Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default More progress with the mill

Not as much progress lately for three reasons.

1. I was away for 4 days
2. It is very hot in the garage
3. I have been using the mill a lot, besides just working on it.

I got a few things accomplished, however.

1. I mounted a nice 17 inch monitor (1280x1024) in place of the old
display. I had to cnc machine the brackets holding it, which was
awfully nice. I could dream up the shape I want, alter it, etc and
the mill makes exactly what it is instructed to make. The brackets
were curvy where necessary, which was no problem for the mill, of
course.

2. Mounted keyboard on brackets under where the old control was
(slightly under the pendant).

So, now I have a gaping hole in place of where the old Heidenhain
control was. Keyboard is under that hole, a few buttons on the left,
and finally the new 17" monitor is above that hole. I would say it is
12x10 or even more. So, what should I do with it?

My only answer was to use that to put in little shelves and keep my
measuring tools (edge finder, calipers, touch probe etc etc) in that
little area on the tiny shelves.

Any other ideas?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus22661 wrote:

Not as much progress lately for three reasons.

1. I was away for 4 days
2. It is very hot in the garage

No chit. I'm just to the east of you and as soon as I get out of work, I head home, to
get into air conditioning. I now know what fat feels like being rendered. It is only 90
and humid inside the plant. South of me, oh, damn, you guys and gals have my sympathy.

3. I have been using the mill a lot, besides just working on it.

That is good. Pictures of what you have made?

I got a few things accomplished, however.

1. I mounted a nice 17 inch monitor (1280x1024) in place of the old
display. I had to cnc machine the brackets holding it, which was
awfully nice. I could dream up the shape I want, alter it, etc and
the mill makes exactly what it is instructed to make. The brackets
were curvy where necessary, which was no problem for the mill, of
course.

Sweet!

2. Mounted keyboard on brackets under where the old control was
(slightly under the pendant).

So, now I have a gaping hole in place of where the old Heidenhain
control was. Keyboard is under that hole, a few buttons on the left,
and finally the new 17" monitor is above that hole. I would say it is
12x10 or even more. So, what should I do with it?

My only answer was to use that to put in little shelves and keep my
measuring tools (edge finder, calipers, touch probe etc etc) in that
little area on the tiny shelves.

Sounds like an excellent idea. The flat top of my lathe is cluttered with tooling,
measuring instruments, and inserts. That is what flat surfaces are for.

Any other ideas?

Not really, you seem to be figuring the clutter part out fine for your self.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

2. It is very hot in the garage

No chit. I'm just to the east of you and as soon as I get out of work, I head home, to
get into air conditioning. I now know what fat feels like being rendered. It is only 90
and humid inside the plant. South of me, oh, damn, you guys and gals have my sympathy.

Its just friggin' awful here in MN. Dew point of 70+ and nearly 90. I
need to work outside and just can't. How do folks in places like
Mississippi live?

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message

2. It is very hot in the garage

No chit. I'm just to the east of you and as soon as I get out of work, I
head home, to
get into air conditioning. I now know what fat feels like being rendered.
It is only 90
and humid inside the plant. South of me, oh, damn, you guys and gals have
my sympathy.

Its just friggin' awful here in MN. Dew point of 70+ and nearly 90. I
need to work outside and just can't. How do folks in places like
Mississippi live?

Karl

Yesterday it was 96 F here in central NJ. Today it was 78 and drizzling, so
there is hope.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus22661 wrote:

[...]

You could mount one of the X-Keys programmable keypads in that space,
and custom label and program it for all the commonly used pendant
functions. They have a model with a jog/shuttle wheel which would be
nice for manual control along with some of the buttons around it
programmed for axis select and step increment select. I'm sure there are
some EMC specific pendants available as well, there are a number for
Mach3.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Ignoramus22661 wrote:

Not as much progress lately for three reasons.

1. I was away for 4 days
2. It is very hot in the garage

No chit. I'm just to the east of you and as soon as I get out of
work, I head home, to get into air conditioning. I now know what
fat feels like being rendered. It is only 90 and humid inside the
plant. South of me, oh, damn, you guys and gals have my sympathy.

And we need it ! It was 102 here in Memphis today , with a heat index near
120 . More of the same tomorrow . Thank (Diety of choice) that I've had work
in an air conditioned space this week .

--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 12, 5:52*pm, Wes wrote:

Sounds like an excellent idea. The flat top of my lathe is cluttered with tooling,
measuring instruments, and inserts. *That is what flat surfaces are for..

No, no, no. Flat surfaces are the exclusive territory of cats.
Anything placed on a flat surface is, by default, a cat toy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
2. It is very hot in the garage

No chit. I'm just to the east of you and as soon as I get out of
work, I head home, to get into air conditioning. I now know what
fat feels like being rendered. It is only 90 and humid inside the
plant. South of me, oh, damn, you guys and gals have my sympathy.

Its just friggin' awful here in MN. Dew point of 70+ and nearly 90. I
need to work outside and just can't. How do folks in places like
Mississippi live?

Karl

Inside as much as possible . I'm not quite in Mississippi , but about as
close as one can get .

--
Snag
Wannabe Machinist

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-12, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus22661 wrote:

Not as much progress lately for three reasons.

1. I was away for 4 days
2. It is very hot in the garage

No chit. I'm just to the east of you and as soon as I get out of work, I head home, to
get into air conditioning. I now know what fat feels like being rendered. It is only 90
and humid inside the plant. South of me, oh, damn, you guys and gals have my sympathy.

I lived in Oklahoma for a while, there, 110 degrees was not unusual.

I can work in the garage, with the fan running, but it just is not as
fun as it could be.

3. I have been using the mill a lot, besides just working on it.

That is good. Pictures of what you have made?

Some pictures

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Andrey-Pa...-0003.jpg.html

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...ting-Brackets/

Also made some molds for wax.

I got a few things accomplished, however.

1. I mounted a nice 17 inch monitor (1280x1024) in place of the old
display. I had to cnc machine the brackets holding it, which was
awfully nice. I could dream up the shape I want, alter it, etc and
the mill makes exactly what it is instructed to make. The brackets
were curvy where necessary, which was no problem for the mill, of
course.

Sweet!

Yes.. The monitor is from a trash pile at work. It had no stand, which
actually suited me just fine.

2. Mounted keyboard on brackets under where the old control was
(slightly under the pendant).

So, now I have a gaping hole in place of where the old Heidenhain
control was. Keyboard is under that hole, a few buttons on the left,
and finally the new 17" monitor is above that hole. I would say it is
12x10 or even more. So, what should I do with it?

My only answer was to use that to put in little shelves and keep my
measuring tools (edge finder, calipers, touch probe etc etc) in that
little area on the tiny shelves.

Sounds like an excellent idea. The flat top of my lathe is cluttered
with tooling, measuring instruments, and inserts. That is what flat
surfaces are for.

I have no free flat surfaces.

Any other ideas?

Not really, you seem to be figuring the clutter part out fine for your self.

I am "trying to declutter" in anticipation of a visit by an esteemed
member of this newsgroup next week. I do not want my garage to look
like a dumpster.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
.. .

2. It is very hot in the garage

No chit. I'm just to the east of you and as soon as I get out of work, I
head home, to
get into air conditioning. I now know what fat feels like being rendered.
It is only 90
and humid inside the plant. South of me, oh, damn, you guys and gals have
my sympathy.

Its just friggin' awful here in MN. Dew point of 70+ and nearly 90. I
need to work outside and just can't. How do folks in places like
Mississippi live?

Karl

Yesterday it was 96 F here in central NJ. Today it was 78 and drizzling, so
there is hope.

Ouch. But after rain, comes more humidity. I'm getting tired of checking the NWS website
to see that my humiditiy is at 100% each morning. I doubt either one of us are
experiencing an Arizona 'dry' heat.

I went online to pay my electric bill today, noticed that my budgeted plan wanted an extra
159 bucks to settle for the year. Not so sure how much was my heated machine room and how
much was my almost constantly running a/c in power save mode. Oh well, my comfort is
worth it.

On the flip side, I got to skip a payment on propane last month since winter was mild so I
broke even when I had to settle that budgeted account. Global warming content there

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 17:41:36 -0500, Ignoramus22661

On 2010-08-12, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus22661 wrote:

[...]

Iggy...its REQUIRED that your shop looks like ****!

I mean geeze dude...having a squeeky neat shop...is..is..is...nasty!
Effeminate! DUDE!!!

Now Ill admit..mine is far far past looking like ****...way over to the
**** Hole stage......but Tovarish...only panseys have Neat Shops!!

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Dry heat here means that mushrooms may grow in your hat, but not in your
ears.

I went online to pay my electric bill today, noticed that my budgeted plan
wanted an extra
159 bucks to settle for the year. Not so sure how much was my heated
machine room and how
much was my almost constantly running a/c in power save mode. Oh well, my
comfort is
worth it.

On the flip side, I got to skip a payment on propane last month since
winter was mild so I
broke even when I had to settle that budgeted account. Global warming
content there

Wes

I sounds like you have the climate well controlled -- at least in your
house. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress (typing while sitting in front of an air conditioner/water
distiller unit -- too bad batteries are sealed these days)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Ouch. But after rain, comes more humidity. I'm getting tired of checking
the NWS website
to see that my humiditiy is at 100% each morning. I doubt either one of
us are
experiencing an Arizona 'dry' heat.

Dry heat here means that mushrooms may grow in your hat, but not in your
ears.

I've noticed the east coast has been hit hard this year.

[...]

Yes, free battery water. That likely went over the heads of 40 and below.

I'm still waiting for a G24-48 gel cell for a electric pallet jack with fork lift
capability. The economy is coming back, getting a freaking battery is taking a week and
fanuc parts are out there at least a week+ or so on many items.

Japan doesn't seem to understand JIT like they used to. I needed a bearing pack for a THK
motion system. It was 2 months out two months ago. I just recieved it. I can tell you
many horror stories about getting repair parts out of Japan. Japan is getting worse than
Europe on holiday.

The recovery, that I think has finally started, is going to be rocky. My opinion might be
biased by working in a firm that has a pick up in sales during the summer.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes, what bothers me is that it is even worse in my garage than
outside. It feels outright oppressive in here. I explain this by

1) The attic has no ventilation and gets hot
2) I get radiative heat form the walls, but outside there is no heat
coming from the sky.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus22661" wrote in message
Wes, what bothers me is that it is even worse in my garage than
outside. It feels outright oppressive in here. I explain this by

1) The attic has no ventilation and gets hot
2) I get radiative heat form the walls, but outside there is no heat
coming from the sky.

I'm really looking forward to being there next week, Iggy. You make it sound
so inviting. Would you rather go fishing? I have tickets for a Kane County
Cougars minor-league game on Monday. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-12, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus22661 wrote:

[...]

It would not becmoe neat, in any case.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 18:29:50 -0500, Ignoramus22661
wrote:

Wes, what bothers me is that it is even worse in my garage than
outside. It feels outright oppressive in here. I explain this by

1) The attic has no ventilation and gets hot
2) I get radiative heat form the walls, but outside there is no heat
coming from the sky.

So put in a powered gable vent, or at the least..one of those turbines
that go on the roof.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-12, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus22661 wrote:

[...]

Whew...I was getting worried there for a minute. I could just see you
swishing around in slacks and a pullover, cute shop apron firmly tied
on...penny loafers on your feet ...Lisping in a Russian accent.....
wiping fingerprints off the machines and setting doillies under all the
tool boxes....

Grim...really really grim.

Im glad we wont be having to deal with THAT here....

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Thu, 12 Aug 2010 16:08:42 -0700

I am "trying to declutter" in anticipation of a visit by an esteemed
member of this newsgroup next week. I do not want my garage to look
like a dumpster.

Iggy...its REQUIRED that your shop looks like ****!

I mean geeze dude...having a squeeky neat shop...is..is..is...nasty!
Effeminate! DUDE!!!

Now Ill admit..mine is far far past looking like ****...way over to the
**** Hole stage......but Tovarish...only panseys have Neat Shops!!

After the fourth year, the dirt doesn't change, so it doesn't
matter.

And geeze, think of the fun your heirs will have trying to sort
the **** from the schinola.

pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 18:49:27 -0400, Wes
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

That must have been the hottest day yet this summer.

Here's something to cheer ya'll up.

http://www.solarcycle24.com/flares.htm

The cycle is just starting its upward climb. Hey I was really worried
when I moved up north and there was hardly any sun spots in '08.

SW

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

[...]

The economy is what's happened since your last paycheck. g Sorry to hear
about the Japanese parts. Maybe they laid their people off, or they're
sending the parts to China first.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I learned how to add custom buttons and controls to EMC2/AXIS, so I
can design my own control.

Besides that, did mostly minor, boring stuff today. Did not make a
single chip. Debugged some G code. Took out a lot of unused encoder
wires and put them in trash pile. Already much less clutter. Started
cleaning garage, too.

I think that I will take out the entire wire bundle, going from the
control box to pendant. It is huge and 90% unnecessary. I will keep
the wires I need, add a few more that need to be added since the
control is no longer inside the pendant, and throw away, the rest. It
will make the control box a lot less cluttered, and would allow me to
route the VGA cable and display power cord through the pendant arm.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-12, Karl Townsend wrote:

2. It is very hot in the garage

No chit. I'm just to the east of you and as soon as I get out of work, I head home, to
get into air conditioning. I now know what fat feels like being rendered. It is only 90
and humid inside the plant. South of me, oh, damn, you guys and gals have my sympathy.

Its just friggin' awful here in MN. Dew point of 70+ and nearly 90. I
need to work outside and just can't. How do folks in places like
Mississippi live?

Actually -- "nearly 90" is better than some of what we have been
getting.

Visit:

http://www.d-and-d.com/Weather/weather-report-classic.html

and scroll down to look at the "Last 7 Days Outdoors" graph. Beware
that the scale for the temperature (red) is different from the humidity
(blue).

Today (yesterday by the time you read this) was pretty good --
at only about 87 F peakd. The previous two days peaked at 95 F, and
within the last month, we had over 100 F (the official temperatures at
the airports were higher than ours with some trees offering cooling
shade).

If you are in time to see the 5-Aug-6Aug time, note the plateau
of humidity (blue) -- when we had a total of nearly 3" of rain (now off
the 7-day record in the "test tubes" display.

We got about 1.2" of rain last evening, and the humidity is
sky-high again. :-)

But quite a few people lost power and several homes and one
large apartment building were seriously damaged by falling trees.

This has been a rather exciting year for weather -- with over
30" of snow last winter and all. :-)

No air conditioning in the shop -- just a floor pedestal fan
which I can point at where I am working at the moment -- or trip over
trying to get past it. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

?
?Dry heat here means that mushrooms may grow in your hat, but not in your
?ears.

I've noticed the east coast has been hit hard this year.
?
??
[...]
?--
[...]

Panasonic has a 25 week lead time on some electrolytics I need. I
like their FM series low ESR 105°C capacitors for switching power
supplies.