Mark

Default Downdraft Table suggestions ?

I got a dual industrial blower unit given to me and I'm going to make a
downdraft sandign table with it.

I've been all over the FAQ, google, etc. and while I've found a few
insights but not really enough to get going with. I like this design:

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/p...wndraft_sandin
g_table.htm

But my blower is essentially TWO of what thay guy has and while I could
conceivably separate the 2 (they share a common shaft which I'd have to
cut and re-locate the end bearing), I'm thinking that more airflow is
better !

I think I need more filter area.

I've seem commercial kits that have filters all the way around, but my
kind of blower isn't conducive to such a design.

The only other idea I have is to build a carcass, put the blower in the
bottom and put a 'ceiling' of filters above it, covering the entire
inside area of the carcass, and then put the swiss-cheesed work surface
above that.

My concern with that is that it doesn't have the sloped surfaces that
other designs incorporate which seem to be there to equalize the airflow
at the edges.

Anyone care to share their thoughts ?

Thanks,

--
Mark
(remove the obvious to reply)

Tom

My concern with that is that it doesn't have the sloped surfaces that
other designs incorporate which seem to be there to equalize the airflow
at the edges.

Once you put something on the table, it'll increase the airflow around it, so I
don't see a problem there. More likely the sloping is to allow the dust to
"fall" into the blower intake. Sounds like a nice size blower. Make it as big
as you can. You can place sheets of sandpaper around the perimeter to increase
the airflow around the workpiece. mahalo! Tom
Someday, it'll all be over....
Gerald Ross

Mark wrote:

[...]

Mine has a double blower (motor between), vented downward in the bottom
of the table. Above that is a bag type filter from pen state. Above that
is a pleated AC filter then on top is a coarse filter to catch trash.
The top has 3/4" holes and is on hinges so I can open it up while using
other machines so that the air flow through the filters is faster. Keeps
a lot of dust from settling out all over the shop.

--

Gerald Ross, Cochran, GA
To reply add the numerals "13" before the "at"