Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default working with teak

In article , "Dick Snyder" wrote:
I am planning to build an entertainment center from either mahogany or teak.
I have read that teak is hard on your scraping type tools like a planer or a
jointer. I assume this is due to the sand in the teak.

Not sand, per se, but silicate compounds.

Has anyone in this
group made something from teak?

Yes.

If so, was the work hard on your scraping
tools?

It's hard on *everything*. Plus, it's pretty oily, so it's usually recommended
to wipe the surfaces of joints with acetone before applying glue.

Teak would be my first choice but not if I have to sharpen my
scraping tools a few times during the project.

Teak is beautiful wood. So is mahogany.
IMHO, teak is a PITA to work with. Mahogany isn't. Quite the contrary IME.