DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Woodturning Skew Chisel Question (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/307156-re-woodturning-skew-chisel-question.html)

mac davis[_5_] July 28th 10 07:24 AM

Woodturning Skew Chisel Question

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:37:13 -0500, sam wrote:

Uphill or downhill?

Thanks,

Downhill, in most cases, round off the edges of the blade so they don't hang up
on any nicks in the tool rest..

Oval skews rule..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Lobby Dosser[_3_] July 28th 10 08:53 AM

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:37:13 -0500, sam wrote:

Uphill or downhill?

Thanks,

Downhill, in most cases, round off the edges of the blade so they don't
hang up
on any nicks in the tool rest..

File and sand the tool rest.

sam[_9_] July 28th 10 07:01 PM

Woodturning Skew Chisel Question

In article ,
says...

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:37:13 -0500, sam wrote:

Uphill or downhill?

Thanks,

Downhill, in most cases, round off the edges of the blade so they don't hang up
on any nicks in the tool rest..

Oval skews rule..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

I try to lightly grind my chisel and spindle gouges, but I
keep getting a burr. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lobby Dosser[_3_] July 29th 10 05:34 AM

Woodturning Skew Chisel Question

"Ralph E Lindberg" wrote in message
In article ,
mac davis wrote:

..

Oval skews rule..

On the other hand, Alan Lacer opinion on Oval skews....evil grin

http://www.alanlacer.com/headstock/i...groundskew.jpg

http://www.alanlacer.com/headstock/i...orovalskew.jpg

LOL!!

ABC = Anchor, Bevel, Cut

Lobby Dosser[_3_] July 29th 10 05:36 AM

Woodturning Skew Chisel Question

"sam" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:37:13 -0500, sam wrote:

Uphill or downhill?

Thanks,

Downhill, in most cases, round off the edges of the blade so they don't
hang up
on any nicks in the tool rest..

Oval skews rule..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

I try to lightly grind my chisel and spindle gouges, but I
keep getting a burr. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Take a stone to the burr. Or not. The burr will be gone after the first
rotation.

mac davis[_5_] July 29th 10 07:10 AM

Woodturning Skew Chisel Question

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 05:30:20 -0700, Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

..

Oval skews rule..

On the other hand, Alan Lacer opinion on Oval skews....evil grin

If you were Lancer you could use a 9 iron...

mac davis[_5_] July 29th 10 07:14 AM

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 13:01:32 -0500, sam wrote:

I try to lightly grind my chisel and spindle gouges, but I keep getting a burr. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Hard to say without knowing your sharpening equipment and technique..

Most turners produce a small burr when sharpening and just go with it..
I'm starting to home my gouges more now.. tapered round diamond hone does it in
about 3 passes and can also be renewed a bit with the same hone..

On scrapers, you use the burr to cut with..

Lobby Dosser[_3_] July 29th 10 07:17 AM

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 05:30:20 -0700, Ralph E Lindberg
wrote:

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

..

Oval skews rule..

On the other hand, Alan Lacer opinion on Oval skews....evil grin

If you were Lancer you could use a 9 iron...

If he were a Lancer, he'd have a long stick with a pointy end and would not
need a 9 iron. :o)

OTOH, I've turned some teensie stuff with a big nail.