Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cutting board knot hole filler

I have a maple cutting board that has some open knots I need to fill
with a food-safe filler.

I was thinking of a heavy cut of shellac, but wanted to see if there
were other opinions out there. Anyone had to fill some small cracks/
knot-holes in a cutting board? What did you use to do it?

Thanks,
Otto
Posted to rec.woodworking

Epoxy.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Otto" wrote in message
I have a maple cutting board that has some open knots I need to
fill
with a food-safe filler.

I was thinking of a heavy cut of shellac, but wanted to see if
there
were other opinions out there. Anyone had to fill some small
cracks/
knot-holes in a cutting board? What did you use to do it?

Thanks,
Otto

Posted to rec.woodworking

Epoxy will work, as long as you are not planning putting epoxy on the
surface you are going to be cutting on.

Given the fact that knots are extremely porus, you might reconsider this
project all together and use some wood without knots or open grain.

I would if it were me.

Deb

DanG wrote:

Epoxy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Cracks, holes, deep grooves, anything that can harbor bacteria will
make a cutting board unsafe to use. All kinds of nasties can grow in
a hole or crack, and they can't be easily cleaned out.

Better safe than sorry. Get/make a new cutting board. Unless you are
looking for a project, they are so cheap these days at discount stores
they aren't worth making, and easy enough to replace.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Otto" wrote in message
I have a maple cutting board that has some open knots I need to fill
with a food-safe filler.

I was thinking of a heavy cut of shellac, but wanted to see if there
were other opinions out there. Anyone had to fill some small cracks/
knot-holes in a cutting board? What did you use to do it?

There is no filler which will move with the wood as it gets wet and dry.
Only maple is a suitable material for repairing a maple board. Let in a
piece of wood.

Tim w

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Otto" wrote:

I have a maple cutting board that has some open knots I need to fill
with a food-safe filler.

-----------------------
Quality epoxy and filler to make repairs will cost more than new maple
to make a new board.

I'd use the existing board to make maple chips for smoking meats and
get on with it.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 22, 3:34*am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

I'd use the existing board to make maple chips for smoking meats and
get on with it.

There ya go!

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

Let in a
piece of wood.

Tim w

Bingo, he gets the prize.

Drill a hole and fill it with a maple dowel.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Let in a
piece of wood.

Tim w

Bingo, he gets the prize.

Well, what can I say?

A suprise, a great honour, I want to thank you all.

Tim W

Posted to rec.woodworking
No Name

Why not rout out and plug the knot?
Use same wood as a match.
Joe M.
"Otto" wrote in message
I have a maple cutting board that has some open knots I need to fill
with a food-safe filler.

I was thinking of a heavy cut of shellac, but wanted to see if there
were other opinions out there. Anyone had to fill some small cracks/
knot-holes in a cutting board? What did you use to do it?

Thanks,
Otto

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Otto" wrote in message

I have a maple cutting board that has some open knots I need to fill
with a food-safe filler.

How about drilling out the knots and replacing them with maple plugs?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 22, 4:38*pm, "DGDevin" wrote:
"Otto" *wrote in message

I have a maple cutting board that has some open knots I need to fill
with a food-safe filler.

How about drilling out the knots and replacing them with maple plugs?

Thank you all for the thoughts and insights.

Surprisingly, the wood has some 'sentimental' value. Comes from a tree
in the back yard. So I don't want to trash it.

I'm going to do the rout-out and plug option.

Otto

Posted to rec.woodworking

"http://www.Towood.com/ Export Furniture" wrote in
message

"Otto" wrote in message

Thank you all for the thoughts and insights.

Surprisingly, the wood has some 'sentimental' value. Comes from a tree
in the back yard. So I don't want to trash it.

I'm going to do the rout-out and plug option.

Otto

On Nov 22, 4:38 pm, "DGDevin" wrote:
How about drilling out the knots and replacing them with maple plugs?

i think it's better not use glue in your cutting board .

Nor use glue???

Cutting boards are traditionally laminated from strips of hardwood. Glue is
used to hold the hardwood strips together. Otherwise you would need a piece
of wood that is very wide. And that would lead to super cupping and
warping.

Unless, of course, you have a secret solution that would prevent said
cupping and warping.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 23:20:51 -0500, "Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at
comcast dot net wrote:

On Nov 22, 4:38 pm, "DGDevin" wrote:
How about drilling out the knots and replacing them with maple plugs?

i think it's better not use glue in your cutting board .

Nor use glue???

Cutting boards are traditionally laminated from strips of hardwood. Glue is
used to hold the hardwood strips together. Otherwise you would need a piece
of wood that is very wide. And that would lead to super cupping and
warping.

Unless, of course, you have a secret solution that would prevent said
cupping and warping.

He hand cuts really tight sliding dovetails on each board he uses?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Roy wrote in
:

He hand cuts really tight sliding dovetails on each board he uses?

How's he assemble them, then? It'd be really difficult to join tight
sliding dovetails of any real length. Does he use oil?

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On 25 Nov 2010 01:14:09 GMT, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Roy wrote in
:

He hand cuts really tight sliding dovetails on each board he uses?

How's he assemble them, then? It'd be really difficult to join tight
sliding dovetails of any real length. Does he use oil?

Don't ask me. I use glue.

I mentioned sliding dovetails:

A. Because I was being a smart ass.

B. Because that made slightly more sense than suggesting he used foxed wedged
tennons for each piece. Hell, maybe he just drills holes all the way through
and assembles them with some quarter inch all thread. What else would you
expect from a guy who uses his website as his handle here?

C. All of the above

Posted to rec.woodworking

Roy wrote in
:

On 25 Nov 2010 01:14:09 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Roy wrote in
m:

He hand cuts really tight sliding dovetails on each board he uses?

How's he assemble them, then? It'd be really difficult to join tight
sliding dovetails of any real length. Does he use oil?

Don't ask me. I use glue.

I mentioned sliding dovetails:

A. Because I was being a smart ass.

B. Because that made slightly more sense than suggesting he used
foxed wedged tennons for each piece. Hell, maybe he just drills
holes all the way through and assembles them with some quarter inch
all thread. What else would you expect from a guy who uses his
website as his handle here?

C. All of the above

D. Me too. (Well, except for B.)

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to nailshooter41, dogwood wrote:
Wood cutting boards do not harbor bacteria. Just the opposite, they are safer
than plastic cutting boards. The tannins in the wood actually kill bacteria. U
of Wisconsin did a test and the wood boards were more sanitary than one would
think And if done correctly end grain cutting board cracks can be repaired
easily. Been building them for many years.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...er-327093-.htm