Charlie Self

Default Semi OT Electrical Question

Lew Hodgett writes:

Your tale reminds me of my first supervisor, a brilliant engineer who
designed and built his own home.

snip of lead in

This was not a knob and tube job since my supervisor did the work.

This obviously raised a red flag, but so be it.

As the story was related to me, my supervisor so totally overwhelmed the
inspector with information that it was unnecessary to baffle him with
bull****.

Today, in locals with good building inspection departments, a PE can sign off
on almost any building job and the inspector will OK it. Depends on the locale
and its rules whether or not the inspector has any options, but in many, he (or
she) is simply considered outranked, I guess.

Personally, I've seen PEs design things that are wondrous to behold and work
perfectly. And the next guy up designs something I wouldn't let my neighbor's
cats live in. But mostly they end up signing off on truss designs for site
built items, etc., at least in residential and light agricultural construction,
which is all I am familiar with.

Charlie Self
"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the
people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." Thomas Jefferson