Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Question about using big panel raising bit

I am going to be spinning a horizontial panel raising bit (with a back
cutter) in my shaper with a router collet. It is part of a door set
and is 3 1/4" across. It has three wings, the safety type with
infilled sections between the cutters, In the past I always cut rustic
type raised panels on the TS with a standing jig, used flat panels or
just purchased doors premade.

I am cutting pine panels and they are actually not glue-ups but wide
3/4" boards, a bunch of em.

I plan to do the panels in two passes.

I'll setup the fence so it is aligned with the bearing. Then before I
run the first pass I'll attach some 1/8" ply to the face of the fence.
Then I'll run all 4 sides of all panels cutting the raised profile
almost complete depth. Then I'll remove the ply and run all the panels
back through, trimming of the last 1/8" for a clean finish.

Do you think I can hog out that much on the first pass? I'm thinking
maybe make my daughter try to push through the first piece while I
stand across the shop, ready to call 911.