Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting a partial hole in a board question

I have a brick wall, about a 1/2 foot high, that used to surround a
playset that got burned down. The brick wall had 2x10 boards on the top
of the wall that created a ledge.

There's metal bolts in the brick to hold the board down. In the current
burnt boards, the person that built it put a "sink", for lack of better
terminology where each bolt was located. IOW, a round hole was cut in
the board at each bolt location that went about 1 inch deep. I guess
this was done with a hole saw.

Let's say the holes were 2 inches in diameter, cut 1 inch deep, then the
tighten the bolt, the bolt will rest at the bottom of the 2 inch hole
cut I made.

If I cut a circle in the board and cut 1 inch down, how do I get that
piece out of the board? Do I use a chisle? Or do hole saws permit me
to create a "sink" that won't go thru the entire board?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Mar 15, 5:29 pm, salad wrote:
[...]

More than likely the former was done w/ a spade bit, but a Forstner
would provide a "cleaner" hole. A holesaw is a possibility, but at
least third down the list of choices.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Some drills have an adjustable stop, which you set for the depth you want
the bit to go. If you drill half way through a board with a hole saw, you
can usually just pop the slug out with a screwdriver

"salad" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"salad" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

I'm betting that the hole that holds the head of the bolt below surface
level is *not* 2". Most builders of these sets use spade bits - cheaper
than Forstners and adequate for the task - and most bolt heads probably
don't exceed 1". Determine the bolt that you will use and carry it over to
the bits and choose one that is just slightly bigger than the bolt head. If
you are using a washer under the bolt head (a good idea if the chosen bolt
is hex head as opposed to carriage) the bit will have to be big enough for
the washer size. Be sure you drill the large hole first to a depth slightly
deeper than the bolt head (+ washer, if used). Then, drill the bolt hole
through. Go slowly, and when you see the tip of the spade bit just barely
poking through pull the drill out and insert the tip through this little
hole and finish the hole. This will prevent tear-out or splintering as the
bit exits the wood. Oh yes, use galvanized hardware which is rust
resistance. Good luck on your project.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 15, 5:29 pm, salad wrote:
[...]

They sell 2" spade bits? Never seen one that big. Back when I did summer
labor building outdoor stuff, the auger they used for the threaded rod holes
had a wing thing at the proper depth to make the countersink. Didn't think
much about it at the time- probably a trade specialty item, rather than
big-box.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 4:29 pm, salad wrote:
[...]

The hole you are talking about is a 'countersunk hole' so the bolt
head won't stick out above the lumber surface. Drill the countersink
first then finish with the 'bolt size' bit.

The common tool used is a spade bit, just a flat chunk of meteal
sharped to cut with a point in the middle and a rod up to go in the
drill. The most common brand is "Speedbore" Just ask for that at the
store. I don't know how big they make them but I know I have a 1 1/4"
and think I have a 1 1/2". Unlikely that you would need one anywhere
near 2". What is needed is one big enough to clear any washer you use
plus make sure that a socket for those bolts will fit down in there.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 15 Mar 2007 19:16:28 -0700, "Harry K"
wrote:

On Mar 15, 4:29 pm, salad wrote:
[...]

Good quality sockets can be a little thinner than the cheap stuff I
keep in my car. Although I doubt it will come down to that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:
On Mar 15, 4:29 pm, salad wrote:
If I cut a circle in the board and cut 1 inch down, how do I get that
piece out of the board? Do I use a chisle? Or do hole saws permit me
to create a "sink" that won't go thru the entire board?

The common tool used is a spade bit, just a flat chunk of meteal
sharped to cut with a point in the middle and a rod up to go in the
drill. The most common brand is "Speedbore" Just ask for that at the
store. I don't know how big they make them but I know I have a 1 1/4"
and think I have a 1 1/2". Unlikely that you would need one anywhere
near 2". What is needed is one big enough to clear any washer you use
plus make sure that a socket for those bolts will fit down in there.

A forstner bit will do this nicely for him. Creates a hole to whatever depth he
needs and leaves a flat bottom in the hole; no chisel required.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 15, 8:09 pm, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com
wrote:
Harry K wrote:
On Mar 15, 4:29 pm, salad wrote:
[...]

I can buy a whole set of Speedbores for one Forstner. Using a
forstner for that purpose is overkill unless you already have one.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

salad wrote:

[...]

Due to your explanations of the tool(s) I need for creating a
countersunk hole I have the the right tools to do that job. You guys
really helped me out with this project.