Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Woodturning Skew Chisel Question

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:37:13 -0500, sam wrote:

Uphill or downhill?

Thanks,

Downhill, in most cases, round off the edges of the blade so they don't hang up
on any nicks in the tool rest..

Oval skews rule..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:37:13 -0500, sam wrote:

Uphill or downhill?

Thanks,

Downhill, in most cases, round off the edges of the blade so they don't
hang up
on any nicks in the tool rest..

File and sand the tool rest.

Oval skews rule..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ralph E Lindberg" wrote in message
In article ,
mac davis wrote:

..

Oval skews rule..

On the other hand, Alan Lacer opinion on Oval skews....evil grin

http://www.alanlacer.com/headstock/i...groundskew.jpg

http://www.alanlacer.com/headstock/i...orovalskew.jpg

LOL!!

ABC = Anchor, Bevel, Cut

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 05:30:20 -0700, Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

..

Oval skews rule..

On the other hand, Alan Lacer opinion on Oval skews....evil grin

If you were Lancer you could use a 9 iron...

http://www.alanlacer.com/headstock/i...groundskew.jpg

http://www.alanlacer.com/headstock/i...orovalskew.jpg

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:01:32 -0500, sam wrote:

I try to lightly grind my chisel and spindle gouges, but I keep getting a burr. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Hard to say without knowing your sharpening equipment and technique..

Most turners produce a small burr when sharpening and just go with it..
I'm starting to home my gouges more now.. tapered round diamond hone does it in
about 3 passes and can also be renewed a bit with the same hone..

On scrapers, you use the burr to cut with..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 05:30:20 -0700, Ralph E Lindberg
wrote:

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

..

Oval skews rule..

On the other hand, Alan Lacer opinion on Oval skews....evil grin

If you were Lancer you could use a 9 iron...

If he were a Lancer, he'd have a long stick with a pointy end and would not
need a 9 iron. )

OTOH, I've turned some teensie stuff with a big nail.