DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Shop Wall and Electric (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/303987-shop-wall-electric.html)

-MIKE- June 11th 10 04:49 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

On 6/10/10 10:16 PM, Steve Turner wrote:
Yes, but lately (here in Texas at least) it's rather common to see signs
next to a regular green light that say "Protected left on green". The
first time I saw that I said "What the hell does THAT mean?!". I'll tell
you what it means: "We've decided to program the lights at this
intersection so that a regular green light REALLY means you have a green
arrow, but we're too damn cheap to install a REAL green arrow". Since
they've opened that stupid can of worms, they probably figure they'd
better cover their asses by explicitly saying "Left turn yields on
green" in case some litigious dumbass decides to assume "Protected left
on green" for an unadorned regular green light...

By the way, I saw a show about a European town that took down all
traffic signs in their city and the number of accidents dropped like a
rock.

In Europe, it's much more common to have cars, trucks, bicycles and
pedestrians in equal numbers, so they often have separate lanes and all
kinds of signage showing right of way and all the rest.

Apparently in one town, after the accident rate spiked, the mayor went
nuts and started putting up signs everywhere, for every little thing.
The accident rate tripled or some such ridiculous multiple.

In came a new mayor (or someone) who took ALL the signs down. Every one.
No stop signs, no speed limits, no yields, no traffic lights, nothing.
It was like the old west with asphalt.

Guess what happened? Well, I already told you. Not only did the accident
rate plummet, but people drove slower than they did when there were
speed limit signs. There were no accidents because people were forced to
pay attention to one another. Cars looked for bike, bikes looked for
pedestrians, etc, etc, etc.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Puckdropper[_2_] June 11th 10 04:58 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

-MIKE- wrote in -
september.org:

By the way, I saw a show about a European town that took down all
traffic signs in their city and the number of accidents dropped like a
rock.

I've read about something similar. I wonder if accident rates start going
back up after drivers and pedestrians get used to not having the signs.

One theory suggested was that drivers in unfamiliar situations will drive
more carefully, so what happens when the unusual becomes the norm?

Puckdropper

-MIKE- June 11th 10 05:02 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

On 6/10/10 10:58 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in -
september.org:

By the way, I saw a show about a European town that took down all
traffic signs in their city and the number of accidents dropped like a
rock.

I've read about something similar. I wonder if accident rates start going
back up after drivers and pedestrians get used to not having the signs.

Yeah, I remember thinking the same thing when I was watching the show.

One theory suggested was that drivers in unfamiliar situations will drive
more carefully,

Anyone who's driven behind a tourist can attest to that, right?

so what happens when the unusual becomes the norm?

Puckdropper

I'm anxious to see.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Jack Stein June 11th 10 01:46 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

-MIKE- wrote:
On 6/10/10 10:58 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in -
september.org:

By the way, I saw a show about a European town that took down all
traffic signs in their city and the number of accidents dropped like a
rock.

I've read about something similar. I wonder if accident rates start
going
back up after drivers and pedestrians get used to not having the signs.

Yeah, I remember thinking the same thing when I was watching the show.

One theory suggested was that drivers in unfamiliar situations will drive
more carefully,

Anyone who's driven behind a tourist can attest to that, right?

Thats not careful driving, thats being lost driving...

so what happens when the unusual becomes the norm?

I'm anxious to see.

What happens as far as speed goes is 90% of the drivers drive at the
speed they *feel* is safe. In my area, that is almost always about 10
mph faster than the posted limit. 5% will go the speed limit or less,
and 5% will go more than what most consider safe. The speed limit signs
are meaningless UNLESS it is a known speed trap, money making government
scheme. Signs mean almost nothing to drivers familiar with the roads.

There are two roads near me that the speed limit is a bit too high, and
90% of the drivers actually go under the speed limit, proof that the
signs are mostly ignored.

--
Jack
What one person receives without working for, another person must work

-MIKE- June 11th 10 05:00 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

On 6/11/10 7:46 AM, Jack Stein wrote:
There are two roads near me that the speed limit is a bit too high, and
90% of the drivers actually go under the speed limit, proof that the
signs are mostly ignored.

Same, here.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Andrew Barss June 12th 10 09:36 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

-MIKE- wrote:

: I would rather it said nothing. Why state the obvious... that's my point.
: The norm is that a left turn yields to oncoming traffic.
: The exception is having a green arrow that tell you things are
: different, now.

The other exception is that you're in Boston.

-- Andy Barss

Hoosierpopi July 6th 10 03:54 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

Dedicated 240VAC Circuits using 10GA is what I would suggest.

Not at all sure why you would run 120VAC outlets near the floor in a
shop unless you have a specific tool in mind.

Someone suggested a ceiling outlet. I have one every four feet or so
running two independantly switched circuits - one for my fans and the
other (using three and four-way switches) for the shop lighting. One
oulet on the lights circuit could be extended to the location of your
table or shelving where your battery charger (tv or radio) will sit.
This allows you to connect the chargers (drill, wireless phone, etc)
and shut them down when you leave the shop. The compressor might also
be on a switched circuit to prevent it from leaking down and
recharging at three AM.

If you have a bench up against a wall (I saw none in your pdf), the
idea of running outlets along the front edge is one I fully support
and have implemented using power strips run under the table and up
into the wall outlets.

120VAC outlets every 4 feet along the walls and six or eight inches
above the highest work surface makes lots of sense and, again, I have
implemented the approach in every shop I've built. For a little more
cash, you can gang two duplex outlets at each location "just in case."

I ran 8GA to the shop breaker box and breakers for each circuit.

GFCI can be done at the breaker box, but is not needed in dry location
and can be a pain if the GFCI pops at one end of the shop when you are
using something at the other. If you do get one, look for those with
an Indicator LED. You only want one for a circuit, the other outlets
"hang" off it.

FrozenNorth[_4_] July 6th 10 04:12 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

On 7/05/10 10:54 PM, Hoosierpopi wrote:
[...]

There is also the unwritten rule of putting outlets at about 50" above
the floor, so sheet goods will not block access to them.

--
Froz...

Josepi[_9_] July 6th 10 05:02 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

Also, in case you want to put your workbench in front of them.

Dr.Deb July 6th 10 05:04 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

You can run 10ga if you want, but regular romex works just as well. The up
side is that you do not have to buy any special wire. The white and black
are both hot and the bare wire is your neutral. I have my tablesaw, lathe
and welder wired that way and have had for quite some time.

Deb

Josepi[_9_] July 6th 10 05:05 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

OMG! Don't do that one! The bare wire should never be a current carrying
(neutral) wire.

What did you use for equipment case ground?

FrozenNorth[_4_] July 6th 10 05:08 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

On 7/06/10 12:04 AM, Dr.Deb wrote:

You can run 10ga if you want, but regular romex works just as well. The up
side is that you do not have to buy any special wire. The white and black
are both hot and the bare wire is your neutral. I have my tablesaw, lathe
and welder wired that way and have had for quite some time.

Deb

No inspections in your pat of town obviously, that is dangerous.

--
Froz...

Doug Miller July 6th 10 05:38 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

In article , FrozenNorth wrote:
On 7/06/10 12:04 AM, Dr.Deb wrote:

You can run 10ga if you want, but regular romex works just as well. The up
side is that you do not have to buy any special wire. The white and black
are both hot and the bare wire is your neutral. I have my tablesaw, lathe
and welder wired that way and have had for quite some time.

Deb

No inspections in your pat of town obviously, that is dangerous.

Oh?

Please explain, in detail, exactly what you imagine is dangerous.

Puckdropper[_2_] July 6th 10 05:43 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

FrozenNorth wrote in news:i0u6ve$9u8$1
@news.eternal-september.org:

There is also the unwritten rule of putting outlets at about 50" above
the floor, so sheet goods will not block access to them.

It's not a rule, but it's definitely written. It's one of my favorite
"DOs" when someone asks about outlet placement and the like. (I suggest
54" to be sure the whole box clears if the installer measured from the
top.)

Puckdropper

FrozenNorth[_4_] July 6th 10 05:53 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

On 7/06/10 12:38 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
In , wrote:
On 7/06/10 12:04 AM, Dr.Deb wrote:

You can run 10ga if you want, but regular romex works just as well. The up
side is that you do not have to buy any special wire. The white and black
are both hot and the bare wire is your neutral. I have my tablesaw, lathe
and welder wired that way and have had for quite some time.

Deb

No inspections in your pat of town obviously, that is dangerous.

Oh?

Please explain, in detail, exactly what you imagine is dangerous.

Bare neutral instead of ground.
No mention of proper tagging of the white as a hot.

For a pure 220V circuit it may be safe, but the bare is a ground, and
wrap red tape on the ends of the white so it is *really* obvious if
someone else ever opens that box.
--
Froz...

Bill[_37_] July 6th 10 06:59 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

HoosierPopi, I think I went with many of the suggestions you and other
provided me with a few months ago. The electrical boxes are in and
I spent about $400 on wire, circuit breakers, and accessories today!

Hoosierpopi wrote:
Dedicated 240VAC Circuits using 10GA is what I would suggest.

That's was I did. 3 on the bottom of the wall on the right.

See:
http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/Garage_with_Tools7.pdf

Not at all sure why you would run 120VAC outlets near the floor in a
shop unless you have a specific tool in mind.

I put one near the back door, and a light switch where one would expect
to find it.

120VAC outlets every 4 feet along the walls and six or eight inches
above the highest work surface makes lots of sense and, again, I have
implemented the approach in every shop I've built. For a little more
cash, you can gang two duplex outlets at each location "just in case."

See pdf above. I spent the cash! : )

I ran 8GA to the shop breaker box and breakers for each circuit.

I'm going to use 6-3 NM-B and a used a 60 amp breaker

GFCI can be done at the breaker box, but is not needed in dry location
and can be a pain if the GFCI pops at one end of the shop when you are
using something at the other. If you do get one, look for those with
an Indicator LED. You only want one for a circuit, the other outlets
"hang" off it.

I'm doing it at the breaker box.

Best,
Bill

Doug Miller July 6th 10 01:30 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

wrote:
On 7/06/10 12:04 AM, Dr.Deb wrote:

You can run 10ga if you want, but regular romex works just as well. The up
side is that you do not have to buy any special wire. The white and black
are both hot and the bare wire is your neutral. I have my tablesaw, lathe
and welder wired that way and have had for quite some time.

Deb

No inspections in your pat of town obviously, that is dangerous.

Oh?

Please explain, in detail, exactly what you imagine is dangerous.

Bare neutral instead of ground.

He's talking about a 240V circuit -- there is no neutral. He incorrectly
referred to ground as neutral, but it's still a ground, and it's perfectly OK
for it to be bare.

No mention of proper tagging of the white as a hot.

Technically, that's a Code violation, but it hardly qualifies as dangerous
IMHO.

For a pure 220V circuit it may be safe,

No. *Is* safe.

but the bare is a ground, and
wrap red tape on the ends of the white so it is *really* obvious if
someone else ever opens that box.

True.

[email protected] July 6th 10 01:48 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

On Jul 6, 7:30*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , FrozenNorth wrote:

No mention of proper tagging of the white as a hot.

Technically, that's a Code violation, but it hardly qualifies as dangerous
IMHO.

How is a 240V circuit supposed to be run? Do they make red/black/bare
12/2? I've always used a sharpie to paint the white, red.

Josepi[_9_] July 6th 10 01:55 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

Use the black and white for the two hot legs. The bare is not to be used for
a current carrying conductor...against the code(s) and DANGEROUS. In
addition to many other dnagers of this you would not have a case ground for
your electrical boxes and frames of equipment. Not a good idea and an
inspector would make you take it all out and kick your ass hard!

I would run a 12/3 or 10/3 cable to have a neutral in case I wanted to
install a device needing a neutral in a mind or usage change, later on. Then
you would have red and black for hots and white for neutral, bare for
ground.

wrote in message
How is a 240V circuit supposed to be run? Do they make red/black/bare
12/2? I've always used a sharpie to paint the white, red.

On Jul 6, 7:30 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , FrozenNorth
wrote:

No mention of proper tagging of the white as a hot.

Technically, that's a Code violation, but it hardly qualifies as dangerous
IMHO.

--
Have your accounts been removed by other's complaints?
Do you like to force your opinions on others?

Mike Marlow[_2_] July 6th 10 02:05 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

Dr.Deb wrote:

You can run 10ga if you want, but regular romex works just as well.
The up side is that you do not have to buy any special wire. The
white and black are both hot and the bare wire is your neutral. I
have my tablesaw, lathe and welder wired that way and have had for
quite some time.

10 ga comes in all wire types. I don't recall the OP or anyone else
suggesting not to use romex. Maybe I missed it though. You're close in
what you say above, except that the bare wire is not neutral - it is ground.
Bare can never be a current carrier. It can only be gound. If you are
running a neutral, it must be an insulated conductor.

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow[_2_] July 6th 10 02:08 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , FrozenNorth
wrote:
On 7/06/10 12:04 AM, Dr.Deb wrote:

You can run 10ga if you want, but regular romex works just as well.
The up side is that you do not have to buy any special wire. The
white and black are both hot and the bare wire is your neutral. I
have my tablesaw, lathe and welder wired that way and have had for
quite some time.

Deb

No inspections in your pat of town obviously, that is dangerous.

Oh?

Please explain, in detail, exactly what you imagine is dangerous.

Look again Doug - the recommendation was to use the bare ground as a neutral
current carrier. A mistake in wording perhaps, but as written it is a
violation of code and for good reason.

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow[_2_] July 6th 10 02:11 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

Doug Miller wrote:

He's talking about a 240V circuit -- there is no neutral. He
incorrectly
referred to ground as neutral, but it's still a ground, and it's
perfectly OK
for it to be bare.

Agreed on the incorrect usage of terms, but there sure can be a neutral in a
240v run - think appliances. Granted, that would be a 4 wire configuration
in a proper circuit, but in a forum where people ask questions based on a
lack of experience and knowledge, missteps like this are problematic.

--

-Mike-

Doug Miller July 6th 10 02:30 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

In article , " wrote:
On Jul 6, 7:30=A0am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , FrozenNorth frozen=

wrote:

No mention of proper tagging of the white as a hot.

Technically, that's a Code violation, but it hardly qualifies as dangerous
IMHO.

How is a 240V circuit supposed to be run? Do they make red/black/bare
12/2?

Not that I've ever seen.

I've always used a sharpie to paint the white, red.

Same here. Red or black.

Doug Miller July 6th 10 02:32 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

In article , "Mike Marlow" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , FrozenNorth
wrote:
On 7/06/10 12:04 AM, Dr.Deb wrote:

You can run 10ga if you want, but regular romex works just as well.
The up side is that you do not have to buy any special wire. The
white and black are both hot and the bare wire is your neutral. I
have my tablesaw, lathe and welder wired that way and have had for
quite some time.

Deb

No inspections in your pat of town obviously, that is dangerous.

Oh?

Please explain, in detail, exactly what you imagine is dangerous.

Look again Doug - the recommendation was to use the bare ground as a neutral
current carrier. A mistake in wording perhaps, but as written it is a
violation of code and for good reason.

You look again. He's talking about a 240V circuit, which does not have a
neutral. Yes, it's a mistake in wording, and yes, it's a violation to have a
bare neutral -- but the circuit he's talking about doesn't *have* a neutral.

Doug Miller July 6th 10 02:34 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

Doug Miller wrote:

He's talking about a 240V circuit -- there is no neutral. He
incorrectly
referred to ground as neutral, but it's still a ground, and it's
perfectly OK
for it to be bare.

Agreed on the incorrect usage of terms, but there sure can be a neutral in a
240v run - think appliances.

That's not a 240V circuit. That's a 240/120 circuit.

Granted, that would be a 4 wire configuration
in a proper circuit,

Exactly. Since it's not a 4-wire configuration, it's not that type of circuit.

but in a forum where people ask questions based on a
lack of experience and knowledge, missteps like this are problematic.

Agreed, and this discussion certainly helps to clarify the issues.

Mike Marlow[_2_] July 6th 10 03:04 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , FrozenNorth
wrote:
On 7/06/10 12:04 AM, Dr.Deb wrote:

[...]

Think beyond that Doug. 4 wire 240v circuits do use a neutral and in a
forum where many pariticipants don't really know or understand the nuances
of things like this, the use of terminology becomes a bit important. If you
fix it in someone's mind that the bare wire can be run as a neutral in a
240v circuit, the wrong stage is set for that person when they have to wire
in a 240v circuit that does require a neutral.

--

-Mike-

Doug Miller July 6th 10 03:24 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

In article , "Mike Marlow" wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In article , FrozenNorth
wrote:
On 7/06/10 12:04 AM, Dr.Deb wrote:

[...]

Well, OK, I'll concede that point.

FrozenNorth[_4_] July 6th 10 03:33 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

On 7/06/10 9:08 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In , FrozenNorth
wrote:
On 7/06/10 12:04 AM, Dr.Deb wrote:

You can run 10ga if you want, but regular romex works just as well.
The up side is that you do not have to buy any special wire. The
white and black are both hot and the bare wire is your neutral. I
have my tablesaw, lathe and welder wired that way and have had for
quite some time.

Deb

No inspections in your pat of town obviously, that is dangerous.

Oh?

Please explain, in detail, exactly what you imagine is dangerous.

Look again Doug - the recommendation was to use the bare ground as a neutral
current carrier. A mistake in wording perhaps, but as written it is a
violation of code and for good reason.

That is why I jumped on it.
Could be bad wording, could be a violation, but still *not* right.
And it is dangerous to the next person who unwittingly opens that
electrical box, it will not be entirely obvious what is going on.

--
Froz...

[email protected] July 6th 10 04:23 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

wrote:

No mention of proper tagging of the white as a hot.

Technically, that's a Code violation, but it hardly qualifies as dangerous
IMHO.

How is a 240V circuit supposed to be run? *Do they make red/black/bare
12/2?

Not that I've ever seen.

I've always used a sharpie to paint the white, red.

Same here. Red or black.

Oh, I musta misunderstood you incorrectly above, when you said that
"tagging of the white as hot" was a code violation. I considered
painting the insulation as "tagging".

Josepi[_9_] July 6th 10 04:23 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

This is typical for potshot Doug. Part of the Little Miss Tisn't act.

He told another guy that 120v shocks won't really hurt you. Dangerous act.

Josepi[_9_] July 6th 10 04:26 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

That may pass in the USA but not in the Canadian electrical code.

Wire markings must be continuous down the whole length of the conductor.
That was brought in a few versions ago. White is acceptable for a live line
though. Happens on most 120v circuits with a switched light anyway.

[email protected] July 6th 10 04:27 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

On Jul 6, 7:55*am, "Josepi" wrote:
Use the black and white for the two hot legs. The bare is not to be used for
a current carrying conductor...against the code(s) and DANGEROUS. In
addition to many other dnagers of this you would not have a case ground for
your electrical boxes and frames of equipment. Not a good idea and an
inspector would make you take it all out and kick your ass hard!

....and this has exactly what to do with anything I've said?

I would run a 12/3 or 10/3 cable to have a neutral in case I wanted to
install a device needing a neutral in a mind or usage change, later on. Then
you would have red and black for hots and white for neutral, bare for
ground.

How many tools do you know that need a neutral? I suppose there are
some with 120V lights, but there is a significant cost difference
between /2 and /3 cable.

Doug Miller July 6th 10 05:32 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

In article , " wrote:
On Jul 6, 8:30=A0am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article .=

com, " wrote:

On Jul 6, 7:30=3DA0am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , FrozenNorth fro=

zen=3D
wrote:

No mention of proper tagging of the white as a hot.

Technically, that's a Code violation, but it hardly qualifies as dangerous
IMHO.

How is a 240V circuit supposed to be run? Do they make red/black/bare
12/2?

Not that I've ever seen.

I've always used a sharpie to paint the white, red.

Same here. Red or black.

Oh, I musta misunderstood you incorrectly above, when you said that
"tagging of the white as hot" was a code violation. I considered
painting the insulation as "tagging".

Sorry, that was unclear. I meant that *failure* to mark the white as hot is a
Code violation.

Josepi[_9_] July 6th 10 05:47 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

Apparently I misthreaded on the last one.

While we are giving out advise to run way too much copper everywhere for an
under 15 amp woodworking shop in a garage...

Running the 3 conductor now would be cheaper than opening the walls to run
it later because he wants a 120v dust collector or a block heater for his
car in that corner.

[email protected] July 6th 10 11:26 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 12:47:27 -0400, "Josepi" wrote:

Apparently I misthreaded on the last one.

While we are giving out advise to run way too much copper everywhere for an
under 15 amp woodworking shop in a garage...

I musta missed that thread. Who in their right mind would plan on running an
entire shop on 15A? Who would use a 15A circuit for anything other than
lighting?

Running the 3 conductor now would be cheaper than opening the walls to run
it later because he wants a 120v dust collector or a block heater for his
car in that corner.

Just make sure there are plenty of *20A* circuits around. Last I checked 12/3
was about 2x the cost of 12/2. Nope, not buying it.

RonB[_2_] July 11th 10 12:58 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

Comments or suggestions welcome. In fact, all I seek is a simple nod.
Thank you again to those of you who helped me to reach this point (of
understanding)!

Dear Bill:

566 (excuse me 567) posts.

Have your reached a point of understanding yet?

Does anyone else have the patience to click back to this original post
to see what the topic was?

Ron

Bill[_37_] July 11th 10 01:31 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

RonB wrote:
Comments or suggestions welcome. In fact, all I seek is a simple nod.
Thank you again to those of you who helped me to reach this point (of
understanding)!

Dear Bill:

566 (excuse me 567) posts.

Have your reached a point of understanding yet?

Understanding is almost as much a journey as a destination, no?
Ron, I'm having a great journey, did you see my recent snapshots
(http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/) ? How about yourself?

Bill

Bill[_37_] July 11th 10 01:38 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

RonB wrote:
Comments or suggestions welcome. In fact, all I seek is a simple nod.
Thank you again to those of you who helped me to reach this point (of
understanding)!

Dear Bill:

566 (excuse me 567) posts.

Have your reached a point of understanding yet?

Does anyone else have the patience to click back to this original post
to see what the topic was?

Ron

I believe I actually started the thread originally and then restarted it
a few months later. I think the main question you should ask yourself
is: Did you learn anything or were you just counting?

Bill