Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Cutting a partial hole in a board question

On 15 Mar 2007 19:16:28 -0700, "Harry K"
wrote:

On Mar 15, 4:29 pm, salad wrote:
I have a brick wall, about a 1/2 foot high, that used to surround a
playset that got burned down. The brick wall had 2x10 boards on the top
of the wall that created a ledge.

There's metal bolts in the brick to hold the board down. In the current
burnt boards, the person that built it put a "sink", for lack of better
terminology where each bolt was located. IOW, a round hole was cut in
the board at each bolt location that went about 1 inch deep. I guess
this was done with a hole saw.

Let's say the holes were 2 inches in diameter, cut 1 inch deep, then the
tighten the bolt, the bolt will rest at the bottom of the 2 inch hole
cut I made.

If I cut a circle in the board and cut 1 inch down, how do I get that
piece out of the board? Do I use a chisle? Or do hole saws permit me
to create a "sink" that won't go thru the entire board?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

The hole you are talking about is a 'countersunk hole' so the bolt
head won't stick out above the lumber surface. Drill the countersink
first then finish with the 'bolt size' bit.

The common tool used is a spade bit, just a flat chunk of meteal
sharped to cut with a point in the middle and a rod up to go in the
drill. The most common brand is "Speedbore" Just ask for that at the
store. I don't know how big they make them but I know I have a 1 1/4"
and think I have a 1 1/2". Unlikely that you would need one anywhere
near 2". What is needed is one big enough to clear any washer you use
plus make sure that a socket for those bolts will fit down in there.

Harry K

Good quality sockets can be a little thinner than the cheap stuff I
keep in my car. Although I doubt it will come down to that.