Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Neat stuff

I've been taking a wood working class at a local community college.

Learning some very neat stuff including lots of uses for double sided
1/4" Melamine.

Can be used as protective pads during glue-ups.

Add some double back tape and you have temporary zero clearance backer
blocks for all kind of table saw sleds as well as router fence
applications.

Due to low cost, there is an incentive to look for more applications
as well as discarding used pieces frequently.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
I've been taking a wood working class at a local community college.

Learning some very neat stuff including lots of uses for double sided 1/4"
Melamine.

Any clues on where to find? How does it compare to UHMW?

Can be used as protective pads during glue-ups.

Add some double back tape and you have temporary zero clearance backer
blocks for all kind of table saw sleds as well as router fence
applications.

Due to low cost, there is an incentive to look for more applications as
well as discarding used pieces frequently.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lobby Dosser" wrote:

And similar uses in your example.

No way am I going to waste UHMWPE On clamp pads or backer boards for
jigs/fences.

Compared to UHMWPE, 1/4" double sided melamine is dirt cheap by
comparison.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 24, 3:53*am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
*"Lobby Dosser" wrote:

And similar uses in your example.

No way am I going to waste UHMWPE On clamp pads or backer boards for
jigs/fences.

Compared to UHMWPE, 1/4" double sided melamine is dirt cheap by
comparison.

They sell UHWMPE tape. It's great for making things side, is cheap
enough, and easily replaceable. I use it on fences, sliding door
track (not the store-bought stuff), etc.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 19:41:23 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote the following:

I've been taking a wood working class at a local community college.

Learning some very neat stuff including lots of uses for double sided
1/4" Melamine.

Does not compute. What is the melamine double-sided with?

--
Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels,
throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions,
with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote the following:

I've been taking a wood working class at a local community college.

Learning some very neat stuff including lots of uses for double sided
1/4" Melamine.

Does not compute. What is the melamine double-sided with?

It's a plywood/melamine sandwich. The melamine is the bread. I previously
wasn't aware it was made in 1/4". If you DAGS, you'll find a lot of uses. I
wonder if it is 1/4" or really 7mm.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote the following:

I've been taking a wood working class at a local community college.

Learning some very neat stuff including lots of uses for double sided
1/4" Melamine.

Does not compute. *What is the melamine double-sided with? *

It's a plywood/melamine sandwich. The melamine is the bread. I previously
wasn't aware it was made in 1/4". If you DAGS, you'll find a lot of uses. I
wonder if it is 1/4" or really 7mm.

That was my thought as well. It's a double whammy with Imperial
measuring - odd divisions and the material isn't that dimension
anyway! I wonder how much of my life I've wasted messing around
compensating for the nominal/actual dimension difference. Next
life...I'm not doing it.

Neat metalworking RBnDFW Metalworking 7 January 10th 10 05:05 AM
Neat Wiring TheOldFellow UK diy 25 August 18th 09 04:59 PM
Neat little laser Don Foreman Metalworking 11 December 30th 05 05:17 AM
Neat product Tony Mo Woodworking 12 October 21st 04 11:42 PM
A really neat test!!! Pete & sheri Metalworking 18 March 10th 04 08:49 PM