the ones working these days. Unfortunately I am only paying for
the house. I wold have liked to have done the kitchen but that was
basically our of the question with this type construction and builder. Sq
Ft 2280. Approximately 1700 down stairs and 580 upstairs. The upstairs, a
full bath, 1 bedroom, and a game room is pretty much dedicated to my wife
and her quilting stuff. I get the 3 car garage for wood working. Style???
Clueless... however the front with the rock, which will also be att the base
of the front porch posts, has an Austin, Tx kinda style of architecture,
sorta. Cost about $75 per square foot.

..

Rich
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RonB" wrote in message
On Nov 24, 6:41 pm, "Leon" wrote:
4 weeks and 4 days after ground break, last Saturday.

Brick and stone is almost complete. Sheetrock, cabinets and most trim is
in. Hope to be moving in just before Christmas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

Good Lord Leon, that is incredible progress and a great looking home
to boot.

Thank you, and yeah the guys have been busy. Oddly I try to visit every
couple of days and 90% of the work is done M-F.

Are you participating with any of the finish or letting the builders
do it? With your woodworking background, watching has to be a tad
frustrating.

I would have liked to have done the kitchen but had no time and this
particular type construction does not allow for any delay so to speak. I am
involved in another kitchen job at the moment and that is being followed by
a bedroom job and lots of stuff for theis house when I get the time.

I thought we kept things going on our house. We acted as general
contractor and broke ground in August of 2008. The sheet-rock crew
finished the first weekend of December and we took over from there.
We were able to move in on the first of February, 2009 but it was far
from finished. I did have an excellent local shop do most of the
cabinets but I did some of them myself. Basement is the 2011 project.

I have told several friends that when you finish out your own
retirement home, you will spend the rest of your days looking at your
screw-ups!

We get lots of compliments, but I know where all of those little
buggers are.

LOL.. You will forget those little problem areas as time passes. I have
done some major upgrades to our current house and there were mistakes but I
only really remember one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in message
eb.com...

"Leon" wrote in message
4 weeks and 4 days after ground break, last Saturday.

Brick and stone is almost complete. Sheetrock, cabinets and most trim is
in. Hope to be moving in just before Christmas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

That would be a wonderful Christmas present!!

If'in some one was giving it to us. LOL

Fortunatley my wife and I have lived in our current modest home or 30 years
and paid it off 14 years ago. We vowed to not have another mortgage and we
won't with this one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rich" wrote in message
Rich wrote:

Leon wrote:

[...]

Indent? Front Porch and or the in set rock. Actually the lower section of
the front of the house is rock.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 18:41:34 -0600, "Leon" wrote:

4 weeks and 4 days after ground break, last Saturday.

Brick and stone is almost complete. Sheetrock, cabinets and most trim is
in. Hope to be moving in just before Christmas.

Wow! Eight weeks from first shovel to moving van? I guess they didn't
wait
for the slab to set up before they were hammering on sticks. ;-)

They only sunk into the concrete a little bit. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 23:09:12 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in message
web.com...

"Leon" wrote in message
4 weeks and 4 days after ground break, last Saturday.

Brick and stone is almost complete. Sheetrock, cabinets and most trim is
in. Hope to be moving in just before Christmas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

That would be a wonderful Christmas present!!

If'in some one was giving it to us. LOL

Fortunatley my wife and I have lived in our current modest home or 30 years
and paid it off 14 years ago. We vowed to not have another mortgage and we
won't with this one.

That's the very bestest Christmas present you could have given to
yourselves, Leon. Congrats and ENJOY!

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 23:10:14 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"Rich" wrote in message
Rich wrote:

Leon wrote:

[...]

Massive 8' x 8' front porch!
I guess "whatever keeps the rain and snow off" works, eh?

Screen it in (I'm dying to try ScreenEze here) for a nice
morning/evening rest area where you can wave to neighbors.

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rich" wrote in message
Rich wrote:

Leon wrote:

[...]

Ahhh, you may be talking about the house number block.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in message
aweb.com...

"Leon" wrote in message
4 weeks and 4 days after ground break, last Saturday.

Brick and stone is almost complete. Sheetrock, cabinets and most trim
is
in. Hope to be moving in just before Christmas.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...n/photostream/

That would be a wonderful Christmas present!!

If'in some one was giving it to us. LOL

Fortunatley my wife and I have lived in our current modest home or 30
years
and paid it off 14 years ago. We vowed to not have another mortgage and
we
won't with this one.

That's the very bestest Christmas present you could have given to
yourselves, Leon. Congrats and ENJOY!

Thank you

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 23:10:14 -0600, "Leon"

Massive 8' x 8' front porch!
I guess "whatever keeps the rain and snow off" works, eh?

Screen it in (I'm dying to try ScreenEze here) for a nice
morning/evening rest area where you can wave to neighbors.

The front porch is approximately 5x14, back porch 11x11.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 08:39:12 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 23:10:14 -0600, "Leon"

Massive 8' x 8' front porch!
I guess "whatever keeps the rain and snow off" works, eh?

Screen it in (I'm dying to try ScreenEze here) for a nice
morning/evening rest area where you can wave to neighbors.

The front porch is approximately 5x14, back porch 11x11.

It must have been the back porch I was thinking of. It looked as wide
and deep as it was tall, so I called it 8'. My bad.

http://www.screeneze.com/ in case you were interested. I'm still
looking for discounters ('cuz I don't pay retail if I can help it)
but it would be easy to remove the screens and install visqueen for
the fall and winter, keeping the place more usable for more of the
year.

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

there a re a few of us that tend to agree that the better workers are
probably the ones working these days. Unfortunately I am only paying for
the house. I wold have liked to have done the kitchen but that was
basically our of the question with this type construction and builder. Sq
Ft 2280. Approximately 1700 down stairs and 580 upstairs. The upstairs,
a full bath, 1 bedroom, and a game room is pretty much dedicated to my
wife
and her quilting stuff. I get the 3 car garage for wood working.
Style??? Clueless... however the front with the rock, which will also be
att the base of the front porch posts, has an Austin, Tx kinda style of
architecture,
sorta. Cost about $75 per square foot.

Yes after looking closely at that side of the garage I figured it was a
lighted address bar. Was this your plan or was it the builders? I really
like the architecture and the long windows give it a Victorian/1880's look.
Good price per sq.ft.!! I figured the exposed steel posts were going to get
a stone finish as well as the front facade. No basements in TX? Nice place
and lots of property. Enjoy your new HOME!!!

Rich

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Man. 2010.1 Spring
KDE4.4
2.6.33.5-desktop-2mnb
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rich" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

[...]

Just a painted cement cast address block. Builders plan, a very common and
apparently a product of Strand Engineering IIRC. The builder is DR Horton.
We saw 4 different builders using a "very similar" floor plan. No basement.
;~( Then engineering company acts as a 3rd party inspector during the
foundation and framing process.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
4 weeks and 4 days after ground break, last Saturday.

Brick and stone is almost complete. Sheetrock, cabinets and most trim is
in. Hope to be moving in just before Christmas.

Changed to smaller uploads

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...1241/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...1189/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...8624/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...8544/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0873/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...8366/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0713/lightbox/

Posted to rec.woodworking

The cool thing for me is when I look back at my construction photos (to find
studs for missed HRV wiring and stuff) is that the whole thing started out
with a pile of lumber on the gravel driveway.

I figure I spent over $1500 on fastening devices (mostly nails) to hold all
that kindling together for mine.

Nice going. Lots of luck.

Q. Are the stairs construction only, to be replaced, or will there be caps
going on them later?

"Leon" wrote in message
Changed to smaller uploads

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...1241/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...1189/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...8624/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...8544/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0873/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...8366/lightbox/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0713/lightbox/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Josepi" wrote in message
The cool thing for me is when I look back at my construction photos (to
find
studs for missed HRV wiring and stuff) is that the whole thing started out
with a pile of lumber on the gravel driveway.

Yeah, I have about 125 photos strictly for relocating wiring boxes.. Found
two that the dry wallers covered up that the electrician has not relocate
yet.

I figure I spent over $1500 on fastening devices (mostly nails) to hold
all
that kindling together for mine.

Nice going. Lots of luck.

Q. Are the stairs construction only, to be replaced, or will there be caps
going on them later?

Stair are permanent and will be carpeted. In the future at some point I
will yank the carpet and cover the treads with oak.

Posted to rec.woodworking

ROFLMAO. I noticed one of those at my son's house, being an electrical guy.
Long bulge in the drywall and a place where a box should be. They fix it but
think of the drywall screws that will not be tightened down.

I also caught one on a piece of kitchen country that had no receptical.
Knowing our code I knew that a counter top of more than 18" had to have a
receptical in it. Somebody had to hack up drywall....LOL Now it is where
their kettle sits and gets used permanently plugged in there.

Remember if the cord can't reach everywhere it needs another receptical.
Lamps = 6' long, kettles = 18" long. Pots only get called black and don't
have cords.

"Josepi" wrote in message
The cool thing for me is when I look back at my construction photos (to
find
studs for missed HRV wiring and stuff) is that the whole thing started out
with a pile of lumber on the gravel driveway.

More progress with the mill Ignoramus22661 Metalworking 23 August 13th 10 08:33 AM
Some more fun and progress Ignoramus28478 Metalworking 2 June 13th 10 03:19 AM
Bed progress Stoutman Woodworking 25 February 20th 07 04:09 PM
Insulating a solid wall house on a budget, my (slow) progress. Ian Stirling UK diy 5 February 8th 07 07:50 PM
Illegally renting main house and living in another house built on back of the house on same plot... Kaushik Home Ownership 13 October 23rd 04 12:32 PM