Posted to rec.woodworking

Default working with teak

I am planning to build an entertainment center from either mahogany or teak.
I have read that teak is hard on your scraping type tools like a planer or a
jointer. I assume this is due to the sand in the teak. Has anyone in this
group made something from teak? If so, was the work hard on your scraping
tools? Teak would be my first choice but not if I have to sharpen my
scraping tools a few times during the project.

TIA.

Dick Snyder

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Dick Snyder" wrote:
I am planning to build an entertainment center from either mahogany or teak.
I have read that teak is hard on your scraping type tools like a planer or a
jointer. I assume this is due to the sand in the teak.

Not sand, per se, but silicate compounds.

Has anyone in this
group made something from teak?

Yes.

If so, was the work hard on your scraping
tools?

It's hard on *everything*. Plus, it's pretty oily, so it's usually recommended
to wipe the surfaces of joints with acetone before applying glue.

Teak would be my first choice but not if I have to sharpen my
scraping tools a few times during the project.

Teak is beautiful wood. So is mahogany.
IMHO, teak is a PITA to work with. Mahogany isn't. Quite the contrary IME.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article , "Dick Snyder"
wrote:
I am planning to build an entertainment center from either mahogany or
teak.
I have read that teak is hard on your scraping type tools like a planer or
jointer. I assume this is due to the sand in the teak.

Not sand, per se, but silicate compounds.

Any idea if carbide tooling deals with the silicate compounds appropriately
or if even carbide is affected by them?
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I am planning to build an entertainment center from either mahogany or teak.
I have read that teak is hard on your scraping type tools like a planer or a
jointer. I assume this is due to the sand in the teak.

Not sand, per se, but silicate compounds.

Any idea if carbide tooling deals with the silicate compounds appropriately
or if even carbide is affected by them?

Worst case, a carbide saw blade might need resharpening after running a lot of
teak.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Any idea if carbide tooling deals with the silicate compounds
appropriately
or if even carbide is affected by them?

Worst case, a carbide saw blade might need resharpening after running a
lot of
teak.

Interesting. I would have to presume the same thing applies to drilling
then.

Any other woods have this property to watch out for? Specifically, I'm
curious about Ipe (Eepay) and any of the other "rot resistant" woods used in
decking, truck floors, etc.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

either mahogany or teak.

Some of the finest furniture ever built was made of mahogany. Some of
the finest patio furniture ever built is made of teak.

Just my opinion but teak is way way down the beauty scale from
mahogany. I've never really considered it a nice material for
furniture but rather boat decks and deck chairs.

Again, all opinion.

Also, mahogany is a dream to work with.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SonomaProducts.com" writes:
either mahogany or teak.

Some of the finest furniture ever built was made of mahogany. Some of
the finest patio furniture ever built is made of teak.

Just my opinion but teak is way way down the beauty scale from
mahogany. I've never really considered it a nice material for
furniture but rather boat decks and deck chairs.

Again, all opinion.

Also, mahogany is a dream to work with.

And much less expensive than teak. I just picked up some
4/4 RGH mahogany 8" x 144" for less than USD6 BF (Jackel Hardwoods
in watsonville) !Not Luan, either; this is the good stuff.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

Most decking jobs with Ipe(several different woods) is mostly a
trip to the store for more drill bits and saw blades. I had a
contractor friend who built a rather large(1800 sqft) deck and
he told me that went through more than $300 in

The hardness is quite remarkable.

Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Any other woods have this property to watch out for? Specifically, I'm
curious about Ipe (Eepay) and any of the other "rot resistant" woods used in
decking, truck floors, etc.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

The various rose woods contain silicate compounds and are hard to saw
or turn. Some of the resin or shaving - might be hazardous to allergic reactions.

Marin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/