Posted to rec.woodworking
Uno Uno is offline

Default latch hardware

I'm refinishing an exterior front gate with a steel latch mechanism.
The gate is pretty massive, and when it hits the back side of the latch,
it bounces out of the groove that would otherwise make it closed.

Does anyone have an idea how to absorb some of that energy and have the
latch fall into the groove properly? (I wish I had a picture.)

I was thinking I might grind the top part down and add rubber where it
strikes the latch.

Fishing for tips,
--
Uno
Posted to rec.woodworking

Fishing for tips,
--
Uno

Just a brainstorm type idea but maybe a spring or foam rubber or
something in the gap where the hinges close to slow it down during
the last 5 to 10 degrees of closing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sounds like your latch check mechanism isn't working well. The ones I have
played with it seemed that the gate momentum forced the latch capture
mechanism in and this pivoted the top and it forced to hook over the latch
pin, capturing it until lifted again.

Either this one is a different style, the pivot is sticking, or the latch
isn't lining up with the catcher's mitt.

"Uno" wrote in message
I'm refinishing an exterior front gate with a steel latch mechanism.
The gate is pretty massive, and when it hits the back side of the latch,
it bounces out of the groove that would otherwise make it closed.

Does anyone have an idea how to absorb some of that energy and have the
latch fall into the groove properly? (I wish I had a picture.)

I was thinking I might grind the top part down and add rubber where it
strikes the latch.

Fishing for tips,
--
Uno

Posted to rec.woodworking

Uno wrote:
I'm refinishing an exterior front gate with a steel latch mechanism. The
gate is pretty massive, and when it hits the back side of the latch, it
bounces out of the groove that would otherwise make it closed.

Does anyone have an idea how to absorb some of that energy and have the
latch fall into the groove properly? (I wish I had a picture.)

I was thinking I might grind the top part down and add rubber where it
strikes the latch.

Fishing for tips,

Would one of the old fashioned screen door catches work?

http://www.bicwarehouse.com/screen-d...filiate&aff=cj

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
Uno wrote:
I'm refinishing an exterior front gate with a steel latch
mechanism. The gate is pretty massive, and when it hits the
back side of the latch, it bounces out of the groove that would
otherwise make it closed.

Does anyone have an idea how to absorb some of that energy and
have the latch fall into the groove properly? (I wish I had a
picture.)

I recall an old sceen door addition that might be the same thing.
It was a rubber ball on a short rod. As a screen door swung shut,
the centrifugal force would flip the ball out into the door's
edge, cushioning the slam. When it rebounded and swung shut
again, there'd be less force and gravity would hold the ball out
of the closure.

Nonny

I was thinking I might grind the top part down and add rubber
where it strikes the latch.

Fishing for tips,

Would one of the old fashioned screen door catches work?

http://www.bicwarehouse.com/screen-d...filiate&aff=cj

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA