DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Shop Wall and Electric (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/303987-shop-wall-electric.html)

Mike Marlow[_2_] July 14th 10 09:16 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 03:38:11 -0400, Bill wrote the
following:

I've been thinking and reading about finishing my project.
Having one of those "homemade stucco" finishes on the ceiling, made
out of joint compound, I left about 4 inches of drywall at the top
of one wall and about 18 inches at the top of another when I removed
it.

This leaves me facing almost wall-length "butt joints". I presume
that with some patience (layering) and appropriate drywall compounds
I can make it look decent. Please tell me if you would suggest
approaching it any differently, in particular, by removing the
wallboard to the ceiling. My intuition tells me to stick with my
original plan (the butt joints), but I think this is a good time to
ask.

Drywall is tapered at the edges to give you a smooth finish when 2
pieces are butted together. Either crush the edges of cut drywall (to
give you that taper) or use fresh rock where possible. At $5 a sheet
vs a whole lot of hassle, new rock is cheaper, IMHO.

Grab a copy of this book. It has helped me improve my taping and
mudding techniques immensely. http://fwd4.me/Wvp

The tops and bottoms of rock are not tapered as the sides are. The advice
to recess them is good advice, but the notion of the finished edge only
applies to the long sides.

--

-Mike-

Robatoy[_2_] July 14th 10 09:42 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

On Jul 14, 4:16*pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Hence using the stuff horizontally whenever possible.

Mike Marlow[_2_] July 14th 10 10:11 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

Robatoy wrote:

Hence using the stuff horizontally whenever possible.

That does not eliminate the butt joint issue. It only moves it.

--

-Mike-

Robatoy[_2_] July 14th 10 10:58 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

On Jul 14, 5:11*pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
Hence using the stuff horizontally whenever possible.

That does not eliminate the butt joint issue. *It only moves it.

--

-Mike-

But you get to use 12' sheets.

Robatoy[_2_] July 14th 10 11:25 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

On Jul 14, 5:58*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Jul 14, 5:11*pm, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Robatoy wrote:
Hence using the stuff horizontally whenever possible.

That does not eliminate the butt joint issue. *It only moves it.

--

-Mike-

But you get to use 12' sheets.

Or 16'...and the odd 20'

J. Clarke July 14th 10 11:55 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

On 7/14/2010 2:29 PM, Bill wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In , "Mike
wrote:

I'd leave it as it is Bill. You can finish the butt joints in the normal
way, and you don't have to worry about affecting the finish at or
near the
textured ceiling. A less than perfect butt joint that is 4" from the
ceiling isn't going to be all that visible.

Besides which, it's in the garage, not the living room. :-)

(Definition) Garage:
1. a building or indoor area for parking or storing motor vehicles.
2. a commercial establishment for repairing and servicing motor vehicles.

I don't have one of those! : )

3. A large room in a house with a door 8 or more feet wide.

Mike Marlow[_2_] July 15th 10 12:17 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

Robatoy wrote:

But you get to use 12' sheets.

Oh yeah - they are fun to move around, aren't they? Sometimes a blessing,
sometimes a curse...

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow[_2_] July 15th 10 12:17 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

Robatoy wrote:

But you get to use 12' sheets.

Or 16'...and the odd 20'

Ouch and bigger ouch...

--

-Mike-

Josepi[_12_] July 15th 10 01:12 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

When I had my ceilings done I hired a pro drywaller. This guy lifted up 5/8"
x 4' x 12' sheets, on a scaffold (10' ceilings) and held them there, while
another started driving drywall screws.

I only do small drywall repairs now after seeing that display.

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
Oh yeah - they are fun to move around, aren't they? Sometimes a blessing,
sometimes a curse...

--

-Mike-

Robatoy wrote:

But you get to use 12' sheets.

[email protected] July 15th 10 01:32 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 18:55:35 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

On 7/14/2010 2:29 PM, Bill wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In , "Mike
wrote:

I'd leave it as it is Bill. You can finish the butt joints in the normal
way, and you don't have to worry about affecting the finish at or
near the
textured ceiling. A less than perfect butt joint that is 4" from the
ceiling isn't going to be all that visible.

Besides which, it's in the garage, not the living room. :-)

(Definition) Garage:
1. a building or indoor area for parking or storing motor vehicles.
2. a commercial establishment for repairing and servicing motor vehicles.

I don't have one of those! : )

3. A large room in a house with a door 8 or more feet wide.

4. the indoor area for storing tools, to keep them out of the rain.

FrozenNorth[_4_] July 15th 10 01:45 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

On 7/14/10 8:32 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 18:55:35 -0400, "J.
wrote:

On 7/14/2010 2:29 PM, Bill wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In , "Mike
wrote:

I'd leave it as it is Bill. You can finish the butt joints in the normal
way, and you don't have to worry about affecting the finish at or
near the
textured ceiling. A less than perfect butt joint that is 4" from the
ceiling isn't going to be all that visible.

Besides which, it's in the garage, not the living room. :-)

(Definition) Garage:
1. a building or indoor area for parking or storing motor vehicles.
2. a commercial establishment for repairing and servicing motor vehicles.

I don't have one of those! : )

3. A large room in a house with a door 8 or more feet wide.

4. the indoor area for storing tools, to keep them out of the rain.

aka a basement.

--
Froz...

Steve[_52_] July 15th 10 02:13 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

On 2010-07-14 03:38:11 -0400, Bill said:

of joint compound, I left about 4 inches of drywall at the top of one
wall and about 18 inches at the top of another when I removed it.

This leaves me facing almost wall-length "butt joints". I presume that
with some patience (layering) and appropriate drywall compounds I can
make it look decent. Please tell me if you would suggest approaching
it any differently, in particular, by removing the wallboard to the
ceiling. My intuition tells me to stick with my original plan (the
butt joints), but I think this is a good time to ask.

Having just done this project, I'd suggest leaving the strips at the
top of the wall That's one corner taping job -- wall-to-ceiling --
you'll not have to repeat.

Also, don't use the mesh tape on the horizontal wall joints. Paper tape
is a bit more reisistant to display hairline cracks down the center of
the joint.

[email protected] July 15th 10 02:48 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 20:45:30 -0400, FrozenNorth
wrote:

On 7/14/10 8:32 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 18:55:35 -0400, "J.
wrote:

On 7/14/2010 2:29 PM, Bill wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
In , "Mike
wrote:

I'd leave it as it is Bill. You can finish the butt joints in the normal
way, and you don't have to worry about affecting the finish at or
near the
textured ceiling. A less than perfect butt joint that is 4" from the
ceiling isn't going to be all that visible.

Besides which, it's in the garage, not the living room. :-)

(Definition) Garage:
1. a building or indoor area for parking or storing motor vehicles.
2. a commercial establishment for repairing and servicing motor vehicles.

I don't have one of those! : )

3. A large room in a house with a door 8 or more feet wide.

4. the indoor area for storing tools, to keep them out of the rain.

aka a basement.

Alas, such things are as rare as Cocobolo growing in Colorado, around here.
I'm in the process of building a shop in the attic, but that won't be
"livable" for at least another year.

Bill[_37_] July 15th 10 04:37 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

On 2010-07-14 03:38:11 -0400, Bill said:

of joint compound, I left about 4 inches of drywall at the top of one
wall and about 18 inches at the top of another when I removed it.

This leaves me facing almost wall-length "butt joints". I presume that
with some patience (layering) and appropriate drywall compounds I can
make it look decent. Please tell me if you would suggest approaching
it any differently, in particular, by removing the wallboard to the
ceiling. My intuition tells me to stick with my original plan (the
butt joints), but I think this is a good time to ask.

Having just done this project, I'd suggest leaving the strips at the top
of the wall That's one corner taping job -- wall-to-ceiling -- you'll
not have to repeat.

Yeah, I was thinking I didn't want to have to do that.

Also, don't use the mesh tape on the horizontal wall joints. Paper tape
is a bit more reisistant to display hairline cracks down the center of
the joint.

Glad to hear that. I already bought some paper tape, so I'm glad to
hear it's a good choice. As my drywall cutting is a bit irregular, I'm
sure I'll be making good use of the tape!

BTW, my Harbor Freight Rotary tool gave up the ghost today. It stopped
and started smoking. But I have to give the tool more credit than I was
going to when I first started with it--it and it's little cutting
attachments (that you have to buy separately) cut almost 100' of 1/2"
drywall. That was all I ever used the tool for and I'm going to replace
it (currently on sale for $17.99).

BTW, the Stanley 62-piece screw-bit set I mentioned a few days ago is on
sale for 5.49 (instead of 12.99) at Menards this Fri/Sat/Sun according
to the circular that arrived in the mail today.

Bill

[email protected] July 15th 10 02:01 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

On 2010-07-14 03:38:11 -0400, Bill said:

[...]

Huh? You're cutting drywall (100') with the rotary tool? Score,
break, and cut the paper. RotoZips are nice for cutting holes in
drywall but make a hell of a mess! A multi-tool would be a better
choice for most cuts (My RotoZip was useful in exposing a leaking pipe
recently, without causing more problems than it solved).

BTW, the Stanley 62-piece screw-bit set I mentioned a few days ago is on
sale for 5.49 (instead of 12.99) at Menards this Fri/Sat/Sun according
to the circular that arrived in the mail today.

Most of those sets aren't worth the aggravation.

Doug Miller July 15th 10 02:27 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

In article , " wrote:

Huh? You're cutting drywall (100') with the rotary tool? Score,
break, and cut the paper. RotoZips are nice for cutting holes in
drywall but make a hell of a mess! A multi-tool would be a better
choice for most cuts (My RotoZip was useful in exposing a leaking pipe
recently, without causing more problems than it solved).

I think you misunderstand, Keith. He's cutting drywall that's already on the
wall, so that he can remove it.

Larry Jaques[_2_] July 15th 10 03:34 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 23:37:23 -0400, Bill wrote the
following:

Steve wrote:
On 2010-07-14 03:38:11 -0400, Bill said:

[...]

Mine cut out a 3x3' square in under a minute with the semicircular saw
blade on it. Yours burned up in about ten minutes? Were you pushing
it? I let mine cut at its own speed (just like a handsaw) and each
works much better that way. That sounds like an awfully short
lifetime, though. I noted a whole lot of very fine dust (though not
nearly as much as a zip tool or drywall dagger) when I used mine on
drywall. Given a choice, I'd set up a fan or shop vac/DC suction to
remove most of it from the area while cutting. It would protect both
the tool and me, though I wear respirators with either organic vapor
or hepa dust filter cannisters on them when I do dusty work. (I look
like a Martian out mowing the lawn with muffs and respirator on, too,
but I prefer not getting all sniffly for several days due to
allergies.)

BTW, the Stanley 62-piece screw-bit set I mentioned a few days ago is on
sale for 5.49 (instead of 12.99) at Menards this Fri/Sat/Sun according
to the circular that arrived in the mail today.

Having purchased a few large assortment bit sets, it appears that
about 95% of the contents have gone entirely unused. But now that I
own one, I can replace most-used bits (like #2 square and #2 phillips)
in bulk more cheaply. The sets are usually not a good deal unless
they give you more of your most-used tips at a price less than you can
find them for individually. Your call.

--

EXPLETIVE: A balm, usually applied verbally in hindsight,
which somehow eases those pains and indignities following

[email protected] July 15th 10 04:01 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

On Jul 15, 8:27*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , " wrote:

Huh? *You're cutting drywall (100') with the rotary tool? *Score,
break, and cut the paper. *RotoZips are nice for cutting holes in
drywall but make a hell of a mess! *A multi-tool would be a better
choice for most cuts (My RotoZip was useful in exposing a leaking pipe
recently, without causing more problems than it solved).

I think you misunderstand, Keith. He's cutting drywall that's already on the
wall, so that he can remove it.

Oh, I misunderstood. That's even worse! Dust city! cough, sputter,
wheeze

Just pull the nails, slice the tape with a knife, and take it down in
pieces as large as possible. Then score, break, cut as normal to get
it into easily manageable pieces.

....unless he's planning on reusing it. ;-)

Josepi[_12_] July 15th 10 07:13 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

Just cut, yank pieces of drywall off, and then clean the screws up afterward
once you can see where they are. Nails may pull out but screws won't.

,

[email protected] July 15th 10 07:58 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

On Jul 15, 1:13*pm, "Josepi" wrote:
Just cut, yank pieces of drywall off, and then clean the screws up afterward
once you can see where they are. Nails may pull out but screws won't.

Screws are even easier. Hint: there is a switch on your cordless
drill.

The idea is to create as little mess as possible. Ripping down
sheetrock is easy. Cleaning up, not so much. Invest a little bit
more up-front and it makes the back end of the job *much* easier.

Bottom, or inline, posting makes things a lot easier, too.

Bill[_37_] July 15th 10 09:39 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

Larry Jaques wrote:

Mine cut out a 3x3' square in under a minute with the semicircular saw
blade on it. Yours burned up in about ten minutes? Were you pushing
it? I let mine cut at its own speed (just like a handsaw) and each
works much better that way. That sounds like an awfully short
lifetime, though. I noted a whole lot of very fine dust (though not
nearly as much as a zip tool or drywall dagger) when I used mine on
drywall. Given a choice, I'd set up a fan or shop vac/DC suction to
remove most of it from the area while cutting. It would protect both
the tool and me, though I wear respirators with either organic vapor
or hepa dust filter cannisters on them when I do dusty work. (I look
like a Martian out mowing the lawn with muffs and respirator on, too,
but I prefer not getting all sniffly for several days due to
allergies.)

Yeah, I do the martian thing too.

BTW, the Stanley 62-piece screw-bit set I mentioned a few days ago is on
sale for 5.49 (instead of 12.99) at Menards this Fri/Sat/Sun according
to the circular that arrived in the mail today.

Having purchased a few large assortment bit sets, it appears that
about 95% of the contents have gone entirely unused. But now that I
own one, I can replace most-used bits (like #2 square and #2 phillips)
in bulk more cheaply. The sets are usually not a good deal unless
they give you more of your most-used tips at a price less than you can
find them for individually. Your call.

I think that the set I mentioned about has about 6 #2 phillips, and 2
pairs of flatheads. I used a bit (not one of these) to screw in 36
2.5" wood screws yesterday in what seemed like 20 minutes. How do you
put a price on that! I seriously doubt I could have done it in a day by
hand. Only being a home-owner for 1 year, I'm new to using (power)
tools like this--but I'm impressed. I'd say the bit I mentioned above
did at least $75 worth of work already and saved me certain blisters.

Bill

[email protected] July 16th 10 12:35 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 07:34:52 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 23:37:23 -0400, Bill wrote the
following:

snip

BTW, the Stanley 62-piece screw-bit set I mentioned a few days ago is on
sale for 5.49 (instead of 12.99) at Menards this Fri/Sat/Sun according
to the circular that arrived in the mail today.

Having purchased a few large assortment bit sets, it appears that
about 95% of the contents have gone entirely unused. But now that I
own one, I can replace most-used bits (like #2 square and #2 phillips)
in bulk more cheaply. The sets are usually not a good deal unless
they give you more of your most-used tips at a price less than you can
find them for individually. Your call.

I have a few sets, too. I think they're all complete because I don't use
them. I have a box with a few copies of first quality common bits (#1, #2,
and #3 Phillips, #1 and #2 Square, and T15, T20, and T25) that I keep with my
12V Bosch drill and Impactor.

Bill[_37_] July 16th 10 03:52 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

Harbor Freight provided me with a new Rotary Tool today and I bought
some of their 1.5" cutting bits (the ones I had used previously were 1",
but were not sold separately). They still fit the 1/8" collar.

I cut about 7 or 8 inches of drywall and "flash/smoke & stop", just
like the first one. This unit didn't even get hot first, and didn't do
a lick of work before it died. The smell of plastic preceded each death.

If this had happened with the first unit I would have given up on the
tool completely, but the first one did a respectable amount of work
before it conked out. I finished trimming the existing drywall with a
box knife, and did just fine. I still think the rotary tool may be nice
to have for making the cutouts for the electrical boxes...if they have
another one which works.

Bill

Larry Jaques[_2_] July 17th 10 05:33 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 22:52:39 -0400, Bill wrote the
following:

Harbor Freight provided me with a new Rotary Tool today and I bought
some of their 1.5" cutting bits (the ones I had used previously were 1",
but were not sold separately). They still fit the 1/8" collar.

I cut about 7 or 8 inches of drywall and "flash/smoke & stop", just
like the first one. This unit didn't even get hot first, and didn't do
a lick of work before it died. The smell of plastic preceded each death.

Are you allowing the blade to cut at its own rate, or are you hoggin'
down on it to rush the cut? Are you using the circular blade? It
doesn't sound like it. That's the safe one which won't eat romex
cables which might be against the drywall.

If this had happened with the first unit I would have given up on the
tool completely, but the first one did a respectable amount of work
before it conked out. I finished trimming the existing drywall with a
box knife, and did just fine. I still think the rotary tool may be nice
to have for making the cutouts for the electrical boxes...if they have
another one which works.

I always run new tools for a few minutes without -any- load so the
brushes can break in and seat properly. I lost a brand new cutoff saw
from rushing things and don't want to do it again.

Larry Jaques[_2_] July 17th 10 05:36 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 16:39:23 -0400, Bill wrote the
following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Having purchased a few large assortment bit sets, it appears that
about 95% of the contents have gone entirely unused. But now that I
own one, I can replace most-used bits (like #2 square and #2 phillips)
in bulk more cheaply. The sets are usually not a good deal unless
they give you more of your most-used tips at a price less than you can
find them for individually. Your call.

I think that the set I mentioned about has about 6 #2 phillips, and 2
pairs of flatheads. I used a bit (not one of these) to screw in 36
2.5" wood screws yesterday in what seemed like 20 minutes. How do you
put a price on that! I seriously doubt I could have done it in a day by
hand. Only being a home-owner for 1 year, I'm new to using (power)
tools like this--but I'm impressed. I'd say the bit I mentioned above
did at least $75 worth of work already and saved me certain blisters.

Huh? We were talking screwdriver bit sets and now you're talking
about some unspecified power tool. Wut up wi dat, homey?

Bill[_37_] July 17th 10 06:06 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 16:39:23 -0400, wrote the
following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

My point was that screwdriver bits are cheap even if you pay $3/bit,
if you use them. The unspecified power tool here was just a bit driver.
Can't one go from bit to bit driver here without raising a ruckus?

Bill

Bill[_37_] July 17th 10 06:20 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 22:52:39 -0400, wrote the
following:

Harbor Freight provided me with a new Rotary Tool today and I bought
some of their 1.5" cutting bits (the ones I had used previously were 1",
but were not sold separately). They still fit the 1/8" collar.

I cut about 7 or 8 inches of drywall and "flash/smoke& stop", just
like the first one. This unit didn't even get hot first, and didn't do
a lick of work before it died. The smell of plastic preceded each death.

Are you allowing the blade to cut at its own rate, or are you hoggin'
down on it to rush the cut? Are you using the circular blade? It
doesn't sound like it. That's the safe one which won't eat romex
cables which might be against the drywall.

I was using what is called a "cut-off wheel" (1.5") on the package.
I was trying to let it cut at it's own rate. The 1" version that I got
as part of a set, seemed to work better (with the first unit). As I
mentioned, I had barely been using the second unit for 5 minutes before
it burned up. Perhaps when it started slipping I should have taken that
as a warning.

I always run new tools for a few minutes without -any- load so the
brushes can break in and seat properly. I lost a brand new cutoff saw
from rushing things and don't want to do it again.

I didn't know about this (confirmation anyone?), and I don't want to do
it again either! : ) I am almost afraid to take the one they gave me
today out of the package. I won't need it until I do my drywall
cut-outs anyway. If it fails, I'm going to try the B&D version (RTX-B),
which seems to get higher ratings. ~ $25 at WMT.

Bill

Bill[_37_] July 17th 10 09:25 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

BTW, that was a joke! : )

Bill

Larry Jaques[_2_] July 17th 10 06:01 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 01:06:09 -0400, Bill wrote the
following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

When switching from apples to oranges, the citric acid in the orange
ensures a sourness not previously tasted, kind sir.

Bill[_37_] July 19th 10 06:01 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

What would happen if you turn on the circuit breaker feeding a subpanel
before you intall any circuit breakers in the subpanel?

It seems like nothing should happen. Is this correct?

Bill

Puckdropper[_2_] July 19th 10 07:35 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

Bill wrote in :

What would happen if you turn on the circuit breaker feeding a subpanel
before you intall any circuit breakers in the subpanel?

It seems like nothing should happen. Is this correct?

Bill

Why? Did something happen?

With no return path, no circuit exists. The only thing that would happen
is the power may have a chance to find a return path, find none, and
nothing else happens. You're testing prematurely, no useful information
will be gained by turning power on this early.

Puckdropper

Lobby Dosser[_3_] July 19th 10 08:08 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

"Bill" wrote in message
What would happen if you turn on the circuit breaker feeding a subpanel
before you intall any circuit breakers in the subpanel?

It seems like nothing should happen. Is this correct?

Bill

As long as you keep your fingers out of it ...

Bill[_37_] July 19th 10 08:50 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in :

What would happen if you turn on the circuit breaker feeding a subpanel
before you intall any circuit breakers in the subpanel?

It seems like nothing should happen. Is this correct?

Bill

Why? Did something happen?

The CB blew. Since I last wrote I noted a small dot of residue on the
front of the clamp, right in the middle, and some minor residue below
on the wires. I had understood that this clamp (1"), onto the 6-3 romex
cable, isn't supposed to be too tight--and I just checked it again, by
my standards its not tight at all. Tight enough to hold the cable
surely, but I did not bear down on it by any means. One thing I did not
do is consider the rotational-orientation of the cable before I
tightened the clamp. Doing it over again, I would put a flat side of the
essentially triangularly cross-sectioned cable in the front (you'll only
appreciate the difference if you are familiar with the clamp). I was
busy focusing on the vertical orientation of the cable. I'll probably
learn more after I remove the clamp.

Question: I may or may not have left enough loose cable to pull enough
into the sub-panel to rewire it. I think it depends on which wire (s)
are damaged. If the bare ground wire damaged my shortest hot wire (and
this is my best guess at this point), then I may be okay. If not,
assuming just minor damage to the insulation on a conductor wire under
the clamp, is a repair possible?

Bill

With no return path, no circuit exists. The only thing that would happen
is the power may have a chance to find a return path, find none, and
nothing else happens. You're testing prematurely, no useful information
will be gained by turning power on this early.

I'm not sure I agree. ; )

Puckdropper

Mike Marlow[_2_] July 19th 10 01:40 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

Bill wrote:

The CB blew. Question: I may or may not have left enough loose cable to
pull enough
into the sub-panel to rewire it. I think it depends on which wire (s)
are damaged. If the bare ground wire damaged my shortest hot wire
(and this is my best guess at this point), then I may be okay. If
not, assuming just minor damage to the insulation on a conductor wire
under the clamp, is a repair possible?

I'd be surprised if the clamp damaged the wires. You did leave the outer
sheathing on the romex through the clamp, and only skinned it back after you
were inside the sub-panel, correct? If you have nicked a wire, then you
could repair it with electrical tape. I don't like to repair insulation if
I can avoid it at all. Why do you think the ground contacted the shortest
hot lead? That seems to imply you might think you had nicked the insultaion
on that lead. If that's the case, you never should have tried to power that
feed up. If I'm misunderstanding you, then try to re-state it.

--

-Mike-

Doug Miller July 19th 10 01:54 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

In article , Bill wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
wrote in :

What would happen if you turn on the circuit breaker feeding a subpanel
before you intall any circuit breakers in the subpanel?

It seems like nothing should happen. Is this correct?

Correct.

Why? Did something happen?

The CB blew.

(A point of terminology: fuses blow, circuit breakers trip.) That means
there's a connection someplace where there shouldn't be one. That connection
could be any one or more of the following: black to bare, black to white, red
to bare, red to white, or black to red.

Using a volt-ohm meter, and with the breaker OFF, make the following tests in
your subpanel:
a) Measure resistance between one hot lug and the grounding bar. There should
be no connection (infinite resistance).
b) Measure resistance between that hot lug and the neutral bar. Again, there
should be no connection.
c) Repeat a) and b) for the other hot lug.
d) Disconnect both incoming hot wires from their lugs and repeat the previous
four tests.
e) If the results differ in any way from the first four tests, measure the
resistance between the (now-disconnected) red and black wires at the subpanel
end of the cable. There should be no connection. If there is a connection,
the cable is damaged; STOP HERE.
f) If the results of the second set of tests are the same as the results of
the first set, continue.
g) Measure resistance between the black and the bare conductors in the cable.
h) Repeat for black and white.
i) Repeat for red and bare.
j) Repeat for red and white.

If you see anything other than infinite resistance in any of those tests,
disconnect IN THE SUBPANEL ONLY whichever wires were involved and repeat the
test.

If the results change, at least one of those wires was connected incorrectly
at at least one end, probably the subpanel end.

If the results are unchanged, most likely the cable is damaged. Disconnect the
other ends of the wires involved (in the main panel) and repeat the test. If
the results are unchanged, definitely the cable is damaged.

Since I last wrote I noted a small dot of residue on the
front of the clamp, right in the middle, and some minor residue below
on the wires.

What kind of "residue", Bill? Can you post a clear closeup photo?

[...]

If conductor insulation is damaged inside the cable sheath, the only "repair"
possible is removal of the damaged section. If you don't have enough cable
left to do that, then you'll need to buy more cable.

Bill[_37_] July 19th 10 07:28 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

The CB blew. Question: I may or may not have left enough loose cable to
pull enough
into the sub-panel to rewire it. I think it depends on which wire (s)
are damaged. If the bare ground wire damaged my shortest hot wire
(and this is my best guess at this point), then I may be okay. If
not, assuming just minor damage to the insulation on a conductor wire
under the clamp, is a repair possible?

I'd be surprised if the clamp damaged the wires. You did leave the outer
sheathing on the romex through the clamp, and only skinned it back after you
were inside the sub-panel, correct?

yes

If you have nicked a wire, then you
could repair it with electrical tape. I don't like to repair insulation if
I can avoid it at all. Why do you think the ground contacted the shortest
hot lead?

Just inspecting it, it appears that the ground wire had the best chance
to cause damage to the insulation (of another wire). It is true that I
adjusted the cable for vertical alignment while I was installing it
(basically clamping it twice). The slight residue indicated this is the
"hot spot".

That seems to imply you might think you had nicked the insultaion
on that lead. If that's the case, you never should have tried to power that
feed up. If I'm misunderstanding you, then try to re-state it.

I had no reason to believe I nicked the insulation. I will provide more
info after I remove the clamp.

Thanks!
Bill

Bill[_37_] July 20th 10 03:02 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

Bill wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote:
Bill wrote:

The CB blew. Question: I may or may not have left enough loose cable to
pull enough
into the sub-panel to rewire it. I think it depends on which wire (s)
are damaged. If the bare ground wire damaged my shortest hot wire
(and this is my best guess at this point), then I may be okay. If
not, assuming just minor damage to the insulation on a conductor wire
under the clamp, is a repair possible?

I'd be surprised if the clamp damaged the wires.

Well, it may have been the man who installed the clamp, but, speaking
for myself, I'd like to blame the clamp.
The pictures of the actual damage to the wire didn't come out
great, but I put those I have on my web site. To help you visit faster,
the stuff we are talking about here starts at two pictures of the clamp
(model), about 1/3 of the way down.

http://web.newsguy.com/MySite/

BTW, I also posted a new bird picture in case anyone might want to visit
just to look at that.

Bill

Bill[_37_] July 22nd 10 11:55 AM

Shop Wall and Electric

Many of you are well-familiar with my configuration. I live in
mid-Indiana and have attached brick garage/shop. It's currently not
served by AC or Heat, but I can easily imagine a small shop heater in
the future.

I am considering insulating most of the two unattached walls with 3 1/2"
batts (R-11 factor). The ceiling is not insulated over the shop area
(and it is not practical to insulate it at this time).

Would you advise me to insulate these two walls, as I've suggested
above, or to proceed in a different way (higher R-factor)? Besides
temperature, an additional benefit, I understand, is noise reduction for
your neighbors.

BTW (for those that have been following this thread), I'm in the process
of learning to do decent wiring. I haven't wasted/ruined any
(significant amount) yet, but I'm glad I bought more wire than I thought
I needed. I'm making good use of every wire-related tool I bought.
Strangely, it seems that every time I determine just the place I need to
measure, mark or cut cable, the tool I need is a few feet from my reach.
My favorite technique, one I learned on the Internet, is to remove the
conduit from the end of a romex cable by pulling the ground wire. I
mark the spot I want to remove it to, and I make sure I have at least an
extra inch, because it's tricky to "stop on a dime". It's my favorite
technique because I have great confidence that my conductor wires won't
get nicked (it's fast too)! I have definitely learned something! I'm
much less excited about learning to install insulation (fiberglass is
evidently nasty stuff).
The drywall part should be interesting. I've never cut and fit drywall
before but I've worked with drywall compound (30 years ago), and so I
have some idea what I'm up against. I am looking forward to seeing how
well I can tape and feather the joints. I'll find out whether I should
be permitted to work on the interior of the house or not. I hope so as I
have identified some work I'd like to re-do.

Best,
Bill

[email protected] July 22nd 10 01:54 PM

Shop Wall and Electric

On Jul 22, 5:55*am, Bill wrote:
[...]

Electricians use belts with tools always in the same place. No wasted
motions. Me? I constantly chase tools, like you. ;-)

* My favorite technique, one I learned on the Internet, is to remove the
conduit from the end of a romex cable by pulling the ground wire. *I
mark the spot I want to remove it to, and I make sure I have at least an
extra inch, because it's tricky to "stop on a dime". *It's my favorite
technique because I have great confidence that my conductor wires won't
get nicked (it's fast too)! *I have definitely learned something! *I'm
much less excited about learning to install insulation (fiberglass is
evidently nasty stuff).

Better yet, use an insulation cutter. It's a wire-cutter looking
thing with dog-bone shaped cutter jaws that just slice the outer
jacket of NM wire. After the jacket is cut, simply pull on the end
and it comes right off. I think the cutter was $20 at the BORG.

The drywall part should be interesting. I've never cut and fit drywall
before but I've worked with drywall compound (30 years ago), and so I
have some idea what I'm up against. I am looking forward to seeing how
well I can tape and feather the joints. *I'll find out whether I should
be permitted to work on the interior of the house or not. I hope so as I
have identified some work I'd like to re-do.

Tapered joints are easy, though doing a whole garage at once is not.
Butt joints are a PITA, at least for me. A garage at a time makes it
more difficult, but I tend to like the mix-it-yourself mud because
it's not water soluble after it sets. The premixed tends to soften
when you apply the next layer, leading to circular sessions of mud-
sand-mud-sand-mud.... OTOH, the premix stuff is water soluble, so can
be smoothed some with a wet sponge.

I'm sure you already know this, but if you're *ever* going to insulate
the garage, do it *now*. Well, do it this Winter. 100F, fiberglass,
and skin don't mix well.