vrhorton

Default any advise on aligning tablesaw blade/fence?

Ken,
Misaligned panels, burning, etc., can be the least of your problems.
Improperly aligned fences relative to the blade is the number two cause of
kickbacks which can be really MEAN (number one is poor feeding technique)!
Shortly after I got my first saw, I had a small piece of ply come up on the
back of the blade and come flying right back at my crotch!! Problem, poor
alignment . . .coupled with poor feed. Since that time I have invested in a
good set of alignment tools (there are several on the market . . . mine is
the TS Aligner JR. http://www.ts-aligner.com/tsalignerjr.htm . Granted it
was expensive, especially when you consider you should only need to align
periodically but is an excellent tool. I lend my set to several woodworking
friends in my area during the interim to align their equipment. . . spreads
out the cost.

-Verne

"ken blais" wrote in message
Hi everybody...
Recently got a tablesaw (general) and bought a WWII blade to go with it.

At
first the blade kept burning wood, then i read the instructions that came
with the blade, they specify that the back of the fence should be about
.0001 further away from the blade than the front. Since i dont have

anything
that precise to measure with, I set the fence as parallel as i could get

it
(using a combination square, again, i'm just setting up shop and dont have
any fancy tools). I then ran a piece of 3/4 plywood thru. Yep. It burned.

so
i did 1/8 turn on the fence adjustment screw and ran again. Burned again,
but not as much. Repeated process until no burning. Then I ripped a piece

of
1x8 pine. no burns, but if you examine the cut by running your finger

along
the edge, you can feel a 'hump' near what would have been the part to get
cut first. and when you place the joint back together and slide the wood

a different location, the opposing sides are not completely flush. i'm
feeding the wood slowly and then using a push stick. is it my technique

that
could be causing this, or is the blade/fence still unaligned. it seems as
though it's harder to push the stock thru after it gets halfway cut. i've
tried differnt blade heights, etc and still have yet to achieve the

'smooth
as glass' results that everyone on amazon talked about. i'm afraid this

may
hinder gluing up panels, etc. perhaps if i had better measuring/aligning
tools it might be easier...

any and all advice will be appreciated.