Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof bof is offline

Default gate latch

Can anyone recommend a gate latch for a 6' high gate that will self
latch reliably and is operable from both sides?

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You want a Suffolk gate latch http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/159638&bklist=

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bof bof is offline

In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
bof wrote:
Can anyone recommend a gate latch for a 6' high gate that will self
latch reliably and is operable from both sides?

You want a Suffolk gate latch http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/159638&bklist=

Thanks, but (a similar version of) that's there ATM, and it doesn't
latch reliably, leading to BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG and
me walking out in the ****ing rain and wind to latch the gate for the
seventh time today.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bof wrote:

Can anyone recommend a gate latch for a 6' high gate that will self
latch reliably and is operable from both sides?

I have installed ring handle latches and the key seems to be in the
relative height of the piece on the frame. It has to be lower than you
think, relative to the bar on the gate. By the bye, my preference is
always for galvnised, as the black japanned finish rusts in a very short
time

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dg dg is offline

bof wrote:
In message , The
Medway Handyman writes
bof wrote:
Can anyone recommend a gate latch for a 6' high gate that will self
latch reliably and is operable from both sides?

You want a Suffolk gate latch http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/159638&bklist=

Thanks, but (a similar version of) that's there ATM, and it doesn't
latch reliably, leading to BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG and
me walking out in the ****ing rain and wind to latch the gate for the
seventh time today.

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk

Then you need to fit a spring self closing device (literally a spring
which compresses when you open the gate and expands to close it) or
some rising butt type hinges.

Alternatively, angle the existing hinges so that the weith of the gate
causes it to self close. But this wont work against wind.

Also try filing the catch so that the latch does not jump out of it so
easily.

dg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Malcolm Race" wrote in message
bof wrote:

Can anyone recommend a gate latch for a 6' high gate that will self latch
reliably and is operable from both sides?

I have installed ring handle latches and the key seems to be in the
relative height of the piece on the frame. It has to be lower than you
think, relative to the bar on the gate. By the bye, my preference is
always for galvnised, as the black japanned finish rusts in a very short
time

Malcolm

Try:

http://www.hardwaresource.com/Store_...l3.asp?Cat=616

As a paper lad I used to like those "C" shaped spring loaded things that
pushed to one side as the gate was opened and snapped back when closed.

Rusting - a wipe with an oily cloth a couple of times a year works
wonders.

John

gate spring Cuprager UK diy 21 August 30th 06 10:45 PM
Gate Latch Indicator [email protected] Home Repair 10 February 1st 06 02:24 PM
Building a fence and large gate Darren Woodworking 9 June 30th 05 05:40 PM
d-i-y sliding steel double gate T i m UK diy 20 April 29th 04 03:11 PM
Need some ideas for a gate Jon Ward Metalworking 20 March 25th 04 11:33 AM