Steve Blake

Default 3D Software

I am looking for some software that will output a 3D image of your designs.
It would be nice to get a 2x4 out of the library and build your project and
see what it will look like in 3D. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks for you time.

Newbe
Steve

Morris Dovey

Steve Blake wrote:

I am looking for some software that will output a 3D image of
your designs. It would be nice to get a 2x4 out of the library
and build your project and see what it will look like in 3D.
Does anyone have any suggestions.

Steve...

I'm using DesignCAD and it can handle 3D designs. The rendering
isn't bad; but a shaded parallelepipedon with hidden lines
removed just doesn't look like a 2x4 to me - although I'm not
sure that it's just not my lack of imagination. (~:

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

SwampBug

Have you played with "Textures" yet. I am building doubledoor entry for the
storage area under the stairs. I went to a wood site with jpg's of various
species of wood and downloaded some for use as 'textures', I wanted to see
how they would look with flat and quartesawn red oak. . .very interesting
results. I am using DesignCad 3D Max Plus ver 14. I use it mostly for it's
Modeling capabilities.

--
SwampBug
- - - - - - - - - - - -

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Steve Blake wrote:

I am looking for some software that will output a 3D image of
your designs. It would be nice to get a 2x4 out of the library
and build your project and see what it will look like in 3D.
Does anyone have any suggestions.

Steve...

I'm using DesignCAD and it can handle 3D designs. The rendering
isn't bad; but a shaded parallelepipedon with hidden lines
removed just doesn't look like a 2x4 to me - although I'm not
sure that it's just not my lack of imagination. (~:

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Doug Winterburn

On Wed, 05 May 2004 12:44:40 +0000, Steve Blake wrote:

I am looking for some software that will output a 3D image of your
designs. It would be nice to get a 2x4 out of the library and build your
project and see what it will look like in 3D. Does anyone have any
suggestions.

http://www.blender3d.org/

-Doug

--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw

Larry Jaques

On Wed, 05 May 2004 21:31:22 -0400, Danny Boy brought
forth from the murky depths:

On Wed, 5 May 2004 23:14:32 +0100, "dNOfSPAMn"
wrote:

How about "Solid" from
http://www.cabinetvision.com/

"Steve Blake" wrote in message
.. .
I am looking for some software that will output a 3D image of your

designs.

Check out "Solid Edge". You can download a workable demo, and the
tutorials are superb.

One of the metalheads just posted http://www.sketchup.com/
yesterday and I watched some of their tutorials. Out-Freakin'-
Standing! T'aint cheap, but it's light years ahead of any
CAD program I've seen without years of training needed.
Free 30-day trial of a $475 program which definitely looks
worth the price.

-- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --
http://diversify.com Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases

Henry Morgan

wrote:

How about "Solid" from
http://www.cabinetvision.com/

"Steve Blake" wrote in message
. ..
I am looking for some software that will output a 3D image of your
designs.

Check out "Solid Edge". You can download a workable demo, and the
tutorials are superb.

One of the metalheads just posted http://www.sketchup.com/
yesterday and I watched some of their tutorials. Out-Freakin'-
Standing! T'aint cheap, but it's light years ahead of any
CAD program I've seen without years of training needed.
Free 30-day trial of a $475 program which definitely looks
worth the price.

-- This post conscientiously crafted from 100% Recycled Pixels --
http://diversify.com Websites: PHP Programming, MySQL databases

Or you could hang out in certain Warez groups and download a cracked
copy of Solid Edge, or AutoCAD, or...... Not that I would advocate
piracy, you understand.

J. Clarke

Steve-Blake wrote:

Thanks for the help. I'll be looking into it.

FWIW, there's an AutoCAD clone called "IntelliCAD" that works pretty well.
For a while it was free (Microsoft bought the company that produced it in
order to get another product, didn't want to be in the CAD business, and
instead of killing it spun it off to an industry consortium--one of the few
really decent things Microsoft has done IMO--which was giving it away for a
while but is now charging for it). Basic version can be had for about 50
bucks, all up with solids modelling and the like is about 180. Get an
AutoCAD 2000 book in order to learn to use it.

Also, if you enroll in one of the online courses at the CAD Institute
http://www.cadinstitute.com/ you qualify for academic pricing on AutoCAD
2005--the course and software will cost you about $700 total and it's not
time-bombed.

That is of course if you want AutoCAD, which is in some ways kind of
primitive, a victim of its own success--they can't change it too much or
they'll lose their one major competitive advantage which is the huge base
of trained users. Personally I prefer Ashlar-Vellum Cobalt but it's three
grand and no discounts that I can find unless you're a full-time student.

By the way, you don't need "years of training" to use AutoCAD. Draftsmen
get a lot of training but that's not because of the software--you can learn
that by dinking around, or if you want to get a good handle on it then get
one of the various books that's out there and run through the exercises.

wrote:

[...]

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Morris Dovey

Morris Dovey wrote:

SwampBug wrote:

CNC Router. . .whoa!!! Play with the wood jpg's, it can get
interesting. s

When I have time, perhaps. I just posted a sample (bowsaw) of what I'm
talking about on news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking - the CNC isn't
a bad toolmaking tool. [~:

I had some extra time this afternoon; so fed the DXF to the CNC
controller. Total tool time was 34 seconds (photo posted to
ABPW). Now I guess I'll have to finish it so it can hang on the
wall )-:

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA