Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default SDS Drill brushes

I bought a cheapo (McKeller) SDS drill about a year ago. I haven't
used it very often but, when I have, it's been incredibly useful
(makes chases and cutting holes for electrical boxes a breeze).
Yesterday it stopped working (stuttering and sparking). It came with
a spare pair of brushes - changed them and it was fine.
Now - the question is, where can I get some more? If I can't, then its
days are numbered and (shock horror) I might be forced to go and buy a
good one. I got it when a branch of Focus was closing down, so no
point in going back there (!) and I somehow doubt that another branch
would carry them. Googling mostly brings up wire brushes for drills,
rather than carbon brushes: I thought I might find 'carbon brushes
are us.co.uk' but no such luck...
Does anyone know of a good source?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
s.com, GMM scribeth thus
I bought a cheapo (

*McKeller)

SDS drill about a year ago. I haven't
used it very often but, when I have, it's been incredibly useful
(makes chases and cutting holes for electrical boxes a breeze).
Yesterday it stopped working (stuttering and sparking). It came with
a spare pair of brushes - changed them and it was fine.
Now - the question is, where can I get some more? If I can't, then its
days are numbered and (shock horror) I might be forced to go and buy a
good one. I got it when a branch of Focus was closing down, so no
point in going back there (!) and I somehow doubt that another branch
would carry them. Googling mostly brings up wire brushes for drills,
rather than carbon brushes: I thought I might find 'carbon brushes
are us.co.uk' but no such luck...
Does anyone know of a good source?

Yes.. Now that you've seen what an excellent and versatile tool an SDS
drill is dump that old thing and go and invest in something like a
Makita)...

FWIW the Two items I bought with *that brand name on lasted less than a
year;(....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Nov, 00:11, GMM wrote:
I bought a cheapo (McKeller) SDS drill about a year ago. I haven't
used it very often but, when I have, it's been incredibly useful
(makes chases and cutting holes for electrical boxes a breeze).
Yesterday it stopped working (stuttering and sparking). It came with
a spare pair of brushes - changed them and it was fine.
Now - the question is, where can I get some more? If I can't, then its
days are numbered and (shock horror) I might be forced to go and buy a
good one. I got it when a branch of Focus was closing down, so no
point in going back there (!) and I somehow doubt that another branch
would carry them. Googling mostly brings up wire brushes for drills,
rather than carbon brushes: I thought I might find 'carbon brushes
are us.co.uk' but no such luck...
Does anyone know of a good source?

Brushes are fairly standard design. You can file them down to fit the
slots they slide in. Keep the old ones / measure the replacement ones
before use. Search on google for "carbon brushes" (include the
quotes). If you can find a local spares place, take the spare ones you
have along and they should have something similar. I filed down some
old brushes to make replacements for a no-name drill and it worked
fine.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Well, after including the quotes and finding some sources, I'm
wondering whether the cost of them (haven't found the 'right' ones,
but comparable sets look like they'd be a tenner or so) could possibly
be justified for a POS like that - I wonder if I can convince SWMBO
that the Makita is a sound investment?.....