Posted to rec.woodworking

Default grr-ripper opinions

Saw the grr-ripper plastic pusher / holder at a show. Lee valley also has
it.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...240,45884&ap=1

Opinions?
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , says...

Saw the grr-ripper plastic pusher / holder at a show. Lee valley also has
it.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...240,45884&ap=1

Opinions?

There was a thread on it recently--if you look for it on Google Groups
you should find it.

Bottom line is that it works nicely, does what they say it does, in
principle you can make a workalike without much trouble, in practice
making a workalike is more effort than it's worth unless you're just
doing it for the exercise.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/20/2010 7:48 PM, Four Fingers wrote:
Saw the grr-ripper plastic pusher / holder at a show. Lee valley also has
it.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...240,45884&ap=1

Opinions?

Buy two.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Four Fingers" wrote in message
Saw the grr-ripper plastic pusher / holder at a show. Lee valley
also has
it.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...240,45884&ap=1

Opinions?

The reviews on Amazon glow. Other information--including manuals--are
available on www.microjig.com,
the manufacturer. eBay offers the best prices, including the pairs
that appear to be optimal. Not cheap but
what does your first bloodletting cost?

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Four Fingers" wrote in message
Saw the grr-ripper plastic pusher / holder at a show. Lee valley also has
it.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...240,45884&ap=1

Opinions?

Not a solution looking for a problem, these things are great and as others
have said, get a pair. They come with a jack leg that will support the
gripper when cutting narrow stock. This prevents the pusher from tilting.
It is handy to have one ready with the jack leg adjustment when you are in a
ripping production mode and you stock is narrower than the gripper.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in
:

"Four Fingers" wrote in message
Saw the grr-ripper plastic pusher / holder at a show. Lee valley also
has it.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...,240,45884&ap=
1

Opinions?

Not a solution looking for a problem, these things are great and as
others have said, get a pair. They come with a jack leg that will
support the gripper when cutting narrow stock. This prevents the
pusher from tilting. It is handy to have one ready with the jack leg
adjustment when you are in a ripping production mode and you stock is
narrower than the gripper.

As the others have said "get two". I was lucky enough to find two at a
garage sale for a great price, but I was planning on getting a pair
anyway. They work every bit as well as advertised.

Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Four Fingers" wrote in message
Saw the grr-ripper plastic pusher / holder at a show. Lee valley
also has
it.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...240,45884&ap=1

Opinions?

FF:

Check that www.microjig.com website.

Microjig also offers two
accessories besides the MJ handle: an attachment that allows cutting
stock
thin as 1/8" and a transparent plate for deflecting chips and,
apparently, for
connecting two grippers side-by-side on wide stock.

A lot of folk using this report they are able to do away with the
featherboard
or at least adjust it--in certain applications--to apply less tension
on the
workpiece, reducing pinching of the workpiece and kickback.

It would be nice if the system was not spendy but as you imply 4
fingers on each
hand is good. By the way, in Spanish, all the digits are "dedos"
(fingers), so your
handle would lose a bit of the ambiguity if you're ever translating.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 00:48:00 GMT, Four Fingers wrote:

Saw the grr-ripper plastic pusher / holder at a show. Lee valley also has
it.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...240,45884&ap=1

Opinions?

I guess my opinion is somewhere in between the rest. My opinion is
this is a good safety accessory for a pretty high price.

You can make suitable safety accessories yourself for little cost and
some time, or you can purchase them. Your choice. If you decide to
purchase, the Grr-ripper is the best I've seen.

I made my own before the Grr-ripper became available, and I am
satisfied I am operating safely. If I had to choose today, I'd do the
same, thinking my time is hobby time and making my own is worth it
because I enjoy doing it.

Others feel their time is more valuably spent on more "productive"
work. Which I believe is reasonable point of view as well. Just not
for me.

Infinity Ripper Blade Tom[_36_] Woodworking 0 September 28th 10 08:08 PM
Iggy... video ripper Lloyd E. Sponenburgh[_3_] Metalworking 1 August 15th 07 08:05 PM
GRR-Ripper Jimmy Woodworking 0 November 8th 05 04:23 PM
GRR-Ripper System BobS Woodworking 23 October 1st 05 08:50 PM
"Grr-Ripper" Frank & Renee Woodworking 17 April 11th 05 08:14 PM