Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
ken blais

Default any advise on aligning tablesaw blade/fence?

Hi everybody...
Recently got a tablesaw (general) and bought a WWII blade to go with it. At
first the blade kept burning wood, then i read the instructions that came
with the blade, they specify that the back of the fence should be about
..0001 further away from the blade than the front. Since i dont have anything
that precise to measure with, I set the fence as parallel as i could get it
(using a combination square, again, i'm just setting up shop and dont have
any fancy tools). I then ran a piece of 3/4 plywood thru. Yep. It burned. so
i did 1/8 turn on the fence adjustment screw and ran again. Burned again,
but not as much. Repeated process until no burning. Then I ripped a piece of
1x8 pine. no burns, but if you examine the cut by running your finger along
the edge, you can feel a 'hump' near what would have been the part to get
cut first. and when you place the joint back together and slide the wood to
a different location, the opposing sides are not completely flush. i'm
feeding the wood slowly and then using a push stick. is it my technique that
could be causing this, or is the blade/fence still unaligned. it seems as
though it's harder to push the stock thru after it gets halfway cut. i've
tried differnt blade heights, etc and still have yet to achieve the 'smooth
as glass' results that everyone on amazon talked about. i'm afraid this may
hinder gluing up panels, etc. perhaps if i had better measuring/aligning
tools it might be easier...

any and all advice will be appreciated.