Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Foam brushes

I have had this baggie with a few foam brushes in my drawer for a couple
of years. I can't recall why I bought them, if in fact I did.
I was finishing the backs of some drawer fronts and I thought the
squareness of the foam brush would leave a nice clean line.
I dipped it in Polyshades Minwax. and watched as the foam turned into a
blob and saw it fall off the handle/stick onto my workbench.
I said: "my goodness, I didn't expect to be inconvenienced in this
fashion."
..
..
..
..
..
I now have some proper ones which do not dissolve in that ultra toxic
volatile...poly? (That stuff wouldn't put a rash on a baby's bottom, for
cryin' out loud.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/5/2010 5:39 PM, Robatoy wrote:
I have had this baggie with a few foam brushes in my drawer for a couple
of years. I can't recall why I bought them, if in fact I did.
I was finishing the backs of some drawer fronts and I thought the
squareness of the foam brush would leave a nice clean line.
I dipped it in Polyshades Minwax. and watched as the foam turned into a
blob and saw it fall off the handle/stick onto my workbench.
I said: "my goodness, I didn't expect to be inconvenienced in this
fashion."

Yeah, that's exactly what you said. :-) I've said the same thing myself many
times!

I now have some proper ones which do not dissolve in that ultra toxic
volatile...poly? (That stuff wouldn't put a rash on a baby's bottom, for
cryin' out loud.)

Well hey, you didn't say what you did with the self-destructing brushes. Did
you keep them "just in case"? If it were me I'd be tempted to find out if they
also dissolve after they've been ****ed on.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 5, 9:28*pm, Steve Turner
wrote:
[...]

LOL.... I'm not that curious.
I tossed them. But for $ 2.00 for a six-pack with 3 sizes, I'll stick
to the ones I bought.
Back to my Purdy's for the fronts of my doors etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
I have had this baggie with a few foam brushes in my drawer for a couple
of years. I can't recall why I bought them, if in fact I did.
I was finishing the backs of some drawer fronts and I thought the
squareness of the foam brush would leave a nice clean line.
I dipped it in Polyshades Minwax. and watched as the foam turned into a
blob and saw it fall off the handle/stick onto my workbench.
I said: "my goodness, I didn't expect to be inconvenienced in this
fashion."
.
.
.
.
.
I now have some proper ones which do not dissolve in that ultra toxic
volatile...poly? (That stuff wouldn't put a rash on a baby's bottom, for
cryin' out loud.)

Those were CHEAP foam brushes. Wooster makes foam brushes that do very well
in oil and water based varnishes. I can very often clean the foam brush
with thinner and re use it several times. These brushes typically have a
plastic handle and ferrule.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 5, 6:39*pm, Robatoy wrote:
I have had this baggie with a few foam brushes in my drawer for a couple
of years. I can't recall why I bought them, if in fact I did.
I was finishing the backs of some drawer fronts and I thought the
squareness of the foam brush would leave a nice clean line.
I dipped it in Polyshades Minwax. and watched as the foam turned into a
blob and saw it fall off the handle/stick onto my workbench.
I said: "my goodness, I didn't expect to be inconvenienced in this
fashion."
.
.
.
.
.
I now have some proper ones which do not dissolve in that ultra toxic
volatile...poly? (That stuff wouldn't put a rash on a baby's bottom, for
cryin' out loud.)

Geez, I use mine for water poly all the time and I have great luck
with them. I thought they were actually meant for oil poly and the
likes. the ones I buy say not to use in shellac, but if you don't
dilly-dally they work OK.

RP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 18:39:12 -0400, Robatoy
wrote:

I have had this baggie with a few foam brushes in my drawer for a couple
of years. I can't recall why I bought them, if in fact I did.
I was finishing the backs of some drawer fronts and I thought the
squareness of the foam brush would leave a nice clean line.
I dipped it in Polyshades Minwax. and watched as the foam turned into a
blob and saw it fall off the handle/stick onto my workbench.
I said: "my goodness, I didn't expect to be inconvenienced in this
fashion."
.
.
.
.
.
I now have some proper ones which do not dissolve in that ultra toxic
volatile...poly? (That stuff wouldn't put a rash on a baby's bottom, for
cryin' out loud.)

So foam brushes made from corn like the biodegradable peanuts that
melt away in water.

Mark
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Sortakinda like pouring lacquer thinner into a styrofoam cup.

Posted to rec.woodworking

* *wrote:

So foam brushes made from corn like the biodegradable peanuts that
melt away in water.

Mark

Sortakinda like pouring lacquer thinner into a styrofoam cup.

What cup?

Dunno....was here a second ago....

Foam - 2 pound blue foam on Holmes on Homes george [dicegeorge] UK diy 10 December 28th 09 06:26 PM
SDS Drill brushes GMM UK diy 3 November 3rd 08 02:57 PM
Foam Brushes Kitep Home Repair 9 July 6th 07 02:26 AM
Gutter Brushes HLS Home Repair 10 January 8th 06 07:50 PM
Carpet Pad: Memory foam versus non-memory foam? [email protected] Home Repair 2 December 7th 05 04:15 AM