Posted to rec.woodworking

Default wood/glass transition

I just bought a door that has a large glass insert that is frosted glass. I
want to stain and varnish the outside frame. What's the best to use to keep
it off the glass? Blue painter's tape? Any other methods?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:
I just bought a door that has a large glass insert that is frosted glass. I
want to stain and varnish the outside frame. What's the best to use to keep
it off the glass? Blue painter's tape? Any other methods?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

If it's an exterior door you actually want to lay a small beadof finish
onto the glass to prevent moisture from getting between the wood and
the glass.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

For large thermal expansions, such as an outside door you would want
something that isn't cracked all the time. The glass needs to move against
the wood and they have different thermal coefficients. Use a flexible clear
caulking after you are done finishing.

Yes, just use lots of tape. You will have a hard time getting the urethane
off the frosted glass. You may want to cleanup with solvents before the
urethane gets too hardened (a day or two, at most)

b.com...

Steve B wrote:
I just bought a door that has a large glass insert that is frosted glass.
want to stain and varnish the outside frame. What's the best to use to
keep
it off the glass? Blue painter's tape? Any other methods?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 10, 11:38*am, Nova wrote:
Steve B wrote:
I just bought a door that has a large glass insert that is frosted glass. *I
want to stain and varnish the outside frame. *What's the best to use to keep
it off the glass? *Blue painter's tape? *Any other methods?

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

If it's an exterior door you actually want to lay a small beadof finish
* onto the glass to prevent moisture from getting between the wood and
the glass.

Like he said. On frosted glass paint is a bitch to clean off. Just
place the tape ~1/16" from the wood. Use the green tape - it's more
flexible, thinner, and there's less bleeding under the tape. Rub the
tape's closest edge down with a cloth to make sure it's down tight.
You may want to seal the closest edge of the tape with some shellac.
That will prevent bleed under and it's easy to wipe off with alcohol
which won't disturb your shiny new finish.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 10, 11:56*am, "Josepi" wrote:

For large thermal expansions, such as an outside door you would want
something that isn't cracked all the time. The glass needs to move against
the wood and they have different thermal coefficients. Use a flexible clear
caulking after you are done finishing.

Large thermal expansions? Where? It's a panel and frame door with "a
large glass panel". The thermal coefficient of expansion of glass is
5, wood is about half that @10-6 in/in per degree F. So what's that
add up to? In a 100F swing it's a couple or three thousandths. Not
exactly a large amount.

Caulking? How? Where? The door is assembled - you want him to do
what, exactly? Force the caulk into a non-existent gap, or run it up
on the edge of the wood? Both poor choices.

Yes, just use lots of tape. You will have a hard time getting the urethane
off the frosted glass. You may want to cleanup with solvents before the
urethane gets too hardened (a day or two, at most)

Lots of tape...are you assuming he has some palsy or something? He
needs exactly one strip of tape running around the glass perimeter if
he's refinishing while it's laying flat. If he's doing it while it's
standing, then he'll mask off the all of the glass with plastic.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/10/2010 12:17 PM, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 10, 11:56 am, wrote:

For large thermal expansions, such as an outside door you would want
something that isn't cracked all the time. The glass needs to move against
the wood and they have different thermal coefficients. Use a flexible clear
caulking after you are done finishing.

Large thermal expansions? Where? It's a panel and frame door with "a
large glass panel". The thermal coefficient of expansion of glass is
5, wood is about half that @10-6 in/in per degree F. So what's that
add up to? In a 100F swing it's a couple or three thousandths. Not
exactly a large amount.

You are so wrong. You are talking strictly heat. The real culprit is
woods naturaul expansion and contraction. I had my bay windows blow the
seals because of the lack of enough growth area. Use a flexible caulk.
And yes the blue painters tape or frog tape are good to protect stains
and finishes.

Caulking? How? Where? The door is assembled - you want him to do
what, exactly? Force the caulk into a non-existent gap, or run it up
on the edge of the wood? Both poor choices.

Yes, just use lots of tape. You will have a hard time getting the urethane
off the frosted glass. You may want to cleanup with solvents before the
urethane gets too hardened (a day or two, at most)

Lots of tape...are you assuming he has some palsy or something? He
needs exactly one strip of tape running around the glass perimeter if
he's refinishing while it's laying flat. If he's doing it while it's
standing, then he'll mask off the all of the glass with plastic.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lots of tape...are you assuming he has some palsy or something?

SPEW! lmao

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 10, 12:35*pm, tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote:
[...]

No, Josie and the Pussycats said _thermal_ expansion, and that's what
I responded to. If you're talking about coefficients of expansion
with respect to humidity, that obviously only applies to the glass.
If the wood is well-sealed with a low permeability finish, there is
minimal movement in the rails and stiles of a framed door. If there
were a lot of movement all doors would require big gaps all the way
around the door/jamb, and, well, that's not the case.

BTW, your experience with your bay windows doesn't translate to anyone
but yourself. No one knows how big the bay windows are, the number of
panes, etc, etc. I would feel safe in assuming that you are comparing
apples to oranges and extrapolating from there.

Caulking? *How? *Where? *The door is assembled - you want him to do
what, exactly? *Force the caulk into a non-existent gap, or run it up
on the edge of the wood? *Both poor choices.

Since you posted about the caulking above, you don't seem to have read
my comments on caulking a non-existent gap. Where's the caulk
supposed to go exactly?

In small gaps, such as the OP's, paint or poly is the best sealant
unless you want to goober up a nice wood door with visible caulk that
is doomed to fail anyway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Steve B" wrote in message
I just bought a door that has a large glass insert that is frosted glass.
I want to stain and varnish the outside frame. What's the best to use to
keep it off the glass? Blue painter's tape? Any other methods?

Steve

Sorry, interior door.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 10, 4:11*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message

I just bought a door that has a large glass insert that is frosted glass..
I want to stain and varnish the outside frame. *What's the best to use to
keep it off the glass? *Blue painter's tape? *Any other methods?

Steve

Sorry, interior door.

Temperature not a factor. Humidity a minimal/marginal factor. My
advice stands.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/10/10 3:30 PM, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 10, 4:11 pm, "Steve wrote:
"Steve wrote in message

I just bought a door that has a large glass insert that is frosted glass.
I want to stain and varnish the outside frame. What's the best to use to
keep it off the glass? Blue painter's tape? Any other methods?

Steve

Sorry, interior door.

Temperature not a factor. Humidity a minimal/marginal factor. My
advice stands.

I hope it's not an oak door or that glass is history. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 10, 4:11 pm, "Steve wrote:
"Steve wrote in message

I just bought a door that has a large glass insert that is frosted
glass.
I want to stain and varnish the outside frame. What's the best to use
keep it off the glass? Blue painter's tape? Any other methods?

Steve

Sorry, interior door.

Temperature not a factor. Humidity a minimal/marginal factor. My
advice stands.

I hope it's not an oak door or that glass is history. :-)

--

-MIKE-

I don't believe they sell oak at Home Depot. I would say from its weight
and color that it is pine or some other wood.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?
Read up and prepare.
Learn how to care for a friend.
http://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/10/10 4:40 PM, Steve B wrote:

I hope it's not an oak door or that glass is history. :-)
--

-MIKE-

I don't believe they sell oak at Home Depot. I would say from its weight
and color that it is pine or some other wood.

Steve

Sorry, Steve. I was bringing up a joke from another thread. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 08:22:38 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

I just bought a door that has a large glass insert that is frosted glass. I
want to stain and varnish the outside frame. What's the best to use to keep
it off the glass? Blue painter's tape? Any other methods?

Liquid frisket.

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 10, 4:11 pm, "Steve *wrote:
"Steve *wrote in message

I just bought a door that has a large glass insert that is frosted glass.
I want to stain and varnish the outside frame. *What's the best to use to
keep it off the glass? *Blue painter's tape? *Any other methods?

Steve

Sorry, interior door.

Temperature not a factor. *Humidity a minimal/marginal factor. * My
advice stands.

I hope it's not an oak door or that glass is history. * *:-)

Not if you use stainless glass...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Home Depot sells lots of door in oak. I am just finisshing one, right now
that almost fits the OP description. No frosted gals...that will come later
after the Varathane layer hardens, with a decal with "wifey's pantry" or
sommething like that. Special order to get ones without the muntin bars and
just plain glass, in oak. Pantry doors were perfect, with their frosted
glass and "Pantry" decor etched into them, if I could fit a 36" wide door.

Now don't mention alcohol based stains to me or my palm sander.

"Steve B" wrote in message
I don't believe they sell oak at Home Depot. I would say from its weight
and color that it is pine or some other wood.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/10/10 6:29 PM, cHips wrote:
shot a wad with;
posted:
?
Lots of tape...are you assuming he has some palsy or something?

SPEW! lmao

I get you know Josie is FOS.
What seems to be not apparent (to those responding) is the
WHY it posts what it does.. or am I wrong about that?
Are there those inr.w who would believe the followups
are actually helping someone?

No mail in the box, Mike.. is there a problem?
I haven't a lot of time to spend with this.
-------------chips @hushmail.com

I'm not really interested in hearing you regale the tales of your
stalking.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 10, 4:11 pm, "Steve *wrote:
"Steve *wrote in message

I just bought a door that has a large glass insert that is frosted glass.
I want to stain and varnish the outside frame. *What's the best to use to
keep it off the glass? *Blue painter's tape? *Any other methods?

Steve

Sorry, interior door.

Temperature not a factor. *Humidity a minimal/marginal factor. * My
advice stands.

I hope it's not an oak door or that glass is history. * *:-)

Not if you use stainless glass...

HAH! Oak rust will dissolve stainless glass just as easily.

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.
-- Pete Seeger
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sorry, interior door.

Temperature not a factor. Humidity a minimal/marginal factor. My
advice stands.

I hope it's not an oak door or that glass is history. :-)

Not if you use stainless glass...

HAH! Oak rust will dissolve stainless glass just as easily.

That's how the glass got frosted.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)