Posted to rec.woodworking
cc cc is offline

Default warped cedar gate

Final stages of completing my gate (thanks for the help along the way
guys). Turns out I have one corner that has warped during the
construction, ie. it is high compared to the remaining face. Currenty
finished in 2 coats of pigmented deck stain.

Anyway to flatten without impacting finish and rest of gate?

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

Anyway to flatten without impacting finish and rest of gate?

Chris

I can't exactly envision how it is warped but it may be possible to
add a permanent cable brace diagionally with a turnbuckel to pull it
into flat.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 17, 6:22*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
Anyway to flatten without impacting finish and rest of gate?

Chris

I can't exactly envision how it is warped but it may be possible to
add a permanent cable brace diagionally with a turnbuckel to pull it
into flat.

Right there with you.

Hey, how deep does the latch post need to be in albuquerque when
surrounded by some of the hardest things I've ever dug through?
--
Uno
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 18:13:03 -0700 (PDT), frank
wrote the following:

On Jul 17, 6:22*pm, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:
Anyway to flatten without impacting finish and rest of gate?

Chris

I can't exactly envision how it is warped but it may be possible to
add a permanent cable brace diagionally with a turnbuckel to pull it
into flat.

Right there with you.

I think he meant warped face, as in the gate, if placed "flat" on the
ground, had a high corner.

Hey, how deep does the latch post need to be in albuquerque when
surrounded by some of the hardest things I've ever dug through?

30-36", with cement. And do not disturb areas outside the basic hole.
I'm told that even caliche still gets loose when wet. (mud)

--
Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels,
throws off redundancies, and helps nature in those secret distributions,
with cheerfulness. -- Joseph Addison, The Spectator, July 12, 1711
Posted to rec.woodworking

"cc" wrote

Final stages of completing my gate (thanks for the help along the way
guys). Turns out I have one corner that has warped during the
construction, ie. it is high compared to the remaining face. Currenty
finished in 2 coats of pigmented deck stain.

Anyway to flatten without impacting finish and rest of gate?

Not much hope I guess, but consider aligning the gate posts to match?

Jeff

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

Posted to rec.woodworking

cc wrote:
Final stages of completing my gate (thanks for the help along the way
guys). Turns out I have one corner that has warped during the
construction, ie. it is high compared to the remaining face. Currenty
finished in 2 coats of pigmented deck stain.

Anyway to flatten without impacting finish and rest of gate?

Yep, un-dried wood does that.

The only fix I've ever had success with is to replace the picket with
another (that hopefully won't warp when it dries).

As an aside, store your fence pickets - with adequate ventilation - for a
month or more in the garage and return to your supplier those that have
warped.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Anyway to flatten without impacting finish and rest of gate?

Chris

I can't exactly envision how it is warped but it may be possible to
add a permanent cable brace diagionally with a turnbuckel to pull it
into flat.

Been there done that, that will tpyically bow the gate especially if there
needs to be much tension to square the set up.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"cc" wrote in message
Final stages of completing my gate (thanks for the help along the way
guys). Turns out I have one corner that has warped during the
construction, ie. it is high compared to the remaining face. Currenty
finished in 2 coats of pigmented deck stain.

Anyway to flatten without impacting finish and rest of gate?

Chris

Have you seen my comment to use a gate kit to use steel angle irons to hold
the 2x4 frame and then add the pickets after the gate frame is swinging on
the post?

Cedar Hope Chests 100% Cedar liukaiyuan Woodworking 0 June 12th 08 09:36 AM
Spanish Cedar vs. Royal Cedar? Jay Pique Woodworking 1 December 18th 06 04:26 PM
Cedar Gate arachnaman Woodworking 5 October 14th 06 04:14 PM
Cedar Post vs Cedar Boards Ken Woodworking 2 June 20th 06 04:14 AM
Outdoor Cedar Gate -- what type of joinery? David Henkemeyer Woodworking 4 October 4th 03 08:49 PM