Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Panel raising bit: Update

I tried using spacers in front of the fence and doing multiple passes
with my 3 1/4" panel raising bit in my shaper. The cutting was so
clean and easy during testing I tried just powering through a full
depth cut in a single pass (Pine). I ended up cutting all 24 panels
this way and felt totally safe.

The only issue was a slight bit of fuzzing on the cross cut with the
sharp edge at the face of the panel and a slight brush with some 100
sandpaper cleaned it up easy.

I suppose holding off 1/8" on the first pass and doing a clean up pass
would have mayde for a little smoother surface but for this rustic
project it was more than smooth enough.
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
I tried using spacers in front of the fence and doing multiple passes
with my 3 1/4" panel raising bit in my shaper. The cutting was so
clean and easy during testing I tried just powering through a full
depth cut in a single pass (Pine). I ended up cutting all 24 panels
this way and felt totally safe.

The only issue was a slight bit of fuzzing on the cross cut with the
sharp edge at the face of the panel and a slight brush with some 100
sandpaper cleaned it up easy.

I suppose holding off 1/8" on the first pass and doing a clean up pass
would have mayde for a little smoother surface but for this rustic
project it was more than smooth enough.

That's the advantage of the shaper vis a vis the router -- power and
mass. If the cutters are good quality and sharp, you'll be amazed at
the cleanliness of the cuts you get in moderately hard woods like walnut
and soft maple.

Oak cuts easily enough (particularly white) but may want to chip out a
little more; cherry is, of course, notorious for burning but even there
a good cutting speed can hog a lot of material. There's where a little
experimentation and a power feeder shows its mettle for sure.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
I tried using spacers in front of the fence and doing multiple passes
with my 3 1/4" panel raising bit in my shaper. The cutting was so
clean and easy during testing I tried just powering through a full
depth cut in a single pass (Pine). I ended up cutting all 24 panels
this way and felt totally safe.

The only issue was a slight bit of fuzzing on the cross cut with the
sharp edge at the face of the panel and a slight brush with some 100
sandpaper cleaned it up easy.

I suppose holding off 1/8" on the first pass and doing a clean up pass
would have mayde for a little smoother surface but for this rustic
project it was more than smooth enough.

Thanks for that idea. I never would of thought of that. WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

If the material had been say hickory or hard maple rather than pine,
would you have approached the task differently?

Lew

It cut so easy I think I would just us some 1/8" hardboard as a spacer
on the fence for the first pass and do a second to clean it up for
hardwoods.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 22:08:44 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"
wrote:

If the material had been say hickory or hard maple rather than pine,
would you have approached the task differently?

Lew

It cut so easy I think I would just us some 1/8" hardboard as a spacer
on the fence for the first pass and do a second to clean it up for
hardwoods.

I haven't used a panel-raising bit, yet. What about a 1/8" hardboard spacer
on the table?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

If the material had been say hickory or hard maple rather than pine,
would you have approached the task differently?

Lew

It cut so easy I think I would just us some 1/8" hardboard as a spacer
on the fence for the first pass and do a second to clean it up for
hardwoods.

I haven't used a panel-raising bit, yet. What about a 1/8" hardboard
spacer
on the table?

It has a back cutter, soooo you have to go horizonally into the bit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 20:55:45 -0500, "Leon" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

If the material had been say hickory or hard maple rather than pine,
would you have approached the task differently?

Lew

It cut so easy I think I would just us some 1/8" hardboard as a spacer
on the fence for the first pass and do a second to clean it up for
hardwoods.

I haven't used a panel-raising bit, yet. What about a 1/8" hardboard
spacer
on the table?

It has a back cutter, soooo you have to go horizonally into the bit.

Why, yes it would rather mess things up. ;-) Sorry, I forgot that part (I
remember now that it was mentioned).

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 20:55:45 -0500, "Leon" wrote:

. ..
wrote:

If the material had been say hickory or hard maple rather than pine,
would you have approached the task differently?

Lew

It cut so easy I think I would just us some 1/8" hardboard as a spacer
on the fence for the first pass and do a second to clean it up for
hardwoods.

I haven't used a panel-raising bit, yet. What about a 1/8" hardboard
spacer
on the table?

It has a back cutter, soooo you have to go horizonally into the bit.

Why, yes it would rather mess things up. ;-) Sorry, I forgot that part
(I
remember now that it was mentioned).

Yeah I missed it the first time too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I haven't used a panel-raising bit, yet. *What about a 1/8"
hardboard spacer
on the table?

As others mentioned I had a back cutter for this op but the idea would
be exactly that, get the bit setup exactly as I want it and then add
1/8 hardboard to the fence(s) for the first pass during production.