Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Duh! Why didn't I do this years ago?

I super-glued a short length of plastic tubing to the toggle switch on
the shop vac.
Now, I can hit it on and off with the shopvac nozzle or anything else in
my hands.

The little red toggle switch was tucked down into a molded recess...
surely meant to protect it from stuff. Well, I'd rather be able to get
to it easily. Now I can. The tubing it strong enough to turn it on and
off, but weak enough to bend and not break the switch if it gets hit too
hard.

Stuff like this is such a "duh!" moment.
Anyone have any duh moments to share.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 1, 11:23*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
I super-glued a short length of plastic tubing to the toggle switch on
the shop vac.
Now, I can hit it on and off with the shopvac nozzle or anything else in
my hands.

The little red toggle switch was tucked down into a molded recess...
surely meant to protect it from stuff. *Well, I'd rather be able to get
to it easily. *Now I can. *The tubing it strong enough to turn it on and
off, but weak enough to bend and not break the switch if it gets hit too
hard.

Stuff like this is such a "duh!" moment.
Anyone have any duh moments to share.

Another one is gluing some clear plastic triangular pieces over idiot
lights so you can see them from a wider angle. I don't know if it
qualifies as a duh! moment so much as an ah!

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

Stuff like this is such a "duh!" moment.
Anyone have any duh moments to share.

What are you - freakin' crazy? S'pposed to keep that stuff secret.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 1, 11:23*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
[schnipfered]

Sorry, Mike.... I have NO idea why you didn't do that years ago.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
I super-glued a short length of plastic tubing to the toggle switch on the
shop vac.
Now, I can hit it on and off with the shopvac nozzle or anything else in
my hands.

The little red toggle switch was tucked down into a molded recess...
surely meant to protect it from stuff. Well, I'd rather be able to get
to it easily. Now I can. The tubing it strong enough to turn it on and
off, but weak enough to bend and not break the switch if it gets hit too
hard.

Stuff like this is such a "duh!" moment.
Anyone have any duh moments to share.

Wait till you discover remote control. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/02/10 9:33 AM, Leon wrote:
wrote in message
I super-glued a short length of plastic tubing to the toggle switch on the
shop vac.
Now, I can hit it on and off with the shopvac nozzle or anything else in
my hands.

The little red toggle switch was tucked down into a molded recess...
surely meant to protect it from stuff. Well, I'd rather be able to get
to it easily. Now I can. The tubing it strong enough to turn it on and
off, but weak enough to bend and not break the switch if it gets hit too
hard.

Stuff like this is such a "duh!" moment.
Anyone have any duh moments to share.

Wait till you discover remote control. ;~)

And they work the TV too, never have to get up from the couch again.
:-)

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 2, 10:58*am, FrozenNorth
wrote:
On 11/02/10 9:33 AM, Leon wrote:

*wrote in message
I super-glued a short length of plastic tubing to the toggle switch on the
shop vac.
Now, I can hit it on and off with the shopvac nozzle or anything else in
my hands.

The little red toggle switch was tucked down into a molded recess...
surely meant to protect it from stuff. *Well, I'd rather be able to get
to it easily. *Now I can. *The tubing it strong enough to turn it on and
off, but weak enough to bend and not break the switch if it gets hit too
hard.

Stuff like this is such a "duh!" moment.
Anyone have any duh moments to share.

Wait till you discover remote control. *;~)

And they work the TV too, never have to get up from the couch again.
:-)

--
Froz...

In fact, I bought a HarmonyOne combined remote. What a sweet piece
that is.
You connect via USB to your puter, go to their website and plug in the
model numbers of your DVDBR, AVReceiver, Screen, VCR, Cable/Sat box
and it sets the whole mess up for you...look ma, no hands.
Now, I get to hold just one remote and am no longer burdened by the
searching and carrying of multiple remotes.... a remote for remotes,
so to speak.
Works like a charm. (Backlit keys too)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/2/10 7:20 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 1, 11:23 pm, wrote:
[schnipfered]

Sorry, Mike.... I have NO idea why you didn't do that years ago.

cough!smartass!cough!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/2/10 8:33 AM, Leon wrote:

Wait till you discover remote control. ;~)

I'm sorry, what now? :-)

Actually, a remote is still another button to push. I have a foot
switch, now.
Next step will be one of those current sensors that turns on/off
automatically.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11/02/10 11:54 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Nov 2, 10:58 am,
wrote:
On 11/02/10 9:33 AM, Leon wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I've had one of those for several years, love it.
I used to have about six remotes on the ottoman, now I have room for my
feet.

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote the following:
On 11/2/10 8:33 AM, Leon wrote:

Wait till you discover remote control. ;~)

I'm sorry, what now? :-)

Actually, a remote is still another button to push. I have a foot
switch, now.
Next step will be one of those current sensors that turns on/off
automatically.

Better yet, a voice command remote. "Turn on TV", "Channel 32", "Volume
down", Turn off".

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 2, 1:20*pm, willshak wrote:
-MIKE- wrote the following: On 11/2/10 8:33 AM, Leon wrote:

Wait till you discover remote control. *;~)

I'm sorry, what now? * *:-)

Actually, a remote is still another button to push. *I have a foot
switch, now.
Next step will be one of those current sensors that turns on/off
automatically.

Better yet, a voice command remote. "Turn on TV", "Channel 32", "Volume
down", Turn off".

I have a breath-activated tube to control the TV, like Stephen Hawking
uses to guide his wheelchair, and I sit in a La-Z-Bowl Extreme with
built in refrigerator, massager and composting toilet.

You're all a bunch of lazy ****s. ~

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 13:20:03 -0400, willshak
wrote:

-MIKE- wrote the following:
On 11/2/10 8:33 AM, Leon wrote:

Wait till you discover remote control. ;~)

I'm sorry, what now? :-)

Actually, a remote is still another button to push. I have a foot
switch, now.
Next step will be one of those current sensors that turns on/off
automatically.

Better yet, a voice command remote. "Turn on TV", "Channel 32", "Volume
down", Turn off".

Proper TV automation should consist of one command only, "Turn OFF."

--
Experience is a good teacher, but she send in terrific bills.
-- Minna Thomas Antrim
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In fact, I bought a HarmonyOne combined remote. What a sweet piece that
is.

I bought one of those, except it was the big Harmony 1000 table top model.
Aren't they great? Downloading all the codes for a particular piece of
equipment is a breeze. Wish they'd been available thirty years ago. Would
have cost a fortune back then though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
I super-glued a short length of plastic tubing to the toggle switch on the
shop vac.
Now, I can hit it on and off with the shopvac nozzle or anything else in
my hands.

The little red toggle switch was tucked down into a molded recess...
surely meant to protect it from stuff. Well, I'd rather be able to get
to it easily. Now I can. The tubing it strong enough to turn it on and
off, but weak enough to bend and not break the switch if it gets hit too
hard.

Stuff like this is such a "duh!" moment.
Anyone have any duh moments to share.

Wait till you discover remote control. ;~)

Speaking of remote control....

I made a remote control for my dust collector (which has magnetic starters)
from an old garage door power head. I put a momentary micro switch next to
the screw mechanism so when the screw winds up the trigger for the limit
switches, the added switch closes a parallel circuit in the holding power
for the contacts. I take the remote with me, or clip it to a pocket or tool
belt, and turn off the suction and back on at my needs.

Poorly worded, but I hope you all get the idea. One of the best things I
ever did for the shop.
--
Jim in NC

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

-MIKE- wrote the following:
On 11/2/10 8:33 AM, Leon wrote:

Wait till you discover remote control. ;~)

I'm sorry, what now? :-)

Actually, a remote is still another button to push. I have a foot
switch, now.
Next step will be one of those current sensors that turns on/off
automatically.

Better yet, a voice command remote. "Turn on TV", "Channel 32", "Volume
down", Turn off".

Proper TV automation should consist of one command only, "Turn OFF."

I've seen those - a small (fits in your pocket) remote control that only
knows how to turn a TV off, but it knows the codes for *lots* of TVs. Handy
in all kinds of places - makes life much more pleasant.

--
Al Dunstan, Software Engineer
OptiMetrics, Inc.

"There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make
it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way
is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies."
- C. A. R. Hoare
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

-MIKE- wrote the following:
On 11/2/10 8:33 AM, Leon wrote:

Wait till you discover remote control. ;~)

I'm sorry, what now? :-)

Actually, a remote is still another button to push. I have a foot
switch, now.
Next step will be one of those current sensors that turns on/off
automatically.

Better yet, a voice command remote. "Turn on TV", "Channel 32", "Volume
down", Turn off".

Proper TV automation should consist of one command only, "Turn OFF."

I've seen those - a small (fits in your pocket) remote control that only
knows how to turn a TV off, but it knows the codes for *lots* of TVs. Handy
in all kinds of places - makes life much more pleasant.

Indeed. I'd like one which works for 10 miles or so, just shut down a
town as you drive through. Riots in the sports bars, wot?

--
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
-- J. K. Rowling

Why Didn't I Buy This Years Ago!? J. Clarke Woodworking 2 August 2nd 10 05:35 PM
30 years ago.... Adam Aglionby UK diy 50 January 18th 10 10:22 PM
What Will the USA Look Like in 1, 2, 5 and 10 Years? Curly Surmudgeon[_2_] Metalworking 1 April 30th 09 03:59 AM
Gas not used for 2 years twinkle twinkle UK diy 31 December 26th 07 01:31 PM