Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Recommendations for tap/die set

Now and then, I find that I could use a tap and die set.

I usually go without and figure something else out, but
decided perhaps I should go with one.

The local hardware store has Irwin brand. Small kit, both
metric and English are available. However, not sure if it's
worth the $60 or so.

Need a recommendation for a set. Like to keep it under $100 if
possible.

MJ
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
Now and then, I find that I could use a tap and die set.

I usually go without and figure something else out, but
decided perhaps I should go with one.

The local hardware store has Irwin brand. Small kit, both
metric and English are available. However, not sure if it's
worth the $60 or so.

Need a recommendation for a set. Like to keep it under $100 if
possible.

MJ

I'd suggest buying a small combination set from a reputable seller like
McMaster-Carr.

www.McMaster.com
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
wrote in message
Now and then, I find that I could use a tap and die set.

I usually go without and figure something else out, but
decided perhaps I should go with one.

The local hardware store has Irwin brand. Small kit, both
metric and English are available. However, not sure if it's
worth the $60 or so.

Need a recommendation for a set. Like to keep it under $100 if
possible.

MJ

I'd suggest buying a small combination set from a reputable seller
like McMaster-Carr.

www.McMaster.com

With no intended contradiction to Joe's recommendation, I bought an HF set
and for the amount that I need to call upon it (might be considered a medium
duty usage rate), it has not let me down. I don't think it would stand up
to a machinist's needs - in fact I know it would not, but then again most of
us are not machinists, and I know that my demands of this kind of tool are
far greater than that of most here. So - that's a possible maybe
statement...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
Joe AutoDrill wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Yep.
NC, NF, and NTP, 40-piece set: $19.99 #39424
Metric, 60-piece set: $23.99 #45766

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Joe AutoDrill wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I'll second the HF sets. I've had one for years and it hasn't let me
down once. I use them in wood, plastic, aluminum, brass, cast iron,
and mild steel. I've not broken a tap or die yet.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

For an absolute complete and top of the line set that can handle home
and/or industry needs, at least as here in an oil industry State (or
similar industry neighborhood), you might check the pawn shops, also.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 15:04:56 -0700, "Artemus"
wrote the following:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
.. .
Joe AutoDrill wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I'll 3rd that with both metric and SAE sets. I've broken only one tap,
and that was the devious 6-32 bastid. That was my fault as well as the
poorly designed 6-32 tap that had plagued mankind since its invention.
I simply didn't pay enough attention and didn't use any tapping fluid.
One turn too quickly and it became 2 pieces. Luckily, it was a cheap
and replaceable part so I didn't even have to attempt drilling it out.

OTOH, if I have something I truly can't afford to lose, I'll buy a
super quality tap and use it. Weigh the costs and go from there.

The cheap sets are great for most repairs, though. I use dies to clean
up buggered threads on irreplaceable bolts from errant hammer taps.

--
The most powerful factors in the world are clear ideas
in the minds of energetic men of good will.