Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Southern Yellow Pine - Tanning

Hey:

I've been working on a construction project recently that
features a lot of exposed framing and using southern yellow
pine. Now, for the structural framing elements I've been
using regular kiln dried stock and the exterior planking and
battens are made from pressure-treated material. One of the
concerns that I had was keeping non-pressure treated material
from being a stark contrast in color from the pressure-treated
stuff...

Because I'm working the project on nights and weekends, some
of my framing had the opportunity to bake in the 100 degree
weather and bright sunlight that we've seen over the past
couple of weeks. Wonder of wonders, the yellow pine has gone
from a stark white to a gold color that borders on oiled
oak. Anyone tried this before on furniture grade yellow pine?

Walt

Posted to rec.woodworking

Next the splitting and warping will start and pine does it well.

Sometimes I think it is still alive.

Get it protected from UV.

"Walt Akers" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/2/2010 9:03 AM, Walt Akers wrote:
Hey:

I've been working on a construction project recently that
features a lot of exposed framing and using southern yellow
pine. Now, for the structural framing elements I've been
using regular kiln dried stock and the exterior planking and
battens are made from pressure-treated material. One of the
concerns that I had was keeping non-pressure treated material
from being a stark contrast in color from the pressure-treated
stuff...

Because I'm working the project on nights and weekends, some
of my framing had the opportunity to bake in the 100 degree
weather and bright sunlight that we've seen over the past
couple of weeks. Wonder of wonders, the yellow pine has gone
from a stark white to a gold color that borders on oiled
oak. Anyone tried this before on furniture grade yellow pine?

Hey Walt,

What you experienced is particularly noticeable with the micronized
copper treated "YellaWood" SYP from Great Southern Wood.

May be worth you seeking it out. Home Depot carries it here in Texas.

FWIW ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Blanket chest made from southern yellow pine.. - 3 attachments DCH[_2_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 13 May 20th 08 03:40 PM
Nails or screws to fasten fence of pressure treated (ACQ) southern yellow pine lumber [email protected] Home Repair 7 April 21st 06 07:47 PM
Nails or screws to fasten fence of pressure treated (ACQ) southern yellow pine lumber [email protected] Home Ownership 0 April 20th 06 02:23 PM
Old Heartwood Southern Yellow Pine Barry Woodworking 7 August 22nd 05 02:48 PM
Woodbench top - Southern yellow pine Mike LaViolette Woodworking 10 October 24th 04 12:56 AM