Posted to rec.woodworking
Josepi[_9_] Josepi[_9_] is offline

Default latch hardware

Sounds like your latch check mechanism isn't working well. The ones I have
played with it seemed that the gate momentum forced the latch capture
mechanism in and this pivoted the top and it forced to hook over the latch
pin, capturing it until lifted again.

Either this one is a different style, the pivot is sticking, or the latch
isn't lining up with the catcher's mitt.

"Uno" wrote in message
I'm refinishing an exterior front gate with a steel latch mechanism.
The gate is pretty massive, and when it hits the back side of the latch,
it bounces out of the groove that would otherwise make it closed.

Does anyone have an idea how to absorb some of that energy and have the
latch fall into the groove properly? (I wish I had a picture.)

I was thinking I might grind the top part down and add rubber where it
strikes the latch.

Fishing for tips,
--
Uno